Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

They really are going all out to try and prevent anyone south of the border from seeing this channel aren't they. If you didn't know better, you'd think there was something worth watching on it. But of course we know there isn't. Take your channel and shove it lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

For those still finding it difficult to get hold of the correct region of card I have a few listed here:
    http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/blue-sky-card-for-adding-channel-5-etc-to-hd-box/971554

And remember one card can be shared between you and all of your friends :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

channels all gone form sky box tonight, series recorded still work - need to try the card trick again later.

channels all gone form sky box tonight, series recorded still work - need to try the card trick again later.

Did you have a power outage? My channels are still all there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Will that card work?

Yes, I'm using it at the moment on my own sky box. I have sold 3 already with no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

gtg60 wrote: »
    Did you have a power outage? My channels are still all there.

don't think so as clocks were ok - but did the card trick again and all channels back - just wish I could get those HD channels (bbc1, itv1, c4) but can't add them to the other channels at this point :(, still I can always just switch cards to get them

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

ivejust ordered a white sky card from north east england will this work? also will there be a problem with sky callbacks? mean can i record ch5 from it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

smyths wrote: »
    ivejust ordered a white sky card from north east england will this work? also will there be a problem with sky callbacks? mean can i record ch5 from it?
    I don't think you can record Ch5 from that card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

200motels wrote: »
    I don't think you can record Ch5 from that card.

When your active sub card is returned to the box channel 5 does record.

I checked mine today and it worked in the planner.

Was funny a scheduled recording on channel 5 appeared not to be recording on the planner when it was live but after the scheduled show to be recorded was over it appeared in the recordings list and it played back successfully. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

IrishHomer wrote: »

Was funny a scheduled recording on channel 5 appeared not to be recording on the planner when it was live but after the scheduled show to be recorded was over it appeared in the recordings list and it played back successfully. ;)

I think he meant that region is an encrypted C5 so no use with an Irish card.

Pete2k wrote: »
    IrishHomer wrote: »

I think he meant that region is an encrypted C5 so no use with an Irish card.

Have just wasted 40 euro so?

Can someone please pm exact card to order and where I can get one that will record ch5. Thanks :)

Have just wasted 40 euro so?

Can someone please pm exact card to order and where I can get one that will record ch5. Thanks :)

If you want both ITV1 HD & the unencrypted C5 then a Wales, West Midlands or West Country region card is the way to go.

I PMed you earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Have a NI freesat card from sky had to re boot my box today but Channel 5 is coming up as not available all other channels are ok, anyone else have any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Thats a new encryted version of Channel 5 for Northern Ireland, you will need another FTV card with unencrypted C5 on it.

I saw a post earlier in this thread about Sky changing the channel 5 frequency or scrambling it for NI since last Wednesday I think. I have a NI card and it won't put ch 5 on the epg but I also have a Midlands UK card and that one still works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Damm it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I still have Channel 5 on my Sky box...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

G-Money wrote: »
    I still have Channel 5 on my Sky box...
    Same here. I have an NI card and I have both the SD and the HD versions of Five. And 5USA and 5*.

blueser wrote: »
    Same here. I have an NI card and I have both the SD and the HD versions of Five. And 5USA and 5*.

If I leave in my NI card I will have ch 5 sd and hd and5USA and 5* but if I put back in my sub card I lose them. Is this the same with you.

DigiDec wrote: »
    Thats a new encryted version of Channel 5 for Northern Ireland, you will need another FTV card with unencrypted C5 on it.

Look at this above post, this is why the NI cards are no longer suitable for the card trick.

DigiDec wrote: »

Look at this above post, this is why the NI cards are no longer suitable for the card trick.

I got my White freesat sky card today that I ordered off eBay no ch5 what a surprise! It comes up as itv1 border dunno what region this is? Am I as well too post this back and ask for refund as I paid 35 for it? I can only get ch5 through other channels not in main epg and 5* and them are still encrypted on main epg

Those channels are only there while his White UK card is inserted, if you tune them in (well the ones you can i.e. 5* and 5USA) via 'Other Channels' they will remain on the Irish EPG but are encrypted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

pbarr wrote: »
    If I leave in my NI card I will have ch 5 sd and hd and5USA and 5* but if I put back in my sub card I lose them. Is this the same with you.
    Yes. They're only available on the EPG in the UK.

:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

New software arrived on my Amstrad DXR 890 last night ;
    Model No. R003.047.20.00p
    On Screen Version:R003.047.20.00P
    E.P.G. 45.0.41.12

Thankfully none of this change effects the FTV card trick.:D

SPAWKER wrote: »
    New software arrived on my Amstrad DXR 890 last night ;
    Model No. R003.047.20.00p
    On Screen Version:R003.047.20.00P
    E.P.G. 45.0.41.12

Thankfully none of this change effects the FTV card trick.:D

Thanks for letting us know the new software doesn't affect the trick spawker. Saw them on about it on DS for awhile but didn't want to go asking there making it more public.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Same here. My Amstrad DRX890 rebooted yesterday.

I put my Anglia West card in and all is well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Brian P

I'm very interested in getting a white card so that I can have BBC1 HD,ITVHD etc on my epg and be able to record, rewind etc. However I currently have the full Sky package with movies ,sports etc. Will I not have to remove my current card and replace it with the white card and will this not mean that I will not be able to access my sports and movies channels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Brian P wrote: »
    I'm very interested in getting a white card so that I can have BBC1 HD,ITVHD etc on my epg and be able to record, rewind etc. However I currently have the full Sky package with movies ,sports etc. Will I not have to remove my current card and replace it with the white card and will this not mean that I will not be able to access my sports and movies channels?
    Have a read through the first post again. After you have the "procedure" done you will have your normal viewing card back in the box again which will allow you to view your entire package.

Just make sure you have all the extra channels you are looking for stored in the "other channels" before proceeding.

From reading this thread you wont get ITV HD and also you will loose any new channels that appear on the EPG if you unplug the sky box.

Thanks muffler.But why will I not get ITV HD? I order for me to justify buying this white card I must be certain of getting BBCI HD and C.4HD at least .Am I certain to get these channels? Thanks again.

Thanks muffler.But why will I not get ITV HD? I order for me to justify buying this white card I must be certain of getting BBCI HD and C.4HD at least .Am I certain to get these channels? Thanks again.
    Sorry, but I'm not really into the technical stuff. I think Im right in saying that you wont get any of the HD channels you mentioned but that's just based on what I have read on this thread.

Some of the experts here will no doubt explain it to you.

You'll get ITV1 HD but not BBC1 HD and not ITV 2 3 & 4 HD only SD and you won't get Channel 4 HD. You do get BBC HD preview which is only a preview of programmes coming up on the BBC. Apart from these your list of HD channels will be the same as it was before doing the card procedure.

You'll get ITV1 HD but not BBC1 HD and not ITV 2 3 & 4 HD only SD not sure about Channel 4 HD. You do get BBC HD preview which is only a preview of programmes coming up on the BBC.
    According to this post you cant get the BBC or CH4 HD unless you already had them stored in "other channels" some time ago.

This post confirms that ITV HD is not available with this method.

Its a tad confusing to be honest.

It is confusing Muffler, maybe its to do with the different region cards that you can get I don't know. But I do have ITV1 HD on my EPG on no 178, I don't have BBC1 HD or Ch 4 HD but then I don't have them in the other channels and I don't know if they can be tuned in either.

Thanks guys. I think I'm correct in saying now that I will get BBC1 HD, and ITV1 HD as I already have them in my "other channels"
    I won't get C4 HD as I don't have it in "other channels" as it can't be tuned in to "other channels"

Thanks guys. I think I'm correct in saying now that I will get BBC1 HD, and ITV1 HD as I already have them in my "other channels"
    I won't get C4 HD as I don't have it in "other channels" as it can't be tuned in to "other channels"

This is exactly correct, I have both on my EPG. AFAIK it was never possible to tune in C4 HD into 'Other Channels'.

I didn't know BBC 1 HD could be tuned in to the other channels, does it go in to the epg after swapping back your sub card ?

• Advertisement

I didn't know BBC 1 HD could be tuned in to the other channels, does it go in to the epg after swapping back your sub card ?

It can't (now) but if you had it tuned in from way back then it's on the EPG too.

It can't (now) but if you had it tuned in from way back then it's on the EPG too.

Thanks gtg60, ah well that'll save me the bother of going off looking for the frequencies for it.

For those still finding it difficult to get hold of the correct region of card I have a few listed here:
    http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/blue-sky-card-for-adding-channel-5-etc-to-hd-box/971554

And remember one card can be shared between you and all of your friends :D
    So this card will definitely get me BBC 1 HD and ITV1 HD as I have them in my "other channels"?

So this card will definitely get me BBC 1 HD and ITV1 HD as I have them in my "other channels"?

Yes, as long as this 'card trick' works these cards are perfect for it.

Thanks.I'll order one now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Thanks.I'll order one now.:)

I believe it also depends on which region card you get. My card is 'Anglia West' and I can get BBC1HD (previously put on Other Channels) but I can't get ITV1HD, except unrecordable in Other Channels.

Have a read through this thread before you buy card to make sure u get the one u want.

• Advertisement

maximus02 wrote: »
    I believe it also depends on which region card you get. My card is 'Anglia West' and I can get BBC1HD (previously put on Other Channels) but I can't get ITV1HD, except unrecordable in Other Channels.

Have a read through this thread before you buy card to make sure u get the one u want.

Which is why I am selling these cards on adverts.ie, I've found a source for the correct regions and regularly record off ITV1 HD and BBC1 HD. You are correct though about incorrect regions not working properly (I've more than a dozen useless cards at home :( )

What I'm curious about is why some Sky card sellers claim to be able to give you BBC 1 HD,ITV HD ,C.5 HD C.4 HD such as. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/FULY-ACTIVATED-AND-WORKING-SKY-FREESAT-WHITE-VIEWING-CARD-FREE-POST-/270830854055?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item3f0ec6dfa7 Is this correct?

What I'm curious about is why some Sky card sellers claim to be able to give you BBC 1 HD,ITV HD ,C.5 HD C.4 HD such as. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/FULY-ACTIVATED-AND-WORKING-SKY-FREESAT-WHITE-VIEWING-CARD-FREE-POST-/270830854055?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item3f0ec6dfa7 Is this correct?

You haven't read this thread properly, basically those cards will allow the channels listed only while the UK card is in the box, that's completely useless because you can't record them or view your normal channels, also only FTA channels that can be tuned into 'Other Channels' will stay on your Irish EPG.

You haven't read this thread properly, basically those cards will allow the channels listed only while the UK card is in the box, that's completely useless because you can't record them or view your normal channels, also only FTA channels that can be tuned into 'Other Channels' will stay on your Irish EPG.
    Once again,thanks for clearing this point up.But why do you give me a slap across the face at the same time with your "you haven't read this thread properly"remark?:D The reason I'm asking an obvious authority on the subject such as you, is because the thread (at times) is a mass of confusion, and contradictions to the average non tech.layman.:)

Once again,thanks for clearing this point up.But why do you give me a slap across the face at the same time with your "you haven't read this thread properly"remark?:D

I'm sorry if that's the way it sounded I simply meant all the info is in the thread, it's easy to see how it could be misinterpreted though.

Anyway, on another thread it has been announced that Five* and Five USA will be FTA before the end of the year which (fingers crossed) means it's quite likely the 'card trick' will allow these channels on our EPG too :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement