Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I suppose that can be done but I would rather record like any other channel,from the epg.Hopefully UTVI will also bring the other ITV channels onto the Irish epg,I really love ITV Encore!

ITV Encore never worked for me, even in other channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

bodonnell wrote: »
    Box updated last night, card trick with 'channel islands' card no longer working !
    Card trick gone = Sky gone.... Freesat/Saorview here I come!

Just to clarify, with the new software, the trick will not work on a box with a NI card and WITHOUT the HD package. Have I that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Kalyke wrote: »

Can't understand why all of ye using this card trick, haven't got a Freesat Box long before now. Pick any region you want, record any channel you want, all channels on EPG, no monthly fee after box paid for, no brainier surely ?

galtee boy wrote: »

Can't understand why all of ye using this card trick, haven't got a Freesat Box long before now. Pick any region you want, record any channel you want, all channels on EPG, no monthly fee after box paid for, no brainier surely ?
    For me it always has been the 1 stop shop feature of the Sky box. I have the cheapest package possible, but without the card trick, even this is too expensive!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

For me it always has been the 1 stop shop feature of the Sky box. I have the cheapest package possible, but without the card trick, even this is too expensive!!

You won't look back if you get Freesat PVR box, only problem then is recording the Irish channels if you dump Sky and unfortunately, the only Saorview PVR seems to be a load of sh**e.

• Advertisement

You won't look back if you get Freesat PVR box, only problem then is recording the Irish channels if you dump Sky and unfortunately, the only Saorview PVR seems to be a load of sh**e.
    Agreed, hence the reluctance to get rid of Sky. The "card trick" for me is the tipping point.

jca wrote: »
    ITV Encore never worked for me, even in other channels.

You need to have a HD subscription.

Even if you have a HD sub, will the card trick/blue button still not work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Same as everyone else here .. Both full trick and blue button seem to be gone... Skips back to sky intro :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Blue button gone too? Ah bollocks. No more recording "other channels" :(

• Advertisement

For those of us not using the blue button trick ... Just making sure I'm doing it properly .. What's the process again?

Those of you who lost the 'trick',do any of you have a HD sub?

With usual sky card in, add ITV, Channel 5, +1's etc to your "other channels".

Take out legit sky card.

Plug out box from mains.

Put FTA card into box. Turn box on. Wait for it to load.

Go to favourites setup on the box. Add ITV, Channel 5, etc to your "Favourites"

Press Sky to go back to watching TV. Put the channel on Channel 5 or one of the other non-regular UK channels (I usually pick 105).

Put box in standby. Take out FTV card. Put in Legit Sky card. Press Sky button to load box up again.

When you switch on, you should be on the UK channel. Change channel to Sky News.

Press blue button to cycle through favourites. The UK channels should be there. You can record through this method by cycling through search & scan banner.

Nope with UTV card.

Plus a Northern Ireland card??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Plus a Northern Ireland card??

NI card full trick never worked with hd
    People seem to have lost encore , which means they had blue button trick , with hd sub

Well I have a HD sub and use the blue card trick so I will let you know what happens when I get the update.
    Maybe Sky want you all on a HD pack!

People seem to have lost encore , which means they had blue button trick , with hd sub

ITV Encore currently works for me with a HD sub on the blue button trick using an ITV Central card.

I know, thats the question I have been asking. Has anyone with a NI card, without the HD sub get the update?

Yes
    irishfeen posted that full trick is gone

• Advertisement

Yes
    And the trick is gone?

With usual sky card in, add ITV, Channel 5, +1's etc to your "other channels".

Take out legit sky card.

Plug out box from mains.

Put FTA card into box. Turn box on. Wait for it to load.

Go to favourites setup on the box. Add ITV, Channel 5, etc to your "Favourites"

Press Sky to go back to watching TV. Put the channel on Channel 5 or one of the other non-regular UK channels (I usually pick 105).

Put box in standby. Take out FTV card. Put in Legit Sky card. Press Sky button to load box up again.

When you switch on, you should be on the UK channel. Change channel to Sky News.

Press blue button to cycle through favourites. The UK channels should be there. You can record through this method by cycling through search & scan banner.
    Every time card switches it reverts back to 998.. Seems to be gone totally, even switching the card quickly and pressing record on say UTV doesn't save into planner ... :(

And the trick is gone?

Gone , adios , bye bye

Whatever little glitch in the EPG software has been sorted I would imagine - probably not even on purpose but with all the updates I suppose it was inevitable.

So we need to establish if HD subscribers have lost the trick/blue button with the new update! Most on here seem to be on a SD sub!

I have a HD sub with Sky and have been using the blue-button trick.

Will give it a go when I get home.

Using a Sky 2TB box. I'll do a force update as well.

Gone on me too. I tried both cards, a UTV card and an ITV London card but nothing is working, no blue button either. I'm a non HD subscriber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

My box updated last night and I use a UTV card.

I cant answer any questions about blue button etc as I got cut off yesterday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So with the update you cannot access or record other channels even through favourites ?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    So with the update you cannot access or record other channels even through favourites ?
    Not for me anyway, lost everything here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Time to buy shares in Freesat methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Can you uninstall this update and if so how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Pocaide wrote: »
    Can you uninstall this update and if so how.

Yes you can but only temporarily by doing a forced update.

WHat differences are there with the update? How will I know if Ive been updated to the new software?

WHat differences are there with the update? How will I know if Ive been updated to the new software?

The version Number is on details section on your skybox... New one begins with 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wonder did Sky know about this 'trick' and acted on it! Maybe some brainiac will come up with a way around it. I am going to miss recording the dramas from ITV Encore and ITV1! :(

I can't imagine massive threads such as this highlighting an exploit in their software is going to help anyone but Sky.

SPAWKER wrote: »
    Yes you can but only temporarily by doing a forced update.

Forced update isn't working either:(:(

With a forced update how long will that last a few hours, days or weeks.

I tried doing a forced update but no joy, it just installed the new software,fcek..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Nsewell

It's impossible to say how long your box will stay on the older version once downgraded,
    it depends on when the next switch date for your box is and ultimately when the end of the rollout is as after that the sweep up will kick in forcing boxes on older software to update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭Nsewell

I tried doing a forced update but no joy, it just installed the new software,fcek..

A successful forced update will currently downgrade your box to R009. A forced update downloads and installs the version of software currently on your boxes DR stream. Presently there is no DR stream with R010 on it, the DR streams for supported HD boxes all have R009 on them still, this is intentional to allow people to downgrade software if they experience issues.

If the forced update didn't downgrade your box then either the update process didn't kick in (did you get the "updating" message on screen?) or the update process timed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Box got the new update today and am just after doing a forced update on it which has reverted it back to the R009 software but the card trick still wont work while using a NI card just goes back to the 998 channel.
    So the card trick is well and truly dead.
    Well suppose we cant complain as we got over 3 years with it.

Nsewell wrote: »
    A successful forced update will currently downgrade your box to R009. A forced update downloads and installs the version of software currently on your boxes DR stream. Presently there is no DR stream with R010 on it, the DR streams for supported HD boxes all have R009 on them still, this is intentional to allow people to downgrade software if they experience issues.

If the forced update didn't downgrade your box then either the update process didn't kick in (did you get the "updating" message on screen?) or the update process timed out.

The forced update completed successfully, bringing my box back to version 009... but still no card trick:(:( fcek fcek and double fcek:mad::mad:

F**k

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Plascebo

lertsnim wrote: »
    I can't imagine massive threads such as this highlighting an exploit in their software is going to help anyone but Sky.

I feel the opposite. Many people, including myself, have continued to subscribe to sky due to the card trick, i.e. itv/channel 5 channels, plus subscription channels all on the epg with the ability to record. The loss of the card trick makes the free option more appealing and therefore, in my opinion, will lead to more cancellations of sky subscriptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Plascebo wrote: »
    I feel the opposite. Many people, including myself, have continued to subscribe to sky due to the card trick, i.e. itv/channel 5 channels, plus subscription channels all on the epg with the ability to record. The loss of the card trick makes the free option more appealing and therefore, in my opinion, will lead to more cancellations of sky subscriptions.

Have to concur, oh is seriously pissed about loosing trick, we'll definitely be looking at the free alternatives

Plascebo wrote: »

I agree with you too. I have multi-room atm, strongly considering ditching one of the boxes and getting a Humax. I'm too fond of Discovery to drop it completely. Can you put a paid for sky card into a Humax or any other freeview box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

I agree with you too. I have multi-room atm, strongly considering ditching one of the boxes and getting a Humax. I'm too fond of Discovery to drop it completely. Can you put a paid for sky card into a Humax or any other freeview box?
    I canceled my sub about 2 months ago and bought an old blue sky card with the recording still activated I have not missed it one bit
    I have a nowtv box so still have discovery and a few others you can find free codes easy enough on net so it's not costing me yet
    With the YouTube app on the nowtv box you can find and watch full length program's from the likes of discovery history nat geo
    Free is the way forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

dogtoffee wrote: »
    I canceled my sub about 2 months ago and bought an old blue sky card with the recording still activated I have not missed it one bit
    I have a nowtv box so still have discovery and a few others you can find free codes easy enough on net so it's not costing me yet
    With the YouTube app on the nowtv box you can find and watch full length program's from the likes of discovery history nat geo
    Free is the way forward

So can you record utv etc on any sky box with that old blue sky card?

Where did you buy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

So can you record utv etc on any sky box with that old blue sky card?

Where did you buy it?

Yes all freesat channels are recordable with that old card you can get them on adverts.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement