Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 months and not talking

• 10-08-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

My little girl is 17 months old this week and she has very few words , she says dada and mammy but that is about it really . If she wants a drink she will shout for her "bob" athough I always call it a bottle and dont use "baby talk " I'm really concerned about her check up next month .
    She understands us very well if I ask her to pick up her toys or hand me something she will , she gets excited when i mention going for a walk or a bath and lights up if you even mention peppa pig( we do allow a limited amount of tv maybe this is to blame ) . I dont know really if I am worrying over nothing or not but I am concerned has anyone else got a child this age and can shed some light for a very worried mammy :( ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Don't worry about it. Kids learn to speak at different rates and none of them are wrong. I personally know a number of kids who didn't speak a word until they were almost 3 yrs old, and when they did start to speak it was in full sentences.

My 23-month old said her first word today - bird. My older child (now 4.5 yrs) was counting to 10 & speaking fluently on her 2nd birthday. Kids are different, don't stress about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

Thanks , I think i was just worried as the I had our Nurse out to do the heel prick test on my newest addition and she made a comment about Aoibheann's speach that upset me . Mind you I am feeling a bit soft at the moment :rolleyes:

1) congrats on the new addition

2) the last PHN visit we had w/ our daughter (about a month ago) she gave me the hairy eyebrow with that tone "she doesn't have any words??? Aren't you worried about that?!" She started talking about speech therapists, etc, but I know my daughter. She's an all-or-nothing kid, and when she's good & ready she'll be talking nonstop.

3) 17 months is early enough yet. Don't worry about it, plenty of time for it all.

Good luck w/ the newest :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Dont panic ..... have her hearing tested as she may need gromits (very common).

The OP explained that there's nothing wrong with the child's hearing or her comprehension, so I'd be wary of advising anything to do with grommets. That's only if the child suffers from ear infections which can cause loss of hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Don't worry at all, my first born was advanced at all the physical milestones but didn't talk until he was 2 1/2, all he said before then was mama dada and ball :) They all catch up in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My 18 month old has very few words too... Mammy, Daddy, Ball, Bobo, Tree and delicioso (we blame Dora for that one!), don't worry about it, they'll speak at their own rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I work in a creche and I have a 14 month old in my room who has sooo many words, and a 16 month old who only says 'bah' and 'ta'. All kids are different, its a little early to worry just yet, especially as she does have some words :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

January wrote: »
    delicioso

lmao :D:D:D Yep we use that one too :D

Congrats on the baby Crazyginlady!! Was just asking about you in the pregnancy thread..hope you're both doing well xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

lmao :D:D:D Yep we use that one too :D

Congrats on the baby Crazyginlady!! Was just asking about you in the pregnancy thread..hope you're both doing well xx

She said it off her own bat! We were eating dinner one day and she was "mmming" (she constantly goes "mmm mmm mmmmmmm" while eating!) and then went "delicioso" and my mam nearly fell off her chair laughing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My fella didn't say a word until about a month ago and now I have no idea how many words he knows. He started with ball, then has just been saying random words since. We've started pointing at things and asking him "what's that?" and he can give the answer to lots of things. Anything he doesn't know only takes 4-5 repeats.

I really thought I'd be able to keep track of his learning but it seems he spent months listening and learning before surprising us with his mad vocab.

Don't worry OP, she'll talk when she's ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I wouldn't worry about it, up to about 3 months ago my 2 year old cousin had only about 4 or 5 words - mama, baba, gaga (dog), nana and no! She understood most things you said to her, just wasn't much of a talker.
    However in the past 2/3 weeks she has started talking much more! She now repeats loads of things her older sister says and is saying little sentences herself.
    Kids develop in their own time, unless you have specific symptoms that you are worried about, relax :D they'll be talking before you know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyeyes

Totally agree with previous posters...don't be worrying at all! Children develop at their own pace!

Our oldest didn't walk until he was 15mths old and yet he had great speech at 12mths old! Our youngest walked at 11mths but her speech wouldn't be as advanced as her older brother's was at the same age, if that makes sense! Our youngest is now 20mths old and her favourite words are "no" and "dinner":D.

Advertisement