Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lepto vaccination of calves

• 10-08-2011 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭

Should i vaccinate my replacement heifer calves for lepto? I've never done it before and saw a small piece in the papers about doing them at 6 months which i've never done before. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

never heard of them being done that young before... we do the replacement heifers for the first time about 6 weeks before service then they are done every 6 months after that... some people get away with doing them once a year but we dont:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I probably read it wrong. I was reading on the tractor bringing the cows and i was surprised but i think i read it elsewhere earlier this year. Random things like that stay in my head for some reason. I will go through the stuff on the tractor in the morning and try to make sense of it.

Thanks whelan1

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

"Leptospirosis, including hardjo-bovis, can be prevented. Prevention, however, requires vaccination before infection."

That is a quote from a manufacturer of a lepto vaccine. Sorry I don't have a proper link. Lepto vaccine doesn't clear an infection, but will decrease shedding in an infected animal, therefore a certain lepto vaccine recommends vaccinating replacement heifers before they are possibly exposed. They have to be rid of all the maternal antibodies from the colostrum so the earliest is after 4 wks I think but please check the data sheet.

Personally I let people know this but depends upon the individual farm whether or not they need to.

Advertisement