Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A bit of play on my back wheel - Help

• 10-08-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

I've noticed a bit play in my back wheel. A bit hard to explain. It feels almost as if the hub was 1mm too narrow. I have crashed that bike many times ... I compared with my other bike and there is no play at all.

I noticed as well that the back wheels dismount itself on it's own. The skewers are properly tight. It has happened with different type of skewers too, many times.

I was racing last night and I noticed the wheel wasn't attached to the drops after I crossed the finish. I was high from racing so I wasn't very bothered.

This is my bike

I am wondering if the stays could have been damaged in my latest crash back in may. I did break a skewer. Does carbon stretch?

If the sh!tty irish roads do that to my bike, it would also happen to others.

Something isn't right...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Rule No1 in bike trouble is that it's never what you think it is.

Looks like my back wheel's hub is loose. I wonder is it something common with Braccianos. I tightened it again, but will have to get the wheel looked at.

Should investigate further next time I post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Just beat me to it! Def hub problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Cones loose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I have a pair of Pro-Lite Luciano's, an entry level Pro-Lite wheel and not on a par with the Bracciano's but I had an issue with this wheel seeming to loosen over time and it turned out to be the Pro-Lite skewer. I was taking the wheel off the bike once a week (swapping for a turbo trainer wheel) and I was having to adjust the tension/nut on the skewer more often than I would have expected when putting the wheel back on. I didn't really pay any attention to it until I noticed that my wheel was a little loose in the frame one day. When I took the wheel off again I found that the skewer handle was quite stiff to lock even with no pressure against it. It's a sort of open design where the skewer handle rotates on the skewer end and it obviously gets exposed to dirt and grime - I added some oil to that area, which freed up the handle, and that solved the problem. Basically I thought I had been clamping the wheel tightly to the frame but most of the resistance I felt when closing the skewer was entirely due to the roughness of the skewer handle rotating, so in reality I was really only lightly clamping the wheel in place.

If the skewers on the Bracciano's are the same or similar this might be the issue you are experiencing too.

doozerie wrote: »
    If the skewers on the Bracciano's are the same or similar this might be the issue you are experiencing too.
    I using planet X Ti skewers. I had the same issue w/ the prolite skewers. Has to be the wheels hub :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I using planet X Ti skewers.
    Those P X Ti skewers should go well with these. Solved!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Lemag wrote: »

Lemag, stop trying to get people to spend their hard earned money;)

OP,get some cone spanners and ring end spanners ant tighten it OR even better go to your LBS and they may sort it, IF they are any good!:p

Holyboy wrote: »
    Lemag, stop trying to get people to spend their hard earned money;)

OP,get some cone spanners and ring end spanners ant tighten it OR even better go to your LBS and they may sort it, IF they are any good!:p
    Stop trying to get people to spend their hard earned money in your place ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Loose cones would certainly explain play in the wheel while in the frame but if the wheel is dislodging itself from the dropouts then that sounds like a different issue to me (possibly a missing washer/spacer on the axle maybe?). Both problems could be occuring of course, each with a different cause.

@caroline_ie: It would be worth checking the distance between the outer locknuts on the Bracciano axle and comparing it to another rear wheel that you have. They should be the same. It's a tricky one to measure though as the cassette and hub flanges get in the way of simply sliding a rule through the spokes and reading it accurately by eye. A tricky but effective method is to rest the face of the locknut on the block side on the edge of a flat table (so the protruding axle bit is off the edge of the table), stand a ruler on the table as close to the hub as you can get, and then rest something flat and straight on top of the other locknut which stretches as far as the ruler and read the measurement where it meets the ruler. ...I'm sure there must be a simpler and clearer way of describing that!

They're supposed to be heavy and not that great. Wheels won't make me faster... but they would make me look good.

• Advertisement

They're supposed to be heavy and not that great. Wheels won't make me faster... but they would make me look good.
    It's all about the look :pac: If the claimed weight is accurate then they're not very heavy considering how deep they are. 82mm front and 101mm back. Hope you sort out your Braccianos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Is it down to corrosion in the hub? I had a problem with play at the hub (very noticable at the rim). When I opened up the hub it was shot to bits and I had to replace it. If it was less serious, it could have been cleaned out, regreased and had the bearings replaced. One way or the other, I think you need to have a look inside or ask the LBS to do it.

Advertisement