Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart or Factory?

• 10-08-2011 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

Please see photo attached(if attached)?, cant decide to run this heifer through the mart or let brucellosis test run out on herand feed her at grass for 6 weeks and kill her.

She march 08,freemartin, 580-600kg id say. Any advice welcome:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

100% mart. factories will rip u off especially if u only goin wit one or two!! at the mart u will have all kinds of buyers northern factory agents etc and u'l get a fairer price...IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Mart, serious quality heifer, there will be at each others throat for an animal of her quality and I probably would be the last bid. What would you be expecting for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Bodacious wrote: »
    Please see photo attached(if attached)?, cant decide to run this heifer through the mart or let brucellosis test run out on herand feed her at grass for 6 weeks and kill her.

She march 08,freemartin, 580-600kg id say. Any advice welcome:)

Mart- Martwatch figures are €2 per kg average (not saying she's average mind you, ;)), €1,200 here and now

Factory- presuming you can get her up to 650kgs after six weeks of meal (4 kgs per day @ €250 per tonne= €42) and with a killout of 52% this will give you a deadweight of 338kgs at current price of €3.70 gets you €1,250.

Close call, i'd be inclined to go with the factory through an agent you know and trust (is there such a thing???:rolleyes:), i like minimising the number of trips an animal has to make in it's lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

100% mart. factories will rip u off especially if u only goin wit one or two!! at the mart u will have all kinds of buyers northern factory agents etc and u'l get a fairer price...IMO

I thinking that alright, sent a cull cow a month ago and got an awful ass raping. At least with a group of heifers you can get a forward price etc:mad:

Mart, serious quality heifer, there will be at each others throat for an animal of her quality and I probably would be the last bid. What would you be expecting for her

She a nice heifer alright Bob but i bought her to breed, she PBNR but will never breed, id hope she beat 1100 anyway:confused:

• Advertisement

hold on, she is march 08, 41 months old, thats as good as any reason for a factory to screw you over. What mart would be your choice? Do any of you lads sell privately as I buy allot of our animals private. Just allot less hassle and cost nowadays especially for the seller.

locky76 wrote: »
    Mart- Martwatch figures are €2 per kg average (not saying she's average mind you, ;)), €1,200 here and now

Factory- presuming you can get her up to 650kgs after six weeks of meal (4 kgs per day @ €250 per tonne= €42) and with a killout of 52% this will give you a deadweight of 338kgs at current price of €3.70 gets you €1,250.

Close call, i'd be inclined to go with the factory through an agent you know and trust (is there such a thing???:rolleyes:), i like minimising the number of trips an animal has to make in it's lifetime.[/QUote

it is a very close call and you've the hassle of going out feeding her every evening!! my cows see a white bag and its all out war!!

might just run her through mart this sat and leave the finishing to the finishers, wouldnt trust agent too much either:)

hold on, she is march 08, 41 months old, thats as good as any reason for a factory to screw you over. What mart would be your choice? Do any of you lads sell privately as I buy allot of our animals private. Just allot less hassle and cost nowadays especially for the seller.

Balla, Co. Mayo.

I would buy private also, its so easy now with movement certs on line etc and you know the story if dam has milk, is a pure header etc:):)

Would also give more at mart if i had the background to the heifer/springer etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

630kg heifers made 1470 euros in new ross mart 2 weeks ago ,ballon meats i think bought them. i would move them now before the factories are full of grass cattle.

leg wax wrote: »
    630kg heifers made 1470 euros in new ross mart 2 weeks ago ,ballon meats i think bought them. i would move them now before the factories are full of grass cattle.

Thats some money must have been serious quality, ill shift her this weekend as blood is out 20th i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

at least if you are not happy with what she is making at the mart you can bring her home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I sold a cull cow, 7 years old I think in Ennis Mart a few weeks back. She was just over 800 Kgs - made 1550 Euro. I know where I'd sell her. She was a red Limousin like yours Bodacious, but not as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

pakalasa wrote: »
    I sold a cull cow, 7 years old I think in Ennis Mart a few weeks back. She was just over 800 Kgs - made 1550 Euro. I know where I'd sell her. She was a red Limousin like yours Bodacious, but not as good.

Whoop whoop!

prices are just incredible!!!

49801 wrote: »

Whoop whoop!

prices are just incredible!!!

that was some price, would it have to have been a factory buying that lady now as very little room to manouvere for anyone else ?

Fair play Pakakasa though, some cow 800kg and they say the limo don't reach the top weights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'd say you'd get 1260-1300 for her. Fierce quality heifer. She'd probably be sent north as well:D

that was some price, would it have to have been a factory buying that lady now as very little room to manouvere for anyone else ?

Fair play Pakakasa though, some cow 800kg and they say the limo don't reach the top weights!
    She may have been bought for further feeding, don't know. She could have put on a bit more condition. To be honest I was stunned at the weight and price. I only got rid of her because she was a bit of a physcho at calving. Enough people had told me to get rid of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

thats a good u grade heifer, should she not kill out much higher than 52% more like 56% or 58%

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    thats a good u grade heifer, should she not kill out much higher than 52% more like 56% or 58%

I'm not great at the grades or killing out percentages to be honest as only produce weanlings and kill the very odd cull cow.

Karen112 wrote: »
    I'd say you'd get 1260-1300 for her. Fierce quality heifer. She'd probably be sent north as well:D

I got E1465 for her, 645kg so v happy with that

What I tell ya? I knew she was better quality than my old cow.
    Long may it last eh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

i bet u were u want a special calculator to make sense of that
    I probably would be the last bid.
    hope u didnt buy her bob

i was closest so at 1470.:D

What I tell ya? I knew she was better quality than my old cow.
    Long may it last eh!

Its nice to get a nice touch out of them alright, she was heavier than i thought though when i got her in on the concrete... no complaints anyway:D:D

leg wax wrote: »
    i was closest so at 1470.:D

You were bang on leg wax!! you should run some sort of online evaluation service for vendors!!

I thought i'd be doing well if i got 1300 but was pleasantly surprised.

Saw a BA X CH jan 11 heifer weanling 330kg make E1005 but she was quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

and money good as guaranteed. couple of people round here caught selling stock off farm privately and cheques bounced.

and money good as guaranteed. couple of people round here caught selling stock off farm privately and cheques bounced.

do you reckon so? hmm, serious turnovers nowadays in some marts especially with the increase in stock value, the marts may be giving a little too much rope to some of their buyers hence crazy prices?

If selling off farm just be sure of your client.

dealerman wrote: »
    i bet u were u want a special calculator to make sense of that

hope u didnt buy her bob

No i was in a different mart, twas dearish enough, bought too many as usual.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

, may they be giving a little too much rope to some of their buyers hence crazy prices?

hav to agree here marts giving a months credit to some buyers is crazy

Do any of you lads sell privately as I buy allot of our animals private. Just allot less hassle and cost nowadays especially for the seller.

I bought replacement for one in picture there today private sale, good big loose grey char first calver with great bag of milk for a char and a heifer! 2 month old Blue shorthorn heifer calf at foot - bulled again to char bull - E1600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Good loser

I sold an AA R grade heifer a few weeks ago to AIBP. Single animal

Live weight on way to factory 490 kg. Cold weight 241 kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I bought replacement for one in picture there today private sale, good big loose grey char first calver with great bag of milk for a char and a heifer! 2 month old Blue shorthorn heifer calf at foot - bulled again to char bull - E1600

It's madness isn't it. I seen an import/redcard LM go for 1650 the other day, with a bad boned 4 week heifer at foot! Fair play on the price, glad to hear it :D

It's madness isn't it. I seen an import/redcard LM go for 1650 the other day, with a bad boned 4 week heifer at foot! Fair play on the price, glad to hear it :D

I can't grumble I suppose. When you get good money the day you sell you have to expect to pay the same when replacing her.

What's a red card lim?

I can't grumble I suppose. When you get good money the day you sell you have to expect to pay the same when replacing her.

What's a red card lim?
    shes imported.

whats a bad boned heifer? is it that she has light bones and not thick bones.

Advertisement