Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is O'Connell St (Dublin) so wide?

Options
  • 10-08-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,

Apologies if in the wrong thread, thought it would be more to do with Historic reasons than Infrastructure, please move if necessary.

Was just talking about this with my parents and neither of us could settle on a definitive answer. Why is O'Connell Street so overly wide? Was there initially a market in the middle? Were there more lanes? Was it a homage to Champs-Élysées and streets like that?
    Probably a simple answer but just looking for a definitive answer (if any) if anyone has one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

The layout was determined by the Wide Streets Commission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Streets_Commission

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

O'Connell Street didn't originally reach the river. It wasn't seen so much as a street as a long square, perhaps like Wenceslas Square in Prague. Only when it reached the river and the bridge was widened did it become a street as we now know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

From an ideological perspective, streets like O'Connoll Street may be said to be so wide so as faciliatate perambulating, to see and to be seen. See Gary Boyd's Dublin: Hospital, Spectacle and Vice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Feadpool

I'd agree with Katarin, that's the expanation given by my urban archaeology lecturer, it was all part of Georgian fashion, showing off and being seen. I would also assume that a wide street like that would act as a fire break

Advertisement