Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a TV

• 10-08-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hoping to move into our new house which is nearing completion in about 8 weeks time.

We plan on mounting a tv on the chimney breast in our sitting room. We would have plenty of room for a 40+ inch one.

Can somebody explain the difference in plasma, led, and lcd to me and which would you recommend.

Got a demo of a 3d tv in an electrical shop but have been told that you have to have a full sky subscription to get the relevant 3d channels, is this right? Would it be worth buying a 3d tv solely for dvds?

What particular model would ye all recommend?

Apologies for all the questions but want to make the right choice after splashing out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cianmc123

Led is far better than plasma or lcd as they picture is clearer and colours are more defined!
    I would wait until harvey norman or currys have a big sale again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

cianmc123 wrote: »
    Led is far better than plasma or lcd as they picture is clearer and colours are more defined!

no its not.

LED is more vibrant (aka "in your face" bright) than plasma. a good plasma gives far more natural and real looking colours and better movement. LED will always looks very colourful & bright in the shops but its too much for when you have it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Hi OP, not looking to hijack youir thread.... too much ;-) Have some info below which might help you, and am in similar situation to you but moving into new aprtment at weekend and looking to get sorted ASAP.

Last night I was in Curry and Harvey Norman... they have a mind boggling (for me ) collection of TV's. I wrote down a few prices:

46"
    Panasonic TX46ST30B 1449
    Sony KDL46EX723 1400
    Samsung UE46D500 989

47"
    LG 47D450 569
    LG 47LV450V 1300

40"
    Sony KDL40CX523 670
    Samsung LE40C652 659

Hardley Normal:
    42"
    Philips 42pfl540SHG49 649
    Panasonic TX-L42D2sL 699
    Panasonic TX-L42S30B 750
    Panasonic TX-L42GT20L 799
    Panasonic TX-L42S(T?)30B 1199
    Panasonic TX-L42630B 949

Have no idea of any or all these are good, mostly animations running in the shops, or in Curry's some bland text based advertising.
    Almost impossible to judge picture quality, but Hardly Normal had some proper feed, and to be honest all the TV's I looked at there were good.
    So that's good and bad I think!

Can anyone make a stab at recommending or removing some of these from the list? I don't watch cartoons, but watch DVD and will have UPC cable.
    Will get a Blu-ray player as well. Sound quality is very important, I see a lot of otherwise repectable TV's in hotels with bad sound or blown speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

hi, you cant go wrong with a samsung 40inch LED 5 series 5100 class, i got mine around 6 months ago and its a lovely piece of technology,reduced from 1100 to 700 but got it for 680, there are pros and cons for all 3 kinds but id recommend a samsung regardless.mind you the 6 series is out and maybe even the 7 series at this stage.
    sound is good too, but if you can get your hands on a decent surround sound system your laughing

for optimal picture quality as far as i know what you need is 1080p resolution, full HD, the more Herz the better, i have only 60 hz but its grand, if you watch a lot of sport then 100-600 hz might be an option.a few HDMI connections to hook up you ps3, blueray, surround sound etc.
    but as i said Samsung would be worth a look, there considered to be the better brand for tv, but to the untrained eye or ear, they would be the same as any tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Thanks for the replies lads, some food for thought.

Anyone any experience of a 3d tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Well, my experience is it's a nice, interesting gimmick. I wouldn't feel too comfortable with it tbh. In fact my new TV bought in Hardly Normal today doesn't have it

http://www.harveynorman.ie/tx-l42e30b.html

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/panasonic-tx-l42e30b-938320/review?artc_pg=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Not a 3D fan. Over rated money making gimmick in my opinion.

5 series Samsungs wouldn't set my heart racing either,similar to many of their other sets.

The Philips ambi light tv's look excellent on a wall. Here's good value for a 46 if you'd go that big
    http://philipsshop.ie/nineseries.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

hi, you cant go wrong with a samsung 40inch LED 5 series 5100 class, i got mine around 6 months ago and its a lovely piece of technology,reduced from 1100 to 700 but got it for 680, there are pros and cons for all 3 kinds but id recommend a samsung regardless.mind you the 6 series is out and maybe even the 7 series at this stage.
    sound is good too, but if you can get your hands on a decent surround sound system your laughing

for optimal picture quality as far as i know what you need is 1080p resolution, full HD, the more Herz the better, i have only 60 hz but its grand, if you watch a lot of sport then 100-600 hz might be an option.a few HDMI connections to hook up you ps3, blueray, surround sound etc.
    but as i said Samsung would be worth a look, there considered to be the better brand for tv, but to the untrained eye or ear, they would be the same as any tv.

Just to let you know I recently bought the Samsung LED 7 series. Built-in Freesat receiver. All Share compatible so I can share my videos / music / photos via my pc / phone / tv. 3d is a bit of a gimmick but it has the wow factor. Must get some 3d dvds to get the full use of it. Also downloaded the Remote contol app to the phone. Very gadgety and nerdy I know but it's :cool:

Advertisement