Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LHC@Home 2.0 and the Higgs Boson

• 10-08-2011 7:13pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://lhcathome.web.cern.ch/LHCathome/Physics/

From Cern and the original LHC project, comes a newer version to simulate Higgs boson production. It's a tad more ambitious than other projects as it requires the use of VirtualBox to create virtual machine images for the testing.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

As described it start Virtualbox and loads an image of Scientific Linux, which in turn then handles all the messaging/work processing. Currently you can only get 1 WU at a time, so running a single WU on my i7 965, gave it 1 out of 8 threads, and took 24 hours and change to complete. Credit was only 548 which seems to be horribly underpaying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

are these the same credits as you get for FAH? how is it underpaying?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

eth0 wrote: »
    are these the same credits as you get for FAH? how is it underpaying?

The credits on BOINC based projects are different from F@H and are in units of cobblestones, and in principal should be standardised across all projects. This doesn't always work, particularly in cases of GPU based clients where the maths involved can be sensitive to the idiosyncrasies of the GPU used. But it should be much better behaved on CPU clients. In this case I'd normally get about 10 to 12k per day on my current CPU, but would only get 4 to 5k from Test4Theory.

Advertisement