Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned From Donegal Forum

Options
  • 10-08-2011 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I've had to create a new username to post this, as I have been unable to post on here for 5 days as firblog: helpdesk is looking into that issue but I'd like this dealt with incase it takes a while to sort that out.

I have previously received an infraction (which I am appealing) from mod Muffler on the same ‘northern holidaymakers’ thread for arguing with a mod.

How ban came about....

Mod Muffler posted

“And I am sending out a clear message here and now to anyone else who harbors any notions that they can insult and tarnish the good name of the majority of NI visitors to this county - you are not welcome here in this forum”

After this no one posted on this thread for 3 days; then I posted

“Looks as though that's ended the thread...

Reminds me of the old adage ' if you can't say something good about someone, don't say anything bad ' an obviously... “

Next I received a pm from Homer_simpson

“You have been banned from Donegal for the following duration:

14 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Arguing with a mod”

I have contacted Homer as per the dispute resolution process but he will not remove the ban; he has offered to reduce the ban which I have refused, as I do not believe that anyone can look at that post and take out of it that I in anyway disagreed with what was posted by muffler.

He as also refused to change the post on the thread in which he delivered the ban, I asked him to ammend it as I and at least one other took his post to mean that I had been posting anti norther comments (if this could be looked at too I'd be grateful)

I’d be grateful if someone could investigate this, talk to homer_simpson and get this resolved.

Cheers.

Firblog. (real username)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hi,

I am looking into this now.

I have looked into this and decided to reduce the ban to a week,as its now just over the week I will reinstate your forum access.

Dub13

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Do you believe that the ban should have been applied in the first place? I was not arguing with the mods post.. Homer_simpson offered to reduce the ban to a week when I contacted him last week.

A reduction of the ban is not what I'm looking for here, I'm looking for a removal of the ban, not a little compromise that it's hoped will keep everyone happy.

If you cannot comment on any post by a mod without getting banned perhaps you should all put that on your posts...

Firblog wrote: »
    Do you believe that the ban should have been applied in the first place? I was not arguing with the mods post.. Homer_simpson offered to reduce the ban to a week when I contacted him last week.

Homer_simpson offered to reduce the ban as you are a regular poster on the forum and so was willing to do that in this case.

I do agree with the ban,I think 2 weeks was a bit long and we have rectified that.The thread was a bit 'on the edge' to start with.If it was another user posting after the mod warning it may have been dealt with slightly different,but your started a contentious thread,you pushed a certain opinion/view and you posted again after the mod warning.

The mods don't want this kind of stuff on the forum,like the Dublin mods don't want all the northside/southside crap on that forum.So sometimes they need to be harsh to protect the forum,this IMO is one of those occasions.
    A reduction of the ban is not what I'm looking for here, I'm looking for a removal of the ban, not a little compromise that it's hoped will keep everyone happy.

Well we cant remove the ban as its in the past,so what you are looking for is it removed from your record.As I have said I agree with it so thats of the agenda as fair as I am concerned.

Perhaps posts like

"I suppose that overall they do have a positive impact on the local economy - spending more money than it costs to service their needs - but in a lot of cases they're actually a drain on our resources"could be construed as "pushing a certain opinion/view" on the thread alright; and just the type of thing I'd expect to raise the hackles of those who don't want to have anyone posting who disagrees with their own view on the subject.

I was surprised at the admission that I was being treated differently than other posters would be, as muffler maintained that I was being treated the same as anyone else on the thread....

Who to believe....

• Advertisement

I was surprised at the admission that I was being treated differently than other posters would be, as muffler maintained that I was being treated the same as anyone else on the thread....

What I meant by treated differently was you were a poster who has a history on the forum,so I am sure the forum mods treated it different than if you were just new to the forum.

Look at it form the mods point of view,they were not mad about the thread and could see the direction it would end up going but gave it some slack and decided to see were it went.

Then when it went pear shaped they tried to step in and stop it,now they are been accused of stifling debate.Its a classic no win situation for the mods.

Dub13 wrote: »

Look at it form the mods point of view,they were not mad about the thread and could see the direction it would end up going but gave it some slack and decided to see were it went.

QUOTE]

I see, whereas if there is a thread that the mods are mad about you can slag away at people as is evidenced by the thread on 'miss donegal entry for miss ireland' one; classy...

Tell ye what just mark this as resolved, I'll take my new 2 week ban for expressing views that are contrary to mufflers on that thread gladly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement