Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First 10k of Cycle

• 10-08-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi, Only started cycling recently, but find that the first 10k is nearly the hardest. Sore legs, catching my breath etc seems harder until I get into a routine and I'm fine then. I'm not doing big speeds compared to the rest of ye, (average 23kmph over 50k on Monday).
    Anyway, assuming this is because of a lack of warm up. But is there any way to shorten the time it takes to get going? Really is the only part of the cycle I find to be a pain in the a$$.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Take it a bit easier in the first couple of km before you start pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Like all new things cycling takes some getting used too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It's temporary. You've just reminded me of something I used to experience but had forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Me too! A few times I've been out and felt very tempted to just turn round and go home again in the first 20 minutes, especially if it's very windy. This will pass as you do it more often and you get more into it and then you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

Don't attack the first few kilometers; use that as your warm-up. It really does get easier after a short while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

cheers lads. will keep at it and take it easier starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

As you warm up try spinning 1 gear lower than you would have chosen. Higher cadence is good practice and can be easier on the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've found myself really pushing it too hard on the first 5k or so, but lately I've been just taking it easy and it gets a lot easier and you kinda get into a rhythm and just keep going.

Advertisement