Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

G-Money wrote: »
    I have an Irish card. It's possible I misread this, I thought Sky were adding Channel 5 to the Irish EPG.

Yes, you did misread it, the channel 5 family will not be added to the Irish EPG in the near or foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Had channel 5 before using this trick but it was blocked,card is ITV Granada.
    Re-did the trick today and no channel 5 appears at all even though I tuned all of them in a couple months ago.Thought all were free to air now.
    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong??
    Have the frequencies changed?

HELP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I don't think a Granada card will put Channel 5 on to the EPG using the card trick. I buy and sell these cards and one that I know that defenitely works is a Central Region one. I tried the trick with a Granada one and I couldn't get ch 5 on the EPG at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

pbarr wrote: »
    I don't think a Granada card will put Channel 5 on to the EPG using the card trick. I buy and sell these cards and one that I know that defenitely works is a Central Region one. I tried the trick with a Granada one and I couldn't get ch 5 on the EPG at all.

I reckon it will now - I had a London card which didn't work until last week - now it does

It did the last time I did it! Channel 5 was on 105.
    Has anything changed in the last few weeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

celj wrote: »
    Had channel 5 before using this trick but it was blocked,card is ITV Granada.
    Re-did the trick today and no channel 5 appears at all even though I tuned all of them in a couple months ago.Thought all were free to air now.
    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong??
    Have the frequencies changed?

HELP!

This is the new frequency for the CH5 family

freq 10965
    s/r 22000
    polarity h
    fec 5/6

greendom wrote: »
    I reckon it will now - I had a London card which didn't work until last week - now it does

Thats good to know, its a number of weeks since I tried the Granada one and it didn't work so its hard to what the OPs problem is.

greendom wrote: »
    This is the new frequency for the CH5 family

freq 10965
    s/r 22000
    polarity h
    fec 5/6

Thanks!
    Can confirm channel 5 now works with Granada card!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

It also works with a scottish card too. Though, you dont get ITVHD, but all the Five channels work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

has anyone else lost itv+1, i have all the others from card trick but lost itv+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Mine is OK, Meridian is my +1 region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

smodgley wrote: »
    has anyone else lost itv+1, i have all the others from card trick but lost itv+1
    If your region is wales or westcrountry try 11052v 22,000 5/6

energy1942 wrote: »
    If your region is wales or westcrountry try 11052v 22,000 5/6

that did the trick thank you but its 11052 H , thanks a million

smodgley wrote: »
    that did the trick thank you but its 11052 H , thanks a million
    It was a bit early in the morning for me, having woken up properly I can now tell the difference between v& h and can also spell westcountry.

energy1942 wrote: »
    It was a bit early in the morning for me, having woken up properly I can now tell the difference between v& h and can also spell westcountry.

lol never even noticed the misspelling

• Advertisement

Here's a little Christmas bump for a thread that should be stickied :D

I'm sure there are still people out there that aren't aware of this great 'card trick'

Has anyone noticed that after doing the card trick with whatever region card you have if you insert a Scottish freeview card that it puts BBC1 and 2 on 101 and 102 along with RTE1 and Network 2. Haven't noticed that happening with any other region cards.

Doesn't it do this with them all if you have the correct region BBC1+2 for that card stored in your other channels. Mine has BBC1+2 as well as RTE1+2 on 101 and 102, its an Anglia East region card.

DigiDec wrote: »
    Doesn't it do this with them all if you have the correct region BBC1+2 for that card stored in your other channels. Mine has BBC1+2 as well as RTE1+2 on 101 and 102, its an Anglia East region card.

I don't know Digidec but I bought some cards and I try selling them but whenever I get some cards I usually stick them in the sky box to see if they are active and working but the Scottish one is the only one that puts on the BBCs.
    Actually it looks like you are right I'm just after checking the other channels and BBC Scotland is the only one thats stored so looks like thats the reason.
    If I tuned in all the other BBCs would they go in in the same way on 101 and 102 after doing the card trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

They do indeed have bbc 1 midlands and rte 1 on 101, bbc 2 england and rte 2 on 102, you can select the correct channel 4 region to get channel 4 and tg4 on 104

• Advertisement

Yeah that's it, just put the correct region for the card into other channels and it will appear on the EPG after you do the trick.

Thanks for that,problem solved. :)

Welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Am using a London card and redid the boot last night and now have all the Five channels as well now! Happy Days :D

Only problem is an ESB powercut today means having to redo it all again this evening! :(

Small price to pay ....)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭thebrush

Hi All,

Done the "card trick" great!:D But just noticed Sky Anytime isn't working,not really that bothered, but wondering has it happened to anyone else?

Cheers
    Damo.

It'll rebuild itself over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭thebrush

Ahh ok as i say wasn't that fussed but good to know.
    Thank You.

I don't know Digidec but I bought some cards and I try selling them but whenever I get some cards I usually stick them in the sky box to see if they are active and working but the Scottish one is the only one that puts on the BBCs.
    Actually it looks like you are right I'm just after checking the other channels and BBC Scotland is the only one thats stored so looks like thats the reason.
    If I tuned in all the other BBCs would they go in in the same way on 101 and 102 after doing the card trick.

I have tuned in BBC1 and 2 Northern Ireland and Channel 4 NI in the other channels and redone the card trick with the NI card but BBC1 and 2 still don't go to 101 and 102 and Channel 4 has gone to 104.
    The same thing is still happening then when I put in and take out the Scottish card after doing the trick BBC1 and 2 Scotland jump in but it won't happen with the NI card.
    Its no big deal to have the BBCs Scotland on 101 and 102 but I'm just wondering is this happenin to anybody else using a NI card.

Your ROI sub card will override the card trick and will put BBC1+2 NI on 141/142 or 234/142. depending on whether or not you have an HD sub. Same goes for BBC3+4, they will stay on 229+230.

• Advertisement

But its strange the way the Scottish one overides what the Irish sub one does and it doesn't work like that the other way round.

Its because the NI region is on the ROI sub and the Scottish region isn't on the ROI sub.

Its because the NI region is on the ROI sub and the Scottish region isn't on the ROI sub.

Thanks Dec, that makes sense allright.

no worries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Happy Christmas to all & happy ITV & C5 etc viewing. Thanks to gtg60 on this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Tried this today and all was working fine to begin with. However I'm now getting a "System Error phone Sky" message when I try to pause or record. This is happening on all channels, not just the extra ones.

Anyone else seen this error?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 air2000

Another strange side effect

Due to power failure my EPG has reset to the Irish EGP did not get a chance to redo the card trick however a series link for ITV1 is still recording even the channel is not even on the EPG.

Great that even if the EGP resets the series links to freeview channels still work!

Mat

SkySter wrote: »
    Tried this today and all was working fine to begin with. However I'm now getting a "System Error phone Sky" message when I try to pause or record. This is happening on all channels, not just the extra ones.

Anyone else seen this error?
    this happened to me before and to correct this it required a system rebuild, which meant I lost all my recordings, which is why since then I always transfer important recordings on to disc ASAP.

Yes, its a sign of hard disk failure/problem, try re-booting the box first and do a planner rebuild before doing the system reset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Yes, its a sign of hard disk failure/problem, try re-booting the box first and do a planner rebuild before doing the system reset.

Thanks for the tips. Had to do a full reset and that sorted it.

Glad you are sorted and Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Anyone have any idea where I can get a FTV card so I can do the card trick on my sky+hd box thanks.

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea where I can get a FTV card so I can do the card trick on my sky+hd box thanks.

I hear this guy is very reliable :D and has both Blue and White cards.

ellieh1 wrote: »

I sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

i'm having a problem which i think is caused by the card trick but i'm not sure and would welcome any advice. i followed the instructions before christmas using an old blue uk card which gave me all the channels that i loaded in other channels including utv anglia west. i switched between channels a few times with no problems but suddenly i was getting a message of no satellite signal being received on most of the channels including the irish ones. i checked my signal strength while trying to get rte 1 and one of the signal indicators was showing blank. i then switched to sky news and i was immediately able to watch this with full signal strength but once i went back to a few of the other channels my signal was again gone. i left it on standby for a few days over christmas and it eventually recovered.
    i tried the card trick again last night and had the same problem. as a matter of interest,utv was watchable but the irish channels as well as sky1 etc were still giving the same problem.
    any help would be appreciated.
    thanks.

• Advertisement

i'm having a problem which i think is caused by the card trick but i'm not sure and would welcome any advice. i followed the instructions before christmas using an old blue uk card which gave me all the channels that i loaded in other channels including utv anglia west. i switched between channels a few times with no problems but suddenly i was getting a message of no satellite signal being received on most of the channels including the irish ones. i checked my signal strength while trying to get rte 1 and one of the signal indicators was showing blank. i then switched to sky news and i was immediately able to watch this with full signal strength but once i went back to a few of the other channels my signal was again gone. i left it on standby for a few days over christmas and it eventually recovered.
    i tried the card trick again last night and had the same problem. as a matter of interest,utv was watchable but the irish channels as well as sky1 etc were still giving the same problem.
    thanks.
    Your satellite dish probably needs adjusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

thanks.

Just checked and the channels you mentioned that had gone are horizontally polarised, while the ones that stayed are vertically polarised. That might suggest that the lnb is faulty. Check to see what channels you have and what's missing. If all the missing ones are horizontally polarised then a new lnb might sort out the problem.

The timing of the card trick might be entirely coincidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

thanks folks. i'll try it again in a couple of days when i'm not recording anything important and see what happens. i'll get onto sky to sort out the lnb if it persists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

This trick also works on the new basic Sky HD boxes (the ones without the hard-drive).

ShaneOC wrote: »
    This trick also works on the new basic Sky HD boxes (the ones without the hard-drive).

That is interesting, wouldn't have expected that, thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
Advertisement