Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Comments

gtg60 wrote: »
    Channel 5HD is a UK only HD subscription channel so you wouldn't have been able to watch it anyway.

Similar to ITV Encore,if you have a HD sub you should be able to view it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Who are you ordering it from?

From Satworld, Bluebell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

energy1942 wrote: »
    In order to end the constant worry over if & when the card trick will end, I am going to buy the Manhattan HDR-S Freesat+ Recorder Box 320gb.

I am getting it next Friday, But I would like to know if I can change the postcode manually, so as to be able to record regional variations.

Yes you can manually put in any postcode you like and get any UK region you want. Brilliant for getting away from NI political programmes, having Final Score interrupted by NI scores etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

In order to end the constant worry over if & when the card trick will end, I am going to buy the Manhattan HDR-S Freesat+ Recorder Box 320gb.

I am getting it next Friday, But I would like to know if I can change the postcode manually, so as to be able to record regional variations.

How much does it cost and what's the EPG like ?

greendom wrote: »
    How much does it cost and what's the EPG like ?
    Just got it Cost €239

Absolutely brilliant, I have it set for UTV, but could change to any postcode, only would be necessary for ITV channels as all BBC regions are provided on the EPG,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Just got it Cost €239

Absolutely brilliant, I have it set for UTV, but could change to any postcode, only would be necessary for ITV channels as all BBC regions are provided on the EPG,

Thanks for that. How does it compare to the sky epg for ease of use, retrieving stored progs, search facility etc etc?

greendom wrote: »
    Thanks for that. How does it compare to the sky epg for ease of use, retrieving stored progs, search facility etc etc?

Very simple,
    Though having just got it I am still learning what it can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

energy1942 wrote:
    Just got it Cost €239

You got fleeced man! Way cheaper on Amazon!

hallo dare wrote: »
    You got fleeced man! Way cheaper on Amazon!

Yes you are quite right I had already seen that, I could have saved €30, but I wanted it yesterday and I prefer to buy Electronic Goods locally, in case anything should go wrong, also I have bought goods from Satworld before & I have been happy with them.

energy1942 wrote:
    Yes you are quite right I had already seen that, I could have saved €30, but I wanted it yesterday and I prefer to buy Electronic Goods locally, in case anything should go wrong, also I have bought goods from Satworld before & I have been happy with them.

I bought from that crowd before and never again. Brutal customer service. But maybe I just got the wrong guy that day

• Advertisement

I have just received the new update on my one of my boxes, Blue button trick gone, but I now can tune HD channels including ITV 2,3, & 4.

Oh crap,won't be able to record any more on a Sky box from those missing UK channels! Is there anyway to avoid an update?
    Blue button and EPG trick both gone? Maybe someone will discover a new 'trick'.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

I have just received the new update on my one of my boxes, Blue button trick gone, but I now can tune HD channels including ITV 2,3, & 4.

Would prefer the ability to record the "other" channels via card trick than extra HD channels that I can't record, limited EPG information and can only accessed via "other channels" on the menu!

200motels wrote: »
    I tryed this with an old blue free to air card and it worked. Superb find and let's hope Sky doesn't stop it some way.

Oh well, it worked for 3 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Do we have a vote from the UTV jury yet? Anyone with a UTV card updated? No sign of it on either of my boxes so far.

Just something for you to consider lads. Have a look over on the Amiko Alien 2 thread. Alot of us there are using that box and if you are any way handy at setting up this kind of a Linux box it would really suit alot of your needs for having all your "other" channels,recording them, full epg, etc.

Just something to consider.

Just something for you to consider lads. Have a look over on the Amiko Alien 2 thread. Alot of us there are using that box and if you are any way handy at setting up this kind of a Linux box it would really suit alot of your needs for having all your "other" channels,recording them, full epg, etc.

Just something to consider.

Problem is, unless you have a computer science degree or are pretty good at computers, the Linux system is beyond a lot of people. Is there any place or anyone that sells one of these boxes in a plug and play package, ie loaded with correct software, epg, Irish and UK channels and their respective HD variants etc, listed on one epg, series link, recordable etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭anonanymore

Just been updated and lost the blue button trick.
    What's a good FTA box that has HD, recording and a decent epg.
    Have a quad LNB, so can use SKY and FTA boxes.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Problem is, unless you have a computer science degree or are pretty good at computers, the Linux system is beyond a lot of people. Is there any place or anyone that sells one of these boxes in a plug and play package, ie loaded with correct software, epg, Irish and UK channels and their respective HD variants etc, listed on one epg, series link, recordable etc ?

All images that come for these boxes are already written, you don't need to write any code. My brother in law after seeing my setup got his from tvtrade i think. It came with an open pli image but he wanted the image i was using as it most resembles sly.

• Advertisement

Oh crap,won't be able to record any more on a Sky box from those missing UK channels! Is there anyway to avoid an update?
    Blue button and EPG trick both gone? Maybe someone will discover a new 'trick'.

Maybe if you disable your Broadband connection overnight, it may not update,

I Bought a Freesat recorder box last Friday & I think that was the best option I could take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

What software version no. Is the new update ?

What software version no. Is the new update ?

Version Number 4f3101
    Model Number R010.070.58.06P

All images that come for these boxes are already written, you don't need to write any code. My brother in law after seeing my setup got his from tvtrade i think. It came with an open pli image but he wanted the image i was using as it most resembles sly.

Lost already !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Maybe if you disable your Broadband connection overnight, it may not update,

I Bought a Freesat recorder box last Friday & I think that was the best option I could take.

Disabling the broadband won't stop the update as it is sent over the air, so there is no way to avoid it when it arrives.When you do get it you can roll it back to the old epg but only temporarily.

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Disabling the broadband won't stop the update as it is sent over the air, so there is no way to avoid it when it arrives.When you do get it you can roll it back to the old epg but only temporarily.

How do you do that?

• Advertisement

How do you do that?

When you do get the new update just do a forced update and it will revert back to the old version.

How do you do that?

Unplug the box. While holding down the backup button on the box, plug the box back in.

jca wrote: »
    Unplug the box. While holding down the backup button on the box, plug the box back in.

How long is it likely to last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

It's about 10 minutes

Sorry I don't understand your question. Do you mean how long is the old version on the dl stream? Usually about a month in case any bugs need to be ironed out in the new epg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Anyone been updated who had a NI card yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Anyone been updated who had a NI card yet?

Yes and news isn't good. Box just reboots when card is swapped. Tried a few times now without any luck.

dermiestv wrote: »
    Yes and news isn't good. Box just reboots when card is swapped. Tried a few times now without any luck.

That's bad news indeed. Are BBC 3 and 4 in HD on the new epg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

That's bad news indeed. Are BBC 3 and 4 in HD on the new epg?

No

DigiDec wrote: »
    No

Sky are miserable gits to the Irish customers BBC 3&4 are in HD on my ni card. I wonder will they carry utv Ireland when it launches?

Which card are you using a blue one or a white one? Although it probably won't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Does UTVHD remain at 103?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Plascebo wrote: »
    Does UTVHD remain at 103?

I'd imagine that given the news isn't good ...no. ...

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Which card are you using a blue one or a white one? Although it probably won't make any difference.

White.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

White.
    Is it a UTV region card?

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Is it a UTV region card?

Yes.

Only channel I miss is ITV4 for Bundesliga Highlights. Maybe the Sports Gods at RTE will pick it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Box updated last night, card trick with 'channel islands' card no longer working !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ah ... I don't want to go and check the box any morning - this will be a pure balls :(

I wonder did Sky know about this 'trick' and acted on it! Maybe some brainiac will come up with a way around it. I am going to miss recording the dramas from ITV Encore and ITV1! :(

bodonnell wrote: »
    Box updated last night, card trick with 'channel islands' card no longer working !

What happens? Does the uk epg load from the CI card and it just reverts to the Irish epg? Did you try the blue button favourites trick?

I wonder if any particular region card will still work,I have an ITV Central and an STV card.Will have to try both when the update arrives or just roll back the software by the forced update method to the previous software.

The missus informed me that utv is gone from the epg. I'll try it with both my itv London and my UTV cards. Not looking good unfortunately. I wonder will we get a reprieve when utv Ireland launches in the new year. Tbh it won't bother me in the least most of the stuff on itv is rubbish. Any of the decent dramas can be downloaded copied to a flash drive and watched on the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

@ jca uk channels load with the ci card but when you swap irish card epg rests itself. Bummer

No, have not tried blue button trick

bodonnell wrote: »
    @ jca uk channels load with the ci card but when you swap irish card epg rests itself. Bummer

No, have not tried blue button trick

I think someone said earlier that the blue button trick is gone too! :(

• Advertisement

The missus informed me that utv is gone from the epg. I'll try it with both my itv London and my UTV cards. Not looking good unfortunately. I wonder will we get a reprieve when utv Ireland launches in the new year. Tbh it won't bother me in the least most of the stuff on itv is rubbish. Any of the decent dramas can be downloaded copied to a flash drive and watched on the TV.

I suppose that can be done but I would rather record like any other channel,from the epg.Hopefully UTVI will also bring the other ITV channels onto the Irish epg,I really love ITV Encore!

Advertisement