Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭florryfox

I just repeated the card trick on my box a few minutes ago just to be sure it would work again after power failure or update etc.

It worked fine. I use an old blue west midlands card.
    I hope your friend gets it working on his, i would be lost without it.
    Thanks again for highlighting it, long may it last.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

if i cancel sky, what channels will i get on free to air, and or, can i buy a once off card to see some of the channels i like, also will my record function still work in the box if i do cancel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

goat2 wrote: »
    if i cancel sky, what channels will i get on free to air, and or, can i buy a once off card to see some of the channels i like, also will my record function still work in the box if i do cancel

to find out ,remove the card and reboot the box . (without the card)

no recording without a sub..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Found a blue card(Irish) and tried it with a HD box which had been sitting unused.

Still stuck on Irish EPG but the recording function works and the FTA recordings which were still on the box could be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

zerks wrote: »
    Found a blue card(Irish) and tried it with a HD box which had been sitting unused.

Still stuck on Irish EPG but the recording function works and the FTA recordings which were still on the box could be played.
    Have you a Sky sub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Sounds like one of the 'mythical' recording Blue cards, say no more, don't want this thread locked too :rolleyes:

muffler wrote: »
    Have you a Sky sub?
    I have a Sky sub.But used it on an old box that was plugged out & sitting on a shelf.

Replaced my HD box recently and was using the old one for FTA but the crippled EPG became a pain in the hole and I reverted to using a standard box again.
    Had a blue card lying around so as an experiment this morning I hooked back up the HD box,stuck in the blue card and viola,I could record on the box.The EPG is still crippled though,so can only record the likes of BBC,Sky News etc.

I had old episodes of Top Gear from BBC still on the box from before and I could play them back also but the encrypted stuff is blocked.

I wonder if this will work on a standard Sky+ box?? I'll try it on the parents one during the week and see,or if anyone else has got it to work let me know.

I wonder if this will work on a standard Sky+ box?? I'll try it on the parents one during the week and see,or if anyone else has got it to work let me know.

Yes, it will, like I said it's one of the mythical Blue recording cards, yours is an Irish one so is quite limited to what channels it'll work on, pity all the C4 variants on an Irish sub are encrypted.

gtg60 wrote: »
    Yes, it will, like I said it's one of the mythical Blue recording cards, yours is an Irish one so is quite limited to what channels it'll work on, pity all the C4 variants on an Irish sub are encrypted.

But on a standard (white) Sky+ box,Channel 4,E4,5 etc are unencrypted.If I get it to work on one I'll post the result here.

But on a standard (white) Sky+ box,Channel 4,E4,5 etc are unencrypted.If I get it to work on one I'll post the result here.

No, not when you put in an Irish sub card (old or current) it'll load up the Irish EPG i.e. the (encrypted) ones and they won't record, a UK card like that loads the unencrypted versions and you're laughing!

• Advertisement

No, not when you put in an Irish sub card (old or current) it'll load up the Irish EPG i.e. the (encrypted) ones and they won't record, a UK card like that loads the unencrypted versions and you're laughing!

Doh,in my excitement I forgot that:o

Doh,in my excitement I forgot that:o

If it's any consolation you can do the Card Trick on a HD box with it and add a few channels, can't remember what works but I think it's the ITV's and maybe Channel 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aerialplug

Sweet! Thanky'all - brand new Sky box installed last week in Cork. Used my old Sky subs card (now an FTV card) on my Sky branded SkyHD box (I assume it's an Amstrad if unbranded on the back).

To get it to work I did have to leave out one step from the one outlined by the OP (following that to the letter, it doesn't work) but I now have all the desirable channels (ITV Wales region where the Sky UK card was registered).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

What step did you leave out? Followed to the letter it does work. I'm working using a borrowed blue card with the yellow house, actually I discovered this trick before the op but didn't want to put it on a public forum(cute hoorism and all that). How do I know what region the card is from? I find if you put the channels you want into other channels that's the channels you get on the epg. Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm not entirely convinced it has anything to do with the card region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jca wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm not entirely convinced it has anything to do with the card region.
    It works with whatever region your card is for.

I have a Granada region card and used it in a mates box and he got Granada on 103 the same as what I have. However a few days later he got his hands on a UTV card and did the trick himself and now has UTV on 103.

If you put ITV 1 London into the other channels and then redo the trick with the Granada/UTV card what appears on 103? The reason I ask is because with no ITV 1 stored in other channels I always get ITV 1 London on 103. That would imply that its a London region card but by that logic I shouldn't be able to get Channel 5 (encryption issues etc.). When I used 10.964 H 22.0 5/6 to tune Channel 5 into other channels, tick all that appear do the card trick I have Channel 5 on the epg.

jca wrote: »
    If you put ITV 1 London into the other channels and then redo the trick with the Granada/UTV card what appears on 103? The reason I ask is because with no ITV 1 stored in other channels I always get ITV 1 London on 103. That would imply that its a London region card but by that logic I shouldn't be able to get Channel 5 (encryption issues etc.). When I used 10.964 H 22.0 5/6 to tune Channel 5 into other channels, tick all that appear do the card trick I have Channel 5 on the epg.

That's simply not true, first off NO channel 5 is encrypted and as muffler said the channels that are brought into the Irish EPG are directly related to the region of the card, I have sold a few of cards for this purpose and always have to supply different tuning instructions with each different region of card to ensure people get all possible channels onto the Irish EPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Happy days, been reading this thread for while & did the trick tonight! My old man had a sky Granada card sitting at home....

All ITV channels including HD channel installed along with all Channel 5 channels....hopefully some luck comes our way soon & we can get channel 4 HD through this way :D

Unlikely that Sky will ever let us tune in DVB-S2 channels but we always wait in hope :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

That's simply not true, first off NO channel 5 is encrypted and as muffler said the channels that are brought into the Irish EPG are directly related to the region of the card, I have sold a few of cards for this purpose and always have to supply different tuning instructions with each different region of card to ensure people get all possible channels onto the Irish EPG.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I have a West Midlands card for this "trick" and have BBC1 West Midlands at 101, ITV1 Central West at 103 etc, but I've only just noticed ( after months ! ) that the "trick" has also put BBC1 London on 973 and ITV1 London on 974 ( I think they are the numbers anyway ). I do have them stored in my other channels also, but would the card "trick" import them anyway, if they were'nt stored in other channels ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

If they weren't stored in other channels they would not be imported onto the EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Woodie40

I have a Tyne Tees Card and using the card trick used to have ITV1+1 but it no longer is on the EPG. there are seven ITV1+1 saved in the other channels, which one should I have or has Tyne Tees no longer have ITV1+1?

I see no reason why that would happen, plug out the box and then only use the Blue card, can you find ITV 1 +1 now?

I see no reason why that would happen, plug out the box and then only use the Blue card, can you find ITV 1 +1 now?

I figured it out, have not watched ITV1 in a while, when I tried to watch ITV1TTS which is the card I got from you there was no information on the epg, so I searched on line tuned in IYV1 TyneTees and ITV1+1 Tyne Tees into the other channels, it worked, so I no longer have ITV1TTS on the EPG it now comes up as ITV1 Tyne Tees. Don't know why this happened ?

I think there are at least 2 Tyne Tees regions, the TTS is Tyne Tees South. Anyway glad it's all sorted now.

I think there are at least 2 Tyne Tees regions, the TTS is Tyne Tees South. Anyway glad it's all sorted now.
    Yes you are correct TTS & TTN. This comes up just as Tyne Tees, must have been some change made in the TT region. Do you know if UTV will have a HD & +1 in the near future?

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Yes you are correct TTS & TTN. This comes up just as Tyne Tees, must have been some change made in the TT region. Do you know if UTV will have a HD & +1 in the near future?

Read that this will happen in the very near future, I think there's a thread on this forum about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Excuse my ignorance but will a cancelled card (ROI) work fine for this trick or do I need a specific type of card?

TheDriver wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but will a cancelled card (ROI) work fine for this trick or do I need a specific type of card?

You need a UK card and a (non Thomson) Sky HD box, I have some available here if you want: http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/blue-sky-card-for-adding-channel-5-etc-to-hd-box/971554

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

Morning all.

So as to not have to read through 42 pages, can someone summarise what can be gotten using the card trick at this stage, what with the BBC HD's are now available as a default anyway?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alfreg

All the ITV's and their +1s, the Channel 5 channels and their +1s also BBC news 24.

Thanks Alfreg.

Pardon my ignorance, but will these channels bump other channels out of the way? In the opening post, it mentions channel 5 and 3e both being on 105. Does that mean that there's literally 2 channel 105's, or it's one or the other?

Edit: Reading the first page I see that there is 2 of each channel number, so question answered!

ITV HD
    All the Channel 5's (at least 6 of them)
    All the ITV's and their +1's
    You can put a different region of BBC1 and 2 into your EPG too
    There's also a few extra channels like CITV, BBC Parliament and More4+1

I'd say in total you get 20 extra channels on your EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

And don't forget as of this morning we get C4 HD

11.127 V 22 5/6

maximus02 wrote: »
    And don't forget as of this morning we get C4 HD

11.127 V 22 5/6

Is this confirmed??

• Advertisement

Yep. Have it on epg.

Yes, its coming in loud and clear ))

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Is this confirmed??

Ya I have it working loud and clear channel 140 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Is this confirmed??
    Yes i just did a scan on my Sky HD box and Channel 4 HD coming in loud and clear. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

So all we need is a UK FTV card?

Where does one pick one up? (pardon my ignorance :o)

• Advertisement

Mr Moon wrote: »
    So all we need is a UK FTV card?

Where does one pick one up? (pardon my ignorance :o)

http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/blue-sky-card-for-adding-channel-5-etc-to-hd-box/971554

Here's one for ye.

If/When the card trick is done, is it possible to use the remote record feature on your phone to record ITVHD say?

Soarer wrote: »
    Here's one for ye.

If/When the card trick is done, is it possible to use the remote record feature on your phone to record ITVHD say?

No, I tried it ! You must change the region in Sky+ app on your phone, to a UK region to get ITV on the phones epg and then when you select record, it tells you that your Sky ID is registered in Rep of Ireland.

On a side issue, I wonder is there anything that can be done, to stop the "card trick" being undone and the epg reverting to ROI epg only, every time there is a power cut, or you have to unplug the box for some reason ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Here's one for ye.

I've set up recordings from ITV, C5, etc., through 'My Sky' from my computer in the office and it works perfectly. When you go on to My Sky, select the region that is the same as the FreeToAir card you've used, ie: in my case London HD. Not sure about via phone.

I've set up recordings from ITV, C5, etc., through 'My Sky' from my computer in the office and it works perfectly. When you go on to My Sky, select the region that is the same as the FreeToAir card you've used, ie: in my case London HD. Not sure about via phone.

I've just tried it on my phone, West Midlands card in my case and a message pops up saying " You have selected an incorrect region for your Sky ID, please contact Sky etc ", so it looks like it will work via a PC or laptop, but not via phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Thanks Alfreg.

Pardon my ignorance, but will these channels bump other channels out of the way? In the opening post, it mentions channel 5 and 3e both being on 105. Does that mean that there's literally 2 channel 105's, or it's one or the other?

Edit: Reading the first page I see that there is 2 of each channel number, so question answered!

Yes ITV, CH4 CH5 etc seem to take precedence so if you press 103 with your remote you'll get ITV and not TV3. Just hit the up button to get to the Irish, displaced channel.

greendom wrote: »
    Yes ITV, CH4 CH5 etc seem to take precedence so if you press 103 with your remote you'll get ITV and not TV3. Just hit the up button to get to the Irish, displaced channel.

This is just because B comes before R (BBC/RTE)
    I comes before T etc etc in the alphabet.

Its coincidence that its the same for all of the first five channels on the EPG, the English ones come first in the alphabet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

DigiDec wrote: »

Its coincidence that its the same for all of the first five channels on the EPG, the English ones come first in the alphabet.

I'm not sure that your reasoning carries. On 135 Ch 4 is superceded by CH4 +1, I'll look into it a bit more...

DigiDec wrote: »

Is it a coincidence thoguh, or is it the famine all over again?! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys if I purchase the blue card to put the other channels into the main line up so I can record them where does it push the Irish channels, like what numbers do they go to at present RTE 1 is 101.

• Advertisement
Advertisement