Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

once again the banks punish the innocent.

Options
  • 10-08-2011 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Had an account with Permanent TSB, I am eighteen years old and have had my account there for about four years. It is a standard current account and because I am in full time education I have never had charges on my bank account.

I got my statement about two weeks, and on the second page it said €12 service charge, to be taken 2 weeks after this statement so I went down the next day and closed my account, the guy never mentioned he was taking any charge or fee and just handed me my money.

I got a statement today from TSB which shows that before the guy who closed my account, he took €24 service charge.

I'm outraged and going to go down to the bank tomorrow tomorrow and demand a refund, I am in full time education so its a joke. I rang TSB helpline who couldn't access my account online told me to go to my local branch.

I personally feel like this is theft, am so mad, to me an unemployed college student €24 is a lot of money and I need it.

Comments

You didn't notice you were given €24 less than you had in your account?

Banks charge you for having an account with them. I get charged a few Euro annually by my bank. I agreed to this when I opened my account. I'm sure you did, yoo, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

You didn't notice you were given €24 less than you had in your account?

Banks charge you for having an account with them. I get charged a few Euro annually by my bank. I agreed to this when I opened my account. I'm sure you did, yoo, yes?

It is a standard current account and because I am in full time education I have never had charges on my bank account.

As you were unable to read the OP very long post yourself :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Before ranting and raving at the bank be 100% certain of all the T&C's in relation to your account. - Looks like you were very rash in your rush to close the account. - Did you ever hear of "look before you leap"?

Particulary this one

“My Cash” Account
    Second level students between the ages of 12 and 18 years
    of age, who hold a “My Cash” Account are eligible for fee and
    charge exemptions (please see full list of exemptions as
    outlined on pages 13 -15).

My guess is you stopped being a second level student on June 15th or thereabouts.

Fee & charge exemptions
    • Current account holders who, from our records are over
    sixty years of age or under the age of eighteen years or
    full time secondary/third level Students (for a period of
    five years only)

Looks like that as you've become and "adult" you now must start paying your way in the world.

If you start 3rd level education, you can open a student account.

and here are the charges that apply to your account since june

Standard Current Account
    • A quarterly account fee of €12.00 applies
    • There is no charge for automated and non-automated
    transactions as listed in page 3 of this brochure except (i)
    ATM transactions where charges will apply on Euro
    withdrawals outside the EU and on all non Euro withdrawals
    at 3.5% of the Euro value of the transaction (min. 3.17 &
    max. 11.43) and (ii) Debit Card Transactions where
    charges will apply on all debit transactions outside the
    eurozone at 1.75% of the Euro value of the transaction (min.
    0.46 and max 11.43).
    • No fee for standing order and direct debit set ups
    • No statement fee (excluding duplicates)
    • A cheque book or overdraft are not available with this
    account.

Advertisement