Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doubts about onboard

Options
  • 10-08-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Quick question(hopefully quick reply), building a box for the aul wan, very simple low budget thing.

GPU is a GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a
    Panel is 1920x1080

Its not a gaming machine, obviously, but I want to be sure of crisp HD playback. Also, it'll be an Ubuntu box for now, but may end up switching to 7 some time in the future, will the POS onboard be able to handle aero?

Thanks,
    LB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

can't tell you, but I can say a HD5450 or 6450 is very cheap (should be under €45 delivered) and will be future proof in that environment for years to come.

actually, I think AMD has bad driver support in ubuntu? get an NVIDIA equivalent, like the GT420 or similar. if you get a passive version (fanless) it'll be silent too obviously, it draws all its power from the PCIe slot so no need for a good PSU.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

No to both, that chipset has a DX9 GPU, you need DX10 GPU for Aero and DX10 AFAIK, and that same generation introduced HD playback support. As Tea said, you'll need a more modern GPU. Even an old 8400GS would do it, just get the cheapest G210/G430 you can find. Stay away from AMD unless the card you're looking at is known-good in your intended distro and app(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I fired ahead with it last night and said I could just grab a card if I needed one.

Will probably just stick the 8800GS thats on the shelf in it for the moment then sort something quieter. Also have an old commercial card that I'm not totally sure what it is:p

Will see how it all goes, thanks lads.

Advertisement