Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Old Republic Beta invites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Will be interesting to see they handle this compared to say the Rift Beta which did quite well with the huge influx of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Well, from what I've heard last week was a pretty huge beta, and it held up not too badly. 'Spose we'll see this time next week.

Kiith wrote: »
    Got a key this morning.

Question, if i pre-order this in Gamestop/HMV, do i get the early access, and will i be able to download it through Origin? I'm just credit-card less at the moment.
    You get early access, but possibly not the full 5 days - they're scaling the amount you get by when you pre-ordered, though they haven't put out the exact details of who gets in when - probably be based in part on how the stress test goes.

You'll be able to download the client prior to early access - although, the client from this weekend is probably either the retail client or patchable into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Game is extremely polished especially for a Beta, have only played up to level 10 so far but I have to say it's very impressive so far.

How they have incorporated actual RPG elements into normal levelling and questing is fantastic especially when playing with a friend who has a different mentality to you with one of you going towards dark tendency and the other light. Makes rolling for quest decisions interesting!! :D

Straight away you can tell leveling will be enjoyable and not a chore or grind. I told myself I would never play another MMO as they are too much of a time sink but after playing this I know I won't be able to pass it up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Big Knox wrote: »
    Game is extremely polished especially for a Beta, have only played up to level 10 so far but I have to say it's very impressive so far.

How they have incorporated actual RPG elements into normal levelling and questing is fantastic especially when playing with a friend who has a different mentality to you with one of you going towards dark tendency and the other light. Makes rolling for quest decisions interesting!! :D

Straight away you can tell leveling will be enjoyable and not a chore or grind. I told myself I would never play another MMO as they are too much of a time sink but after playing this I know I won't be able to pass it up. :o

True, but every recent game has "failed" (and I use the term very losely) because of the lack of decent end game with the released version.. Athough it's a beta, it will be released in a month so very little will change between now and then. Hopefully this one will will break the mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Welease wrote: »
    True, but every recent game has "failed" (and I use the term very losely) because of the lack of decent end game with the released version.. Athough it's a beta, it will be released in a month so very little will change between now and then. Hopefully this one will will break the mould.

Apart from LOTRO which had a great launch, tons of leveling content but suffered from a huge lack of end game content I think most of the recent MMO's which I would class in the failed department had way more issues than just lacking an endgame.

Age of Conan was a bug ridden and rushed out the door game, had very little content to get you to max level, so many broken features like PvP and city building/city wars and was all over the place balance wise. The fact the Dev team didn't seem to have any idea post launch what direction the game was going in didn't help either.

Warhammer Online was another rushed out the door product that failed to deliver all the pre hyped and promised content and was a total mess to play.

DC Universe online again suffered from lack of content and any replay value for the player and again failed to deliver on promised additional content after launch. The lack of a proper UI and chat system on the PC version didn't help.

Star Trek Online was another rushed out the door game lacking content, factions, replay value and so much other promised pre launch content never mind the sheer lack of content post launch. A cash shop which sold content most other MMO's provide for free for a monthly subscription really drove away players.

Rift I feel could be a great game, but suffers from a serious lack of endgame content but the Dev team seem to be trying to fix it this issue.

The developers of all the above once AAA titles failed to see the that to make it in the rather full MMO market you need to release a quality product from day one and a botched game launch will kill you. There are just to many other MMO's never mind F2P MMO's out there these days to try and push out a rushed out the door product with the hope of fixing it further down the line as the days of EQ1 and UO being the only kids on the block are long past.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Apart from LOTRO which had a great launch, tons of leveling content but suffered from a huge lack of end game content I think most of the recent MMO's which I would class in the failed department had way more issues than just lacking an endgame.

Age of Conan was a bug ridden and rushed out the door game, had very little content to get you to max level, so many broken features like PvP and city building/city wars and was all over the place balance wise. The fact the Dev team didn't seem to have any idea post launch what direction the game was going in didn't help either.

Warhammer Online was another rushed out the door product that failed to deliver all the pre hyped and promised content and was a total mess to play.

DC Universe online again suffered from lack of content and any replay value for the player and again failed to deliver on promised additional content after launch. The lack of a proper UI and chat system on the PC version didn't help.

Star Trek Online was another rushed out the door game lacking content, factions, replay value and so much other promised pre launch content never mind the sheer lack of content post launch. A cash shop which sold content most other MMO's provide for free for a monthly subscription really drove away players.

Rift I feel could be a great game, but suffers from a serious lack of endgame content but the Dev team seem to be trying to fix it this issue.

The developers of all the above once AAA titles failed to see the that to make it in the rather full MMO market you need to release a quality product from day one and a botched game launch will kill you. There are just to many other MMO's never mind F2P MMO's out there these days to try and push out a rushed out the door product with the hope of fixing it further down the line as the days of EQ1 and UO being the only kids on the block are long past.

Yes.. :)

I personally can put up with poor levelling content (I even put up with Aion grindfest), but if the end game sucks then everyone leaves.. unfortunately with the Beta's you don't really get to see the "proper" end game.

Fingers crossed SWTOR will be different, but I don't see much that is different from the other games to make this a success.. To be honest though, I'm not even sure what the end game is in SWTOR so I'm not in a position to comment much :)

Either way.. I'll be lined up in Early Access eager to try it out

Welease wrote: »
    Yes.. :)

I personally can put up with poor levelling content (I even put up with Aion grindfest), but if the end game sucks then everyone leaves.. unfortunately with the Beta's you don't really get to see the "proper" end game.

Fingers crossed SWTOR will be different, but I don't see much that is different from the other games to make this a success.. To be honest though, I'm not even sure what the end game is in SWTOR so I'm not in a position to comment much :)

Either way.. I'll be lined up in Early Access eager to try it out

For me endgame content while a must have for an MMO is something that can be added to a game a month or two after launch (max length of time tho) where a crappy leveling system or limited leveling routes is an issue that is never really fixable.

WoW, LOTRO and Warhammer got the level route right with multiple options so running an 2nd or 3rd alt character still gives you something new to see. Sadly its just the norm now that after hitting max level the first time round, there is nothing new to see when trying out a new class or race. Thankfully TOR and GW2 seem to offer lots of alt fodder content :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Didnt get the second email yet after last weeks one but I went to http://www.swtor.com/tester just there and I am able to download the client. Emails are probably being sent now..

Venom wrote: »
    For me endgame content while a must have for an MMO is something that can be added to a game a month or two after launch (max length of time tho) where a crappy leveling system or limited leveling routes is an issue that is never really fixable.

WoW, LOTRO and Warhammer got the level route right with multiple options so running an 2nd or 3rd alt character still gives you something new to see. Sadly its just the norm now that after hitting max level the first time round, there is nothing new to see when trying out a new class or race. Thankfully TOR and GW2 seem to offer lots of alt fodder content :)

I suppose our posts show why it's difficult for developers, people want different elements from games :) Personally I don't mind a crappy levelling system and lack of diversity.. While I generally end up with multiple chars over time, I prefer to level one quickly and get to end game. I have little or no interest in dungeons, raids or alternative levelling paths (I generally don't even read quests :)).. In fact, I prefer exactly the same levelling path, so I know where everything is, and I can get it done quickly.

For me..

WOW - I think instanced pvp is pointless.. It's a fraction of the fun knowing you have the same numbers and a locked in small map area. Open rvr like DAOC is a ton more fun, where your 8 man can run around a corner into 100 enemies.
    AoC - Bugged end game with immune people, no city sieges, points only for kill shots so healers get nothing.. no real point to the end game so people spawn camp
    Aion - Apart from the grindfest, there was little to do at the end game. Flying was nice, but they implemented a timer, and with the small islands everything huddled on the main rocks as it was impossible to stay airborne and fight.
    Warhammer - RVR was pointless.. It was just swapping flags for points, and the city instances were just a grind for gear (when they worked).. It's a pity because with DAOC they had it perfect with 3 realms and relics.
    Rift - Had great potential, especially being able to swap builds on the fly, but again.. no real point to the rvr. It became an instanced grindfest because it was quicker.
    Lotro - Nice quests etc. only got to mid 40's.. but no real rvr either
    GW - Levelled up a toon, but never really enjoyed any part of it, so didn't try end game.

I think DAOC had it perfect, but it took a long time to get there.. 3 realms.. so the smaller 2 can synch up and fight against the 3rd. Really does help to balance out servers. Relics.. 6 relics, 3 gave strength bonus's and 3 gave power bonus's.. having 3 of each would give a 20% bonus to that stat.. there was a real point to taking a chain of keeps and holding them. It led to organised 5am raids with hundreds of people to capture your enemies relics etc. You got all the points individually to make your chars stonger like in most games, but the relics gave people a major purpose to work together.

Anyway, we shall see :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I couldn't care less about the end game content in ToR. The story aspect is the main thing that's got me excited. As long as the gameplay is good, and the story is good, i'm sold.

Also, i RSVP'd for the invite, but it still doesn't give me a date for the test. I'm assuming it's this weekend coming?

• Advertisement

I couldn't care less about the end game content in ToR. The story aspect is the main thing that's got me excited. As long as the gameplay is good, and the story is good, i'm sold.

Also, i RSVP'd for the invite, but it still doesn't give me a date for the test. I'm assuming it's this weekend coming?

Yeah 25th-28th iirc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im the opposite, story means nothing to me, i simply want good pve with loads of end game content mainly pve, i dont ask for much :)
    I dont think i should pay a sub for a good story, i want long term appeal to keep me subbed, end game is the only real reason ill stay subbed long term.

I've never been an end game person tbh. Running the same dungeons in Warcraft over and over again nearly brought me to tears. Loved the setting, and enjoyed running them once or twice, but the endless grind just pissed me off. I'll happily pay a sub for this, even though i'll probably end up playing it as a single player rpg, with a chat room to talk to friends. Also, cause its Star Wars.

Maybe i'm missing the point off MMO's :pac:

I've never been an end game person tbh. Running the same dungeons in Warcraft over and over again nearly brought me to tears. Loved the setting, and enjoyed running them once or twice, but the endless grind just pissed me off. I'll happily pay a sub for this, even though i'll probably end up playing it as a single player rpg, with a chat room to talk to friends. Also, cause its Star Wars.

Different end games for different people.

For some it's pve dungeons and raids.. for some (me) it's pvp avoiding pve where possible :)

I take your point but raiding end game in wow or aoc for example was never a grind to me personally, i always saw it as our weekly attempt at bosses, working out our own tactics etc and playing as a team is up there with my favourite moments in gaming.
    As welease says different endgames for different people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

I'd be quite similar to Kilth, running dungeons in WoW was an automatic snoozefest for me. WAR's RvR kept me in the game for so long because it was so utterly dependant on who you came up against which changed from hour to hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just got the link to download the game, site isn't working though

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

ShaneU wrote: »
    Just got the link to download the game, site isn't working though

Same i can not login keep getting login failure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Odd, the site is working perfectly for me. Did you do the reset they mentioned a couple of weeks back? They may have locked out anyone who didn't so they can enforce the change.

How big is the client for this weekends beta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

It's 20 Gbs .
    I'm half way there!

So tempted to download this in work. Probably shouldnt though...

-Kenny- wrote: »
    It's 20 Gbs .
    I'm half way there!

Fcuk, thats over 20 hours for me :( not sure if ill bother for just a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

So tempted to download this in work. Probably shouldnt though...

Thats what I'm doing. :o

-Kenny- wrote: »
    Thats what I'm doing. :o

I was going to do this but reading Swtor Forums there is a large amount of people in the same boat as me not able to log in and also getting the secret question wrong when you know it is right , there customer support are not answering and not returning emails . Kinda crap as it take me a while to download the client

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Server seems to be having trouble, keep getting requests timeouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

I actually got another invite today to my second account!

Now I can multibox the beta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Got the download client, now I can't seem to log in, saying my password is incorect and something about them changing password policy.

Waiting for a password email now.

seanbmc wrote: »
    Got the download client, now I can't seem to log in, saying my password is incorect and something about them changing password policy.

This seems to be wide spread at the moment i can not login either as it says the same thing

• Advertisement

seanbmc wrote: »

Probley just a case of the servers getting hammered but did you set up the secret questions for you're account?

If not you will need to pick 5-6 answers to questions that get asked after the usual user name/password for logging in.

Advertisement