Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Old Republic Beta invites

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

2+ million in one day? I very much doubt that mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Doc,

You going to stream all day Tuesday if you get in?

I plan to Stream all my SWTOR play, so yeah will be streaming Tuesday. I'm very much assuming I'm in at this stage but I unless hundreds of thousands got in before me, 2 hours after the website oepened to enter codes, I'm pretty sure I'm in.

I did some tweaking with my settings on twitch and my WoW videos have been coming out nicely, did some testing through swtor beta and was able to stream high res stuff too.

I'll putting all videos onto my youtube account aswell, and I'm hoping to have some commentary and **** going on aswell

Towliee the second :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

2+ million in one day? I very much doubt that mate.

2 million EU?

I reckon we'll all get in.

I think they are doing it in two day batches.

From rumblings on the internet, the hardware they have in place won't do to well , and didn't do too well under the stress tes tthey did.

I'd imagine they will break it up in blocks of how every many every two days dependant on time of preorder.

Definitly wont be everyone in at once

2 million EU?

Worldwide. I suspect EU numbers are probably in the high hundreds of thousands. Getting all those people in in one day, while forcing the NAs to wait would not lead to good PR for the game overall. EUers may get in faster if they decide to split them into separate streams but getting all of us in on day one is very unlikely in my books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TheDoc wrote: »
    I plan to Stream all my SWTOR play, so yeah will be streaming Tuesday. I'm very much assuming I'm in at this stage but I unless hundreds of thousands got in before me, 2 hours after the website oepened to enter codes, I'm pretty sure I'm in.

I did some tweaking with my settings on twitch and my WoW videos have been coming out nicely, did some testing through swtor beta and was able to stream high res stuff too.

I'll putting all videos onto my youtube account aswell, and I'm hoping to have some commentary and **** going on aswell

Towliee the second :P

Good stuff, ill be tuning in at some stage for sure if i miss out tomorrow.
    If its 2 day batches i should get in tomorrow,i entered pre order code on 30th July so fingers crossed.
    What class you rolling?

Dont forget to link us :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Good stuff, ill be tuning in at some stage for sure if i miss out tomorrow.
    If its 2 day batches i should get in tomorrow,i entered pre order code on 30th July so fingers crossed.
    What class you rolling?

Dont forget to link us :)

I'm rolling Jedi Guardian and then not sure bout alt, Gunslinger or Trooper dps.

I'm also weary of the old shilling of links, so I've appended it to my comment :)

If you follow me on twitch.tv youll be updated when I'm going live and what with

TBH it all might be **** in the pan, my clients in work just had a couple of critical issues so i might not get tomorrow off

*throat slit*

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

I'm rolling Jedi Guardian and then not sure bout alt, Gunslinger or Trooper dps.

I'm also weary of the old shilling of links, so I've appended it to my comment :)

If you follow me on twitch.tv youll be updated when I'm going live and what with

TBH it all might be **** in the pan, my clients in work just had a couple of critical issues so i might not get tomorrow off

*throat slit*

you are aware that ATT are playing Empire faction?

Omphin wrote: »
    you are aware that ATT are playing Empire faction?

Witless is taking ATT and going Empire, and a few might join him.

The rest of us are going with a friend wow guild to Republic. There wasn't the best of communications really, but with only alot of the lads deciding to join star wars in the last couple of weeks, decisions came thick and fast.

While the guild wont be called ATT, alot of the ATT boys going Republic, things might change on release but at the moment that is how we are rolling.

Beta invites starting to go out

Two of the lads got their start tomorrow at 1pm.

And they put their codes in three days ago :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Worldwide. I suspect EU numbers are probably in the high hundreds of thousands. Getting all those people in in one day, while forcing the NAs to wait would not lead to good PR for the game overall. EUers may get in faster if they decide to split them into separate streams but getting all of us in on day one is very unlikely in my books.

what makes ye think that? Surely there are Euro and US servers. If the EU numbers are far below the US ones in terms of preorders, I cant see why they wouldnt get the servers filled up as soon as they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

what makes ye think that? Surely there are Euro and US servers. If the EU numbers are far below the US ones in terms of preorders, I cant see why they wouldnt get the servers filled up as soon as they could.

The yanks get a tad upset if there not treated as number one customers :)

god love them!

Because ultimately this is headstart, not launch and they'll want to bring people in in waves as smoothly as they can so that servers can be brought online as they're needed. Using that data they'll be able to estimate how many servers they'll need for launch as opposed to Rift simply opening up dozens of them and having them needing to be merged after the first month.

Thing is though, I don't think EU numbers are that far below the US ones. If there are say 2.5 million preorders, then I'd hazard a guess that a million of them are probably EU ones which would mean it's a 2:3 split. At worst I'd say the Americans might outnumber EU players by a 2:1 margin which would still mean over 800,000 EU players. Which is, to my knowledge about as many people as were invited for the last two beta weekends.

I'm also assuming BioWare does separate out the invitation process between the NA and EU, based on the fact there will be more NA preorders than EU ones and simply inviting globally based on date redemption would lead to NA players potentially taking over EU servers because of overcrowding. Even doing it that way, where EU players gets priority access so we can fill EU servers, you'd still be talking about hundreds of thousands of EU players being invited in the one day, on top of all the NA ones. It'd be total chaos.

Instead I expect BioWare to invite roughly equal numbers of EU and NA players, where EU players with later registration than NA ones still get in earlier to balance server populations, in waves gradually over the first few days.

At least, that's how I figure it will go down but maybe BioWare want to give people as much headstart as possible.

its still speculation though, annoying they've taken down their forums too until tomorrow :/

I heard that there wont be any ip locks on US ip's joining euro servers too, and vice versa. Cant see them filling up euro servers with impatient us gamers though.

Now up to five friends with their confirmation. All pre-ordered in the last week.

I'll be pissed if I dont get mine, the only thing I can think off, is that I'm watching numerous streams and twitter accounts of swtor players who say they havnt got them. The guys I know wh got were all friends and family accounts, so fingers crossed they are going out first

You'd be surprised. For the Thanksgiving weekend beta BioWare didn't open enough EU-English servers and the response was simply for English speakers take over some of the French and German instead. Without region divides, I can see the Americans doing the same thing if too many people simply want to access the game.

The opening time for servers is also more favourable to EU by comparison.

(Doc can you confirm they've actually been invited or are they trolling? I've heard nothing yet of confirmed invites on any of three SWTOR sites I'm on besides here.)

WEll got the two days of work, so if a access does come, serious streaming inc

Why didn't bioware not seperate the servers? e.g. US can't play on EU

Probably no real downside to it tbh, I never understood why there was a region lock in WoW tbh

• Advertisement

Probably no real downside to it tbh, I never understood why there was a region lock in WoW tbh

I thought it was to stop lag among players as the ping would be high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Poor latency only really messes you up, though, and having played to a US server from Europe, it wasn't too bad.

I have to say, not locking people out was one of the decisions made by Bioware I liked best - I had a friend who had to go to great difficulty to play WoW on a US copy, because that's where his friends who played were.

Generally locking servers regionally serves no real benefit other than situations like this, which are generally a once off. Keeping servers available to both regions means those with friends can pop over to either server set they like and be able to have fun. Generally it's a good thing which is why the vast majority of games now do it.

Advertisement