Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NSRA Bisley Meet

• 10-08-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭

Anyone else going over next week?

BountyHunter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭FLOYDSTER

I'm going the weekend agg and the double english match !, Demonloop and Intershoot will be there too!!;)
    Deffo more of a social event! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭BountyHunter

We'll not be arriving until Saturday evening, coming home on the Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Give us a bell when you arrive, theres a BBQ on site Saturday too, Bunhill Lodge.

'Floydster' has promised to perform a strip-tease on a table, whilst 'Intershoot' has been employed to perform alternative entertainment in the form of Irish Dancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

demonloop wrote: »
    Give us a bell when you arrive, theres a BBQ on site Saturday too, Bunhill Lodge.

'Floydster' has promised to perform a strip-tease on a table, whilst 'Intershoot' has been employed to perform alternative entertainment in the form of Irish Dancing.

I can Imagine Intershoot with his Black belt in Irish dancing :D

I must venture over to Bisley, all this after hours entertainment sounds good.
    Can people go to Bisley and shoot without being members?

Or how does one get involved in a shoot over there?
    I was looking at there first time shooter page and it's a tad confusing.
    Especially on the mention of Firearms and their limitations

*RIFLE
    A maximum calibre of .577” and a maximum
    muzzle velocity of 3200 ft/sec (1000m/s) and a
    maximum muzzle energy of 3319ft lbs (4500
    Joules).

†GALLERY RIFLES AND PISTOLS
    Defined as a maximum calibre of .455”, and a
    maximum muzzle velocity of 2150ft/sec (655
    m/s), and maximum muzzle energy of 1496ft lbs
    (2030 joules).

As 58grain .243 rounds are over 3200fps.
    I know they are not a target round, but in theory you can use them, or am I reading the Doc wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's an MOD range. You can't use anything that exceeds those limits.

• Advertisement

AFAIK, you can't shoot without a competency certificate from your NGB, I really should listen more but I think thats the story with fullbore. Doesn't apply to me, so I tend to switch off....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭BountyHunter

demonloop wrote: »
    'Intershoot' has been employed to perform alternative entertainment in the form of Irish Dancing.

Oh right, I thought it was MC Hammer...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

It's an MOD range. You can't use anything that exceeds those limits.

Actually it isn't, but it still has to conform with their rules. I think, for example, it shares a MoD danger area.

And you're right - you have to conform with the m.v. rule, no matter how light the bullet is.

I know they are not a target round, but in theory you can use them, or am I reading the Doc wrong?

There are several Midlands members who shoot in Bisley; why not ask them?

I think you'd be better served with heavier bullets for long range target shooting. What kind of velocity do you get with, say, the 107 SMK in the .243? Otherwise, haven't you got a .223 or a .308?

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    There are several Midlands members who shoot in Bisley; why not ask them?

I think you'd be better served with heavier bullets for long range target shooting. What kind of velocity do you get with, say, the 107 SMK in the .243? Otherwise, haven't you got a .223 or a .308?

I asked the question, because I did not know the answer.
    I rarely get to go to Midlands as I work weekends.

So I can't ask........

• Advertisement

I asked the question, because I did not know the answer.
    I rarely get to go to Midlands as I work weekends.

So I can't ask........

You gave the impression you were an active member of Midlands. My mistake.

PM d'Corbus instead; he's a member and shoots in Bisley.

You gave the impression you were an active member of Midlands. My mistake.

PM d'Corbus instead; he's a member and shoots in Bisley.

Why can't I get my answer here, and the general public benefit from the knowledge as-well?

Is this not what boards.ie is about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I can Imagine Intershoot with his Black belt in Irish dancing :D

I must venture over to Bisley, all this after hours entertainment sounds good.

I was looking at there first time shooter page and it's a tad confusing.
    Especially on the mention of Firearms and their limitations

*RIFLE
    A maximum calibre of .577” and a maximum
    muzzle velocity of 3200 ft/sec (1000m/s) and a
    maximum muzzle energy of 3319ft lbs (4500
    Joules).

†GALLERY RIFLES AND PISTOLS
    Defined as a maximum calibre of .455”, and a
    maximum muzzle velocity of 2150ft/sec (655
    m/s), and maximum muzzle energy of 1496ft lbs
    (2030 joules).

One thing that you didn't mention, mainly because it is not noted on the NRS website, is that the only ammunition you are permitted to use on the longer rifle ranges at Bisley are those that shoot a full metal jacketed bullet. NO expanding ammunition of any kind can be used - it is, after all, a TARGET rifle range, not a range for trying out a hunting load.

This is why most folks going to Bisley shoot an established target cartridge calibre - .223, .308, 6.5mm whatever, 7mm whatever, but not .243 or .270...

Exceptions to this are those gallery ranges where pistol-calibre firearms may be used, or black powder arms that use purely lead projectiles.

Just sayin'.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

PM d'Corbus instead.

Felt my ears burning!:D
    Please, don't PM me about this :rolleyes: - I wouldn't have the foggiest about how to go about popping along to shoot in Bisley on any given day.

And for the sake of clarity:
    he's a member

A member of Midlands - not of Bisley, in case anyone was wondering:rolleyes:
    That said, if I was to be spending more time in the UK, I'd definitely get some form of Bisley / NSC membership sorted out, as from what I've seen the facilities in the place are pretty cool - not least the atmosphere and tradition which fairly oozes out of the ground and the buildings there!

If you do get the chance to visit and shoot in Bisley, it's well worth the trip IMO.
    d'Corbus...shoots in Bisley.

That would be more than a wee bit of an exaggeration - More correctly stated: He has shot in Bisley, but it wouldn't be really correct to say I shoot in Bisley on any sort of a regular basis. TBH I've only been there during organised competition - so how one would go about shooting in Bisley as a non-member on a "come-as-you-go" basis is something I wouldn't have the foggiest notion about.

For tackleberrywho, his best bet IMO would be to talk to chaps down the Midlands range etc who have shot at Bisley outside of competition days and who would be far better informed than I on this.

Anyhoooo.......

@ tackleberrywho - Back on topic: this event the lads were posting about is an NSRA smallbore shoot, so not something you'd be geared up for (yet! :) ) - although maybe you could be persuaded to don a gimp suit, lose the scope, and try some rather tricky shooting at some point in the future!;);):D

ATB dC:cool:

It's OK dC

A member of said range PM'ed me, explained everything to me.
    I was fairly sure you were not a member, other wise I would have spoken to you directly about it.

I do know a RCO who I could have asked, but I did not want to disturb him s he is a very busy man and I thought Boards was as good place to get an answer as any, I know one of the Boyos that is going to Bisley this week, but I know he does not shoot centrefire and therefore I posted question here.

But it's OK, I have all my answers now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Some of the guys who went to the phoenjx in bisley to shoot gallery brought their centrefires with them to shoot the McQueen match so you could ask them - dont think any of em read boards tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Bananaman wrote: »
    Some of the guys who went to the phoenjx in bisley to shoot gallery brought their centrefires with them to shoot the McQueen match so you could ask them - dont think any of em read boards tho

Then they should - there is a lot of useful information to be found here.

tac

Actually it isn't, but it still has to conform with their rules. I think, for example, it shares a MoD danger area.

And you're right - you have to conform with the m.v. rule, no matter how light the bullet is.

Bisley Camp, and all the ranges therein is MOD property. Always has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Er. Well. Most of the ranges and all of the danger area is MoD, but not all of the camp is (though frankly, they'd be more than welcome to the A-lines...)

Also, there's an FAQ on shooting on the fullbore ranges in Bisley (and lots of info on the certification requirements to shoot on MoD ranges) on the NRA website that might answer your questions Tack.

Sparks wrote: »
    Er. Well. Most of the ranges and all of the danger area is MoD, but not all of the camp is (though frankly, they'd be more than welcome to the A-lines...)

Also, there's an FAQ on shooting on the fullbore ranges in Bisley (and lots of info on the certification requirements to shoot on MoD ranges) on the NRA website that might answer your questions Tack.

I was always under the impression the whole lands were on long term lease, but still MOD property

"The ranges at Bisley are leased from the MoD on a long-term lease."

From here...
    http://www.nra.org.uk/common/asp/content/content.asp

Of course it's a lease that will unlikely ever be revoked...

All the above could be old wives tales but thats the only version I've ever heard...

• Advertisement

I always thought that the LRC wasn't an MoD range though demonloop...

I always thought that the LRC wasn't an MoD range though demonloop...

Ditto the clay range AFAIK, but I was always under the impression the land of the whole camp was MOD estate, albeit on lease to the NRA, who subsequently sublet to NSRA/CPSA

I think we're actually in agreement, but I mean the land the ranges are built on, rather than the ranges themselves.

Its probably a moot point (and a bit pedantic on my behalf) anyhow as the lease will never end (fingers crossed), but I'd say the name on the land registry is MOD/Defence Estates/Crown*

*insert your preference :)

True, but the details of who owns what are kindof important in this case as it means you don't need an MoD certification in order to shoot on the airgun range upstairs in the LRC :D

True, but the details of who owns what are kindof important in this case as it means you don't need an MoD certification in order to shoot on the airgun range upstairs in the LRC :D

True, but the certification only applies to real guns anyhow

*tin hat on*

True. On the other hand, it doesn't apply at all if you show up on the wrong day...
    :p

My understanding is that the NRA(UK) has the lands of the camp and ranges on a long-term, substantially exclusive, lease of some sort, and, along with other partners, uses them primarily for sport target shooting. To my mind that does not constitute an "MoD range" irrespective of who has the freehold, and unlike, say, Ballykinler.

The danger area may be another matter.

The ranges freehold does rather matter Mr.Fibble, because without MoD certification (which the NRA can arrange), you don't get to shoot on them, NRA member or no.

The ranges freehold does rather matter Mr.Fibble, because without MoD certification (which the NRA can arrange), you don't get to shoot on them, NRA member or no.

Even if that's true it still doesn't make it an MoD Range in the normally accepted sense.

Definitely doesn't make them British Army ranges Mr.Fibble, but since the MoD oversee the certification process that says whether or not you can shoot on them, and since the MoD write the rules as to what can and cannot be shot on them, I think you'd have to call them MoD ranges unless you had some fairly odd definition of what an MoD range was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement