Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Gaming PC under €450

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Overall its good, but you could make a few small changes to save money:

-Drop the PSU down to the 450W version. 550W is overkill for a single 6850

-Get the X4 955, when you overclock them they're pretty much the same anyway.

-Get the Spinpoint F3 500GB instead. Its a slightly better drive, that motherboard doesn't support SATA3 and its a gimmick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Velvety

I'm looking to build a gaming PC myself for around the same budget. I really like the look of what you've put together Lukker. Deconduo's reccomendations look the business too.

Is that a single 4GB stick of ram for 20 euro? Could you have 8GBs of ram on that motherboard for 40 euro?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yep. You can get 2x4GB Corsair 1333MHz DDR3 for €36.50! :eek::D

Damn those AM3 CPUs are getting cheap :eek:

Aside from deconduo's suggestions I'd recommend changing the mobo to this. An Asus that cheap can't be trusted (and has terrible audio :p)

Right I'm very close to ordering a similar build to this. One quick question: is there a special part required to pick up a wireless internet connection on a desktop like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Velvety wrote: »
    Right I'm very close to ordering a similar build to this. One quick question: is there a special part required to pick up a wireless internet connection on a desktop like this?

Yeah, one of these'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 whats this for?

Yeah, one of these'll do.
    Solitaire wrote: »
    Internal is better isin't it?

This one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Internal is better isin't it?

This one?
    doesn't work with Windows 7. its drivers are in beta stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

(I could be comletely wrong in asking this question but anyway...)
    Is this a well-known site? Do they offer warranties with all the parts? Im just very sceptical about the price of the parts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Very well known and for the most part, the reports from them are good from anyone who's bought from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

We've been recommending them for years now, very few complaints really compared to other retailers - plus they are German, they have a fetish for perfection.

Just got this machine up and running. Very happy with it but the graphics card isn't being detected. I installed windows 7 and under the screen resolution only the on-board graphics are showing up, rather than the lovely Sapphire HD 6850. Same when I run dxdiag.

Any idea why this might be?

By the way, I got HWVS to build it for me. Just looking in the box of bits and pieces now I have a strange looking cable leftover. Do I have to connect the card to something internally?

Just got this machine up and running. Very happy with it but the graphics card isn't being detected. I installed windows 7 and under the screen resolution only the on-board graphics are showing up, rather than the lovely Sapphire HD 6850. Same when I run dxdiag.

Have you made sure its seated properly? Have you plugged in the PCI-E power cable to it?

When you turn on the computer does the fan on it turn on?

Have you plugged in the PCI-E power cable to it?

That's exactly what I haven't done. I'll google around now for a guide. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Did you install the drivers?

That's exactly what I haven't done. I'll google around now for a guide. Thanks.

Its not difficult. The cable will look like one of these:
    pci-e-power-connector-2.jpgpcie6plus2index.jpg

You need to plug it into the slot that looks like this, in the upper right corner. It might not be in the same place on your graphics card, but it will look the same.
    amd_6850_power.jpg

Thanks a lot for your quick help. Strangely it's now been detected. Coming up in dxdiag and my resolution changed dramatically.

That picture of the cable you posted is exactly what I have here, but it must be a spare one or something?

Thanks a lot for your quick help. Strangely it's now been detected. Coming up in dxdiag and my resolution changed dramatically.

That picture of the cable you posted is exactly what I have here, but it must be a spare one or something?

Ah it was probably drivers so. Make sure to get the latest version of the Catalyst drivers.

Yeah it must have been, it took a couple of restarts for them to be recognised though. Again, thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    doesn't work with Windows 7. its drivers are in beta stage.

It works just fine, I use it. The drivers aren't even needed as windows 7 has the drivers from install. At least every time I format the wireless works without any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I have a strange looking cable leftover. Do I have to connect the card to something internally?

Like this?

172366.jpg

You don't need that if you've already connected it directly with the PCI-E cable from the PSU.

Be sure to install the latest CCC.
    http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

I'm gunna make something like this.. Does the cooling paste matter - like will any of the pastes do or is one preferable?

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'm gunna make something like this.. Does the cooling paste matter - like will any of the pastes do or is one preferable?

The difference between pastes is fairly minimal, using an expensive one will only make a difference of 3-5C at most.

deconduo wrote: »
    The difference between pastes is fairly minimal, using an expensive one will only make a difference of 3-5C at most.

Was gunna ask you to see if you could login with my details and build it, but I think I have it sorted now. But..

When I select the graphics card from the configurator it doesn't find the one listed in this thread :(

Any ideas??

Was gunna ask you to see if you could login with my details and build it, but I think I have it sorted now. But..

When I select the graphics card from the configurator it doesn't find the one listed in this thread :(

Any ideas??

Don't use the configurator. Just put the parts in your basket and then add this at the end to get them to build it for you:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746&agid=829

deconduo wrote: »
    Don't use the configurator. Just put the parts in your basket and then add this at the end to get them to build it for you:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=746&agid=829

Oh alright

Cheers man :)<3

decon, would you login to my account and check my basket - just make sure i have everything i need for the pc before i order it to be built?

i have a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers already, so i just need the tower that what not that was listed. i can pm you on my login details.

decon, would you login to my account and check my basket - just make sure i have everything i need for the pc before i order it to be built?

i have a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers already, so i just need the tower that what not that was listed. i can pm you on my login details.

You can just use Fluffy's script to copy and paste the basket here, safer than giving someone your details :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056303834

• Advertisement

Advertisement