Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Old Republic Beta invites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

haha crafty buggers they are.

Weekend of Skyrim release and they mass invite thousands of EU players (including myself on an alternate email address), but don't say when it's active. And this with only a month to go before the release of the game.

It's not even proper beta testing anymore as the game is mostly done, it's just upping the interest in the game before the release.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I also got an invite, doesnt refer to what weekend though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Got an invite too. Happy days. Hope its not for a weekend or two tho, I have Skyrim/BF3/MW3/Saints Row 3 to juggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Dcully wrote: »
    I also got an invite, doesnt refer to what weekend though?

Best guesses are either 26-27th of November of 3-4th of December. If I had to pick I'd say probably the November ones because it gives BioWare over three weeks of word of mouth advertising as against the 10-15 days they'd have if it goes in December.

Frankly I'm still very disappointed the EU got 1, apparently quite small, general beta and this is very likely going to be our only beta weekend prior to launch. I'm having distinct flashbacks to WAR and hoping they're not justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

This one will be the last - it's the I can't believe it's not open beta to stress test the **** out of the servers prior to launch.

My money's on Thanksgiving weekend for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

Checked my emails while skyrim installed and i was like no:eek::eek:.... no not this weekend !

Happy out I got the invite cant wait for the testing weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Raphael wrote: »
    My money's on Thanksgiving weekend for it.

Didn't even think of that, but that'd be the 26th/27th weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Best guesses are either 26-27th of November of 3-4th of December. If I had to pick I'd say probably the November ones because it gives BioWare over three weeks of word of mouth advertising as against the 10-15 days they'd have if it goes in December.

Frankly I'm still very disappointed the EU got 1, apparently quite small, general beta and this is very likely going to be our only beta weekend prior to launch. I'm having distinct flashbacks to WAR and hoping they're not justified.

I was in the WAR beta for the best part of a year and so were a good few euro guildies from Goonsquad.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

I got the invite also, only 20gb to go now :)

I actually got 2 email invites, one for the general beta now and one for the testing weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slyph

RichieD wrote: »
    I actually got 2 email invites, one for the general beta now and one for the testing weekend.

Where did you find the download link ?

In my invite email, all I got was notification of an invite, no sign of a download link :(

slyph wrote: »
    Where did you find the download link ?

In my invite email, all I got was notification of an invite, no sign of a download link :(

In the general invite email there is a grey button that says respond now.

I think you only got the weekend testing email that came from swtor@email.swtor.com

The general beta invite comes from no-reply@bioware.swtor.com.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I got the Weekend Test mail too, have just checked over twice and no mention of a date, so I guess that means I'll just keep playing BF3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I got the invite also, only 20gb to go now :)

Just wondering what way the download works, is it torremt based like WoW?

I'll be ordering up parts for an i7-2600K system next week and I'd say it'll take about 5 working days for the parts to arrive, hope they land before the beta weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Lads, where do we download it? Doesn't seem to be a link anywhere in the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

seanbmc wrote: »
    Lads, where do we download it? Doesn't seem to be a link anywhere in the email.

If you got the weekend invite then I think they will send another mail with a download link closer to the testing weekend itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Omphin

If you got the weekend invite then I think they will send another mail with a download link closer to the testing weekend itself.

Email was worded poorly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yea there was alot of confusion, the open beta will be to stress test hardware and expected Q's.

That is done usually the 3-4 weeks before release.

So I'm putting my money on last weekend in November

Just wondering what way the download works, is it torremt based like WoW?

I'll be ordering up parts for an i7-2600K system next week and I'd say it'll take about 5 working days for the parts to arrive, hope they land before the beta weekend :)

Not sure but it was seriously fast for me getting around 3mb/s on my 30mbit UPC connection, was done in 2-3 hours.

I spent all weekend playing and though it takes a few hours getting used to it, all i can say is its amazing. Best MMO I've ever played and its still in Beta.

It has the depth of a huge single player game with great storylines and quests that actually make sense plot wise, not just kill X crocodiles.

Then you get the bonuses of being an MMO with pvp & flashpoints and general social interaction, the companions are also really useful.

I've tried all the classes and really they are all fun to play in their own ways. Im not really into Star Wars lore so i'll probably play an agent or smuggler but those classes get great backstories too.

There are definately some kinks to be worked out in game but it has the making of the biggest MMO ever, dont think anyone will be disappointed with it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Not sure but it was seriously fast for me getting around 3mb/s on my 30mbit UPC connection, was done in 2-3 hours.

I spent all weekend playing and though it takes a few hours getting used to it, all i can say is its amazing. Best MMO I've ever played and its still in Beta.

It has the depth of a huge single player game with great storylines and quests that actually make sense plot wise, not just kill X crocodiles.

Then you get the bonuses of being an MMO with pvp & flashpoints and general social interaction, the companions are also really useful.

I've tried all the classes and really they are all fun to play in their own ways.

There are definately some kinks to be worked in the game but it has the making of the biggest MMO ever, dont think anyone will be disappointed with it overall.

I too got the email the weekend for the stress test but i reckon on 2mb ill be still downloading it after it is finished :P i only what to see what two classes are like to decide what will be the first class i play

• Advertisement

jeawan wrote: »
    I too got the email the weekend for the stress test but i reckon on 2mb ill be still downloading it after it is finished :P i only what to see what two classes are like to decide what will be the first class i play

They were doing stress testing on the weekend too for US players. I think they are doing it every weekend now until release and inviting different groups of players each weekend.

Servers were up and down a few times for restarting and maintenance and the EU servers were turned off a lot of time.

Still I had no majors issues when playing on the US servers with about 130 ms, PvP was a bit messy though.

The FAQ would tend to disagree - this was the mega-test over in the US, there's (probably) only one weekend left, and it's the global test.

Does this announcement mean I can play Star Wars: The Old Republic this weekend (November 11th to 13th)?

No it does not, unless you have a previous testing invite - either to this weekend (November 11th to 13th) or to general Game Testing (ongoing). The Beta Testing Weekend we are referring to will happen within the next few weeks.

When will the Beta Testing Weekend start?

It will happen in the next few weeks. We'll have an announcement on the exact timing closer to the weekend's start.

Will this be the final Beta Testing Weekend?

Currently, we expect it to be.

The FAQ would tend to disagree - this was the mega-test over in the US, there's (probably) only one weekend left, and it's the global test.

Oh right, well if that was the real mega-test then the servers held up extremely well.

Don't think it was quite mega, but it was way bigger than any before from the devs are saying. Next one is everyone who'd signed up for beta testing prior to November 11th, plus anyone who gets a code from a bunch of websites. So pretty much anyone who wants in, will be in. Should be a great server test, and some great PR if they couple it with dropping the NDA.

Don't think it was quite mega, but it was way bigger than any before from the devs are saying. Next one is everyone who'd signed up for beta testing prior to November 11th, plus anyone who gets a code from a bunch of websites. So pretty much anyone who wants in, will be in. Should be a great server test, and some great PR if they couple it with dropping the NDA.

Yeah I dont know why they drop the NDA at this stage.

The game is so good it would create a good buzz and get a few more pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Should be a great server test, and some great PR if they couple it with dropping the NDA.

The beta has been pretty much a disaster as far as PR goes in fairness, any good publicity they garnish won't gloss over it.

Yeah? Anything in particular about it, I haven't come across much.

Beta Weekend is the 25th -28th, the invites and download links'll be going out next week - meaning I'll be downloading the client in work, where I have ridonkulous speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Beta keys here http://www.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=87096

I have a spare one for someone if they run out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got a key this morning.

Question, if i pre-order this in Gamestop/HMV, do i get the early access, and will i be able to download it through Origin? I'm just credit-card less at the moment.

Advertisement