Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB ATM Castlebar

Options
  • 10-08-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Ok, Today I tried to take out money at an AIB ATM machine in Castlebar. I have a Bank Of Ireland laser card. I got as far as selecting how much I wanted before the screen went blank and then an internet explorer error message came on the screen. My card did not come back out. As it was 4.35pm the doors of the bank was closed but there was still staff inside. I rang the bell and a lady answererd and I explained what just happened. She said there was nothing she could do as the ATM was 'time locked' and I had to come back tomorrow to get my card back. I find it hard to believe she couldnt get the card for me. I understand mney may be time locked but I am pretty sure the cards are in another conpartment away from money. She didnt even bother to see what sort of error was on the screen. She was not very helpful and now I have to drive 40 miles back to castlebar tomorrow to get my card. About half an hour later I passed the bank and the ATM was working again. I will be calling to customer services tomorrow also to let them know what happened. Jesus i hate banks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jordo333 wrote: »
    Ok, Today I tried to take out money at an AIB ATM machine in Castlebar. I have a Bank Of Ireland laser card. I got as far as selecting how much I wanted before the screen went blank and then an internet explorer error message came on the screen. My card did not come back out. As it was 4.35pm the doors of the bank was closed but there was still staff inside. I rang the bell and a lady answererd and I explained what just happened. She said there was nothing she could do as the ATM was 'time locked' and I had to come back tomorrow to get my card back. I find it hard to believe she couldnt get the card for me. I understand mney may be time locked but I am pretty sure the cards are in another conpartment away from money. She didnt even bother to see what sort of error was on the screen. She was not very helpful and now I have to drive 40 miles back to castlebar tomorrow to get my card. About half an hour later I passed the bank and the ATM was working again. I will be calling to customer services tomorrow also to let them know what happened. Jesus i hate banks!!

Check with before you drive back, they might insist on posted it to your branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

jordo333 wrote: »

How can you be pretty sure they are in a seperate compartment from the cash?

The ATM I had was completely enclosed in a safe, which could only be opened at certain times.

What ATM have you got experience of?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The ATM itself might not have been timelocked, but I'd imagine the keys to open the cover were. In the branch where I work the keys are only available for the hour that the ATM is being filled, the rest of the time they're inaccessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

I dont know about AIB but my card got swallowed by an Ulster Bank and Halifax machine before and staff just opened a slot at the top which only had cards in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jordo333

How can you be pretty sure they are in a seperate compartment from the cash?

The ATM I had was completely enclosed in a safe, which could only be opened at certain times.

What ATM have you got experience of?

A friend who was with me used to work for AIB and reckoned she could have got my card from the ATM. It is seperate to the money. He seen it done before and said no matter if the ATM was time locked the card could still have been got. It was home time and she had no interest in helping me. that is why I am really annoyed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Closing time with few staff and no customers would be a nice time to rob a bank, maybe the bank's security policy is to leave these things till regular working hours... Were you dressed like a bank robber by any chance, maybe you had one of those nice new designer swag bags with you.....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭valm

This happened to me in AIB Galway but the bank was open. I called in and a very helpful lady retrieved it for me no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

ATMs have access to the section holding the retained cards and receipts etc. Main cash part is time locked.

Op, also remember your lucky they even opened the door! With all the security they certainly took a chance.

Advertisement