Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of living in Belfast?

Options
  • 10-08-2011 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

What kind of lifestyle would £37.5k provide for a small family in Belfast?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Is that an annual salary or a windfall? Also is there a mortgage or rent to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

pow wow wrote: »
    Is that an annual salary or a windfall? Also is there a mortgage or rent to pay?

Annual gross salary. I'll be renting prob. 3 bed house app. 600-800pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

That is one of the strangest questions that I've read in a long time! :)

I would say it is practically unanswerable!

After tax and rent you'd be looking £20k. Then £6000-£7000 for sustenance for a family of 4 (reduce that by 20% if you are more an Iceland guy than a Tesco guy), maybe £1000 for bills, £1000 fuel for a car p.a., That leaves ~£11k for lifestyle.

What lind of lifestyle do you want? Would you want to put aside a couple of grand for savings? Holiday? Christmas presents for the wee ones? Might leave you with £6k...

OK, 6gs to play with...

Let's just say you won't be living like Hugh Heffner, but 6 grand would get you 80-odd half hour in-call stints with one of the average prozzies in Belfast.

Can't be bad. The clap-clap clinic is free, you'd be mad not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

£37.5k is far from a shabby salary in Northern terms so el tel's post is spot on.

Thanks for the replys, think I'll give the pros a miss but everything else sounds good. Whats Lurgan or Lisburn like to live in? Ive two teens comming with me, is there much to do with kids there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Think someone else recently moved here to Lisburn lately on here. Got Cinema,Laser Quest, Swimmin pool. Dam all nightlife here though, ppl usually head on till Belfast and getta taxi back. Think 1 club but was dead last time went there a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The teens will not forgive you for moving to Lurgan or Lisburn! Are they at school age? If yes, you really want to take that into consideration too.

el tel wrote: »
    The teens will not forgive you for moving to Lurgan or Lisburn! Are they at school age? If yes, you really want to take that into consideration too.

Where would be a good area to look for a house thats close to the M1? The kids are 11 and 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement