Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kay88

I moved from the UK to Ireland and wanted to keep watching ITV and 5.

When I use the card that I had in the UK I can view the channels and select reminders, but when I try to set recording I get a message saying Sky+HD playback and recording are unavailable.

Is there any way around this problem?

I can't see any manufacturer name on the box,but it has a 'manufactured by Sky sticker' and the code RX890R-L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

boardzz wrote: »
    Hey where do I get a NI FTV card?

Cant talk about that anymore on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭boardzz

Cant talk about that anymore on here.

The Nazi's on this website are really getting out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

boardzz wrote: »
    The Nazi's on this website are really getting out of hand.
    That's a bit uncalled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Kay88 wrote: »
    I moved from the UK to Ireland and wanted to keep watching ITV and 5.

When I use the card that I had in the UK I can view the channels and select reminders, but when I try to set recording I get a message saying Sky+HD playback and recording are unavailable.

Is there any way around this problem?

I can't see any manufacturer name on the box,but it has a 'manufactured by Sky sticker' and the code RX890R-L.

Do you have an Irish subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kay88

jca wrote: »
    Do you have an Irish subscription?

Yes I have an Irish Subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Brian P

I received the new EPG last night on my Samsung box (unfortunately). I've tried the blue button trick and I've no problem getting Ch4HD but ITV1 Hd only stays on the screen for a few seconds and immediately reverts to the Sky998 channel. What am I doing wrong? It's ticked in other channels and favourites.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Brian P wrote: »
    I received the new EPG last night on my Samsung box (unfortunately). I've tried the blue button trick and I've no problem getting Ch4HD but ITV1 Hd only stays on the screen for a few seconds and immediately reverts to the Sky998 channel. What am I doing wrong? It's ticked in other channels and favourites.:confused:
    Same here,Samsung box updated last night. I've been trying to watch the England game on ITV1 & it keeps switching to the Sky Intro channel.Very annoying.

I have the same box and same problem as the last 2 posters. Just tested it there now and ITV HD is going back to the intro channel after about 20 odd seconds. I tried it then with Granada and no problems there.

• Advertisement

Oddly enough in the brief few seconds that ITV HD appears if I press "record", it accepts it and I can then watch the recording immediately in planner.:confused:

I've been watching BBC1 W Mids for the last half an hour & no issues with the channel. So far it has happened on ITV1 Central W & ITV1HD.Strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

My two boxes updated last night, one a Samsung the other a Pace, will a NI card still do the card trick?

200motels wrote: »
    My two boxes updated last night, one a Samsung the other a Pace, will a NI card still do the card trick?
    Not sure about the type/make of box that others had but from going on previous posts here then the NI card should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Box updated the night before last, its a SAMSUNG. Will a NI card allow me to have and record Channel 5 and 5*?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I posted earlier in this thread that mine does it on BBC News since I got the new EPG on a Amstrad DXR780. Did it also on ITV 1 HD London and ITV London last night.... In the end I had to use the FTA box.

• Advertisement

What is the blue button trick out of interest, by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Got an update last night as box was on channel 998,my 'other channels' were still on the EPG though.

I have to use the blue button to 'see' them but I'm used to that now.

What is the blue button trick out of interest, by the way?
    Have a look at post 820.:)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056353483&page=55

Thanks,

But when I go into my Favourites only the Irish channels appear there, despite favouriting the UK channels previously.

Is there any way around this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Thanks,

But when I go into my Favourites only the Irish channels appear there, despite favouriting the UK channels previously.

Is there any way around this?

Re-boot the box with UK card. Set favourite channels - matching those in 'other channels'. Switch to Irish card and the UK channels that you have set as favourites can be watched (& recorded) via the Blue button.

• Advertisement

Re-boot the box with UK card. Set favourite channels - matching those in 'other channels'. Switch to Irish card and the UK channels that you have set as favourites can be watched (& recorded) via the Blue button.

Cheers, will try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Pace box updated overnight :(

jgbyr wrote: »
    Same here,Samsung box updated last night. I've been trying to watch the England game on ITV1 & it keeps switching to the Sky Intro channel.Very annoying.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening. Thanks

muffler wrote: »
    I have the same box and same problem as the last 2 posters. Just tested it there now and ITV HD is going back to the intro channel after about 20 odd seconds. I tried it then with Granada and no problems there.
    I spoke too soon. Granada is now reverting back to the intro channel :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Box updated the night before last, its a SAMSUNG. Will a NI card allow me to have and record Channel 5 and 5*?

Yes it will still work with a Ni card as one of the lads in work has a Samsung and it has the updated EPG and I lent him my Ni card and it sorted it for him:)

jgbyr wrote: »
    Is there any way to prevent this from happening. Thanks
    In the brief few seconds before the favourite channel reverts to Sky 998,press record and then go into planner and you can immediately view the programme as it records. This works for me with ITV1 HD and I can also set future programmes for later recording.

In the brief few seconds before the favourite channel reverts to Sky 998,press record and then go into planner and you can immediately view the programme as it records. This works for me with ITV1 HD and I can also set future programmes for later recording.

Thanks Brian for that. Its not ideal but if its the only way ...
    Its funny that BBC1 West is ok for me but the ITV's revert to the sky info channel.

I've found that by pressing rewind the second you turn on a channel (it only goes back a fraction) prevents the jump to 998.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

I've found that by pressing rewind the second you turn on a channel (it only goes back a fraction) prevents the jump to 998.

Doesn't work for me:(

Edit: Just realized my "Other Channels" list has been emptied with the update. Will see if it reverts to 998 when I have repopulated the list with the channels I get with the blue button trick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Was there a general update? Still have ITV on blue...

• Advertisement

I've tried it repeatedly but it just won't work for me.:(

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Yes it still works 100% with Ni card.

OK, managed to get most of the channels back on my Samsung box with a newly acquired expired ni sub card but am missing itv1hd. I'm guessing it isn't available for ni? If so, what are the transponder tuning details? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

OK, managed to get most of the channels back on my Samsung box with a newly acquired expired ni sub card but am missing itv1hd. I'm guessing it isn't available for ni? If so, what are the transponder tuning details? Cheers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

I got the new EPG on my Samsung box last Monday but on Friday it reverted to old EPG now I can't get new EPG back.

200motels wrote: »
    I got the new EPG on my Samsung box last Monday but on Friday it reverted to old EPG now I can't get new EPG back.

Wish that happened me:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Maybe somebody can explain what's happening here. My amstrad box was updated to the new epg about 3 months ago. Before that I had utv channel 5 etc on the epg then after the update no matter what I did I couldn't get the uk channels back on to the epg but I did manage to access them via the blue button which not as good as the old way was still better than nothing.
    Three weeks ago we had a power cut which reset the box. I was away from home untill this weekend so I decided to redo the card trick again as there was one or two programmes set to record on utv and they wouldn't record till I did the card trick.
    I couldn't believe it when I saw all the trick channels back on the epg same as before.
    I'm wondering was there another update that's causing the card trick to work like it did before and I don't want to reboot the box again in case it doesn't work the next time. Has this happened anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭manutd83

pbarr wrote: »
    Maybe somebody can explain what's happening here. My amstrad box was updated to the new epg about 3 months ago. Before that I had utv channel 5 etc on the epg then after the update no matter what I did I couldn't get the uk channels back on to the epg but I did manage to access them via the blue button which not as good as the old way was still better than nothing.
    Three weeks ago we had a power cut which reset the box. I was away from home untill this weekend so I decided to redo the card trick again as there was one or two programmes set to record on utv and they wouldn't record till I did the card trick.
    I couldn't believe it when I saw all the trick channels back on the epg same as before.
    I'm wondering was there another update that's causing the card trick to work like it did before and I don't want to reboot the box again in case it doesn't work the next time. Has this happened anybody else.
    I just redone the card trick to see if this worked for me,it didnt,im still using the blue button,what version is your box on,iv an amstrad box aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

manutd83 wrote: »
    I just redone the card trick to see if this worked for me,it didnt,im still using the blue button,what version is your box on,iv an amstrad box aswell

My system details are in the attached photo. That's actually a photo that was taken a few months ago after I got the new epg. I'm away from home till Friday so I can't post what version but I will when I get home. I have no idea why it suddenly decided to work because when the new epg came I tried everything and anything to get it to work but gave up in the end.

eddiem10 wrote: »

I'm well aware of the sticky, but thats just the generic ones. There are often others based on the regional variations with different transponder details. For example, there are multiple channel 5 options and not all come up under the same transponder, you need to search more than 1 frequency to get it.

• Advertisement

manutd83 wrote: »

Do your ITV stations revert to channel 998 after 10 or so minutes?
    Would love to get a work-around as I can't get the quick-rewind to work:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭manutd83

Plascebo wrote: »
    Do your ITV stations revert to channel 998 after 10 or so minutes?
    Would love to get a work-around as I can't get the quick-rewind to work:mad:
    No my blue button channels are working fine atm,hopefully it stays that way

Since the update last week anything I have in the favourites (blue button) reverts to the intro channel after about 20 seconds or less. I was watching BBC2 Wales the other night and off it went too.

No problem with recordings, just the viewing.

muffler wrote: »
    Since the update last week anything I have in the favourites (blue button) reverts to the intro channel after about 20 seconds or less. I was watching BBC2 Wales the other night and off it went too.

No problem with recordings, just the viewing.

Yeah seems to affect some more than others. I've watched some stuff for a while on the Favs without it reverting back. Other times it kept doing it. I wonder if a signal has been sent to make the box 'check' the inserted card's entitlements more often and if the channel viewed is not normally on the EPG, revert back to Ch998 (just like when you swap the card).

Plascebo wrote: »
    Wish that happened me:(
    I still have the channels on my EPG but I lost ITV HD with the upgrade and I can't tune it back in again, the old EPG is much better than the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Box got another update again last night an Amstrad DRX890 to R005.053.70.12P and the card trick is still working fully using a NI card.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 honeyphoebe

Ok so I have just got my setanta card, thanks for the info about this. I have unplugged box put in ftv card restarted then swapped cards back but my stations always go back to irish epg after a few mins. If i leave in ftv card i get english epg. What am I doing wrong? Also what is blue button trick? Please and thanks

Ok so I have just got my setanta card, thanks for the info about this. I have unplugged box put in ftv card restarted then swapped cards back but my stations always go back to irish epg after a few mins. If i leave in ftv card i get english epg. What am I doing wrong? Also what is blue button trick? Please and thanks

Chances are that you have the new epg now so the channels will not stay. What you need to do is unplug your box, put the setanta card in and start it up. When you have it started, add all of the channels that you are interested in to your "other channels" menu via "add channels". You can get to this easily by pressing the "services button". The tuning details are in the sticky at the top of the forum. Once you have that done, you need to add the channels you want to the favourites menu. I think this is via the "services" button also if memory serves me correctly. Just follow the instructions and select the ones you want (ITV 1-4, Channel 5,5usa, 5*, four 7 etc) (with the yellow or green button, cant remember which) and save them before you leave. Now, go to channel 103. It should be ITV. Press the off button on your sky remote. Swap the cards back and turn it back on. After a few minutes the Irish EPG should load but if you press the blue button a few times it should scroll through the favourites you've just added.

pbarr wrote: »
    My system details arre in the attached photo.
    They are a bit different from the photo I took earlier in the year for some reason and that could be why the card trick has started working.

You shouldn't post your viewing card and receiver ID numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 honeyphoebe

Thanks so much for such a detailed answer. I'll try that later

Chances are that you have the new epg now so the channels will not stay. What you need to do is unplug your box, put the setanta card in and start it up. When you have it started, add all of the channels that you are interested in to your "other channels" menu via "add channels". You can get to this easily by pressing the "services button". The tuning details are in the sticky at the top of the forum. Once you have that done, you need to add the channels you want to the favourites menu. I think this is via the "services" button also if memory serves me correctly. Just follow the instructions and select the ones you want (ITV 1-4, Channel 5,5usa, 5*, four 7 etc) (with the yellow or green button, cant remember which) and save them before you leave. Now, go to channel 103. It should be ITV. Press the off button on your sky remote. Swap the cards back and turn it back on. After a few minutes the Irish EPG should load but if you press the blue button a few times it should scroll through the favourites you've just added.[/Quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

got a new sky box installed , now cant get the trick to work , when i unplug , insert uk card power on , still shows rte 1etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement