Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Music

Options
  • 10-08-2011 10:53pm

One thing I've noticed is that International Music (World Music, or simply music without English lyrics) really doesn't have a fanbase in Ireland. In fact fans of such bands are generally frowned upon (I've had a lot of people ask me why I just can't listen to English music, and how I can like a song when I don't understand the lyrics). The most exotic bands I've had people mention to me without being asked were Rammstein and t.a.t.u.
    What is the stigma in Ireland against bands that don't speak English? Or who simply aren't from Ireland/the UK/the US? There are plenty of people from other countries to listen to songs sung in English without really understanding the lyrics, and they're able to enjoy the music simply because they know the overall message. Why can't Irish people do the same?
    And on a personal note: Do you listen to foreign bands? Would you appreciate a beautiful song even if you didn't understand the lyrics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jason Fly

well, I think the concept "international music" is pretty general. most part of the people knows the music they hear on the radio, on watch on the tv, which is strictly in english language. you have to be really interested in other country to pay attention to the music made there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think quite a lot of people are aware of international music. I don't think believe there is any stigma beyond; some people just don't know a whole lot about music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Have a look at this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056080193

There's some great international music there, you'll feel happy while being proved wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

One of the most patronising things I have heard it called is "world music"..........

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Jason Fly wrote: »
    well, I think the concept "international music" is pretty general. most part of the people knows the music they hear on the radio, on watch on the tv, which is strictly in english language. you have to be really interested in other country to pay attention to the music made there[/QUOTE]

Actually, no you don't. I listen to French, Swedish, Polish, Japanese, Brazilian bands/musicians - and I could go on. That says nothing about my interest in those countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

And on a personal note: Do you listen to foreign bands? Would you appreciate a beautiful song even if you didn't understand the lyrics?

Yes, I do listen to foreign bands. To be honest, with any band I am more interested in the music than the lyrics themselves, so a voice is an instrument for me. It doesn't really matter if I understand it or not, it can still be appreciated as great music.

Advertisement