Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McClays Corner Stranorlar

Options
  • 10-08-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭

Its absolutely ridiculous that nothing has been done to ease conjestion at the corner! I know they werent going to touch it as the bypass was going to take away most of the traffic, well now there will be no by-pass for a long long long long time maybe the idiots in the roads office/council might think about at least putting a yellow box at this junction. Its the most ridiculous situation where there is a T junction in a town on a main road and absolutely no traffic control!! It also doesnt help that some idiot drivers dont know how to use their indicators so as to let other road users know which way they are going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Hehehehe, funny thing that bypass.

You know, I was looking through some old newspapers recently & came across one that was debating the Twin Town bypass. You know the date of the newspaper? 1986.

I won't be holding my breath for that bypass anytime soon. But it's good to know the country road bypass...I almost never drive through the towns anymore :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

<SNIP>

A roundabout there would have been much better.

Mod edit: Please stick to the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Seen a good few morons people who drive up the inside lane when there's a lot of traffic in the right turn lane, they then pull into the petrol station, drive straight through and indicate right:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sollar wrote: »
    <SNIP>

A roundabout there would have been much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

muffler wrote: »

There is no room for a roundabout there now.... that woud have greatly reduced the congestion. But planning was granted for said development.

For those of us who drive from Letterkenny to Donegal Town on a regular basis its very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

The best thing to do is take the left lane (for liiford) then take the next right, down the mill brae and come out at the mart/bus eireann. Perfectly legal and it will get you ahead of a lot of traffic

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

yourpics wrote: »
    The best thing to do is take the left lane (for liiford) then take the next right, down the mill brae and come out at the mart/bus eireann. Perfectly legal and it will get you ahead of a lot of traffic
    Shhh, that should be kept secret :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

byte wrote: »
    Shhh, that should be kept secret :D

no you all go that way and i can go the short cut :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Or turn right as your going down the hill before you come to McClays corner, eventually brings you out near Jacksons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I know about all the short cuts and do use them some times, but thats not the point, what i was getting at is the ridiculous situation of one of the busiest junctions possibly in the whole county and absolutely no traffic control of any sort at it and the council/Roads office's complete indifference to it.

• Advertisement

CJC999 wrote: »
    I know about all the short cuts and do use them some times, but thats not the point, what i was getting at is the ridiculous situation of one of the busiest junctions possibly in the whole county and absolutely no traffic control of any sort at it and the council/Roads office's complete indifference to it.

B for BYPASS! Thats what is needed, doubt I will see it in my lifetime though

byte

Is there any business running in McClay's premises atm?

Like, would it be overly expensive for the CoCo to buy it, toss it and throw a roundabout into the space made?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

byte wrote: »
    Is there any business running in McClay's premises atm?

Like, would it be overly expensive for the CoCo to buy it, toss it and throw a roundabout into the space made?

Wasn't there a baby and toddler kind of shop there. Selling clothes, toys, push chairs etc.

byte

Yeah, the toy shop was McClays (of Stranorlar), but that's gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

Senna wrote: »
    Seen a good few morons people who drive up the inside lane when there's a lot of traffic in the right turn lane, they then pull into the petrol station, drive straight through and indicate right:rolleyes:

The very odd morning I used to see a member of An Garda Siochanna standing outside Meenans watching for this. But all they'd have to do is take a look at the CCTV in the petrol pumps to nail those responsible. There is a certain type of driver that does this though who I won't name for fear of being accused of stereotyping!

doc_17 wrote: »
    The very odd morning I used to see a member of An Garda Siochanna standing outside Meenans watching for this. But all they'd have to do is take a look at the CCTV in the petrol pumps to nail those responsible. There is a certain type of driver that does this though who I won't name for fear of being accused of stereotyping!

is it taxis??

No.....they are from a certain geographical region

ah right!

Pointless...as its not a traffic offence, if they obey the rules of the road while entering/exiting the petrol station then they are not committing any offence! The only way to prevent it from happeneing is for the petrol station owners to close one of the entry/exit points which they wont do as it will effect their business so there is nothing anyone can do about it unless they come up with some way of preventing it, however wouldn't it be simpler to put up a set of bloody traffic lights that operate during peak hours, say 8am-6pm!

Pointless...as its not a traffic offence, if they obey the rules of the road while entering/exiting the petrol station then they are not committing any offence! The only way to prevent it from happeneing is for the petrol station owners to close one of the entry/exit points which they wont do as it will effect their business so there is nothing anyone can do about it unless they come up with some way of preventing it, however wouldn't it be simpler to put up a set of bloody traffic lights that operate during peak hours, say 8am-6pm!

the owner has a sign up saying no through road.

• Advertisement

So if the owner only allows cars into his property if they are customers then are the ones taking the shortcut breaking the actual law or only breaking his rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EasyE

<SNIP>

Lets get real here about the possible solutions... the Council are broke they are running on an ever extending overdraft so at best we might get a set of traffic lights at some stage in the future.

Lets also get real about the delay I passed through that junction ever day twice a day for 5 years I'd say max delay 5min.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

shame there is no room for a roud about, ide be a fan of them over traffic lights any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Thinfin

Completely agree with OP. They badly need traffic control. And yet they have lights in Killygordon up the road :confused:

So if the owner only allows cars into his property if they are customers then are the ones taking the shortcut breaking the actual law or only breaking his rules?

Theyre not breaking any law so long as they enter/exit the petrol station court legally. The owner can put up all the signs he wants but in reality he's powerless to do anything or even enforce his own rules.
    Thinfin wrote: »
    Completely agree with OP. They badly need traffic control. And yet they have lights in Killygordon up the road :confused:

Yeah two sets within 10 meters of each other in a village (village is actually over stating it, its a wide spot in the road with a few houses) is absolutely ridiculous when 5 miles down the road a major bottle neck is left with no traffic control!

The problem is that the council is run by a bunch of bureaucratic idiots that got jobs because of who they knew and not what they know. The council waste more money having ridiculous surveys done on roads/junctions than they actually do on the actual road traffic controls, then they need some planning office/engineer in some other part of the country/world to examine the survey results and draw up a report which none of them know how to read or can understand as theyre all a bunch of bureaucratic idiots that got the jobs because of who they knew and not what they know....

Theyre not breaking any law so long as they enter/exit the petrol station court legally. The owner can put up all the signs he wants but in reality he's powerless to do anything or even enforce his own rules.

If you had a house which had road frontage on 2 roads and therefore 2 entrances, how would you like someone driving through your property to skip traffic? Obeying the sign that the owner has put in place is just common decency and respect

If you had a house which had road frontage on 2 roads and therefore 2 entrances, how would you like someone driving through your property to skip traffic? Obeying the sign that the owner has put in place is just common decency and respect

I think maybe you should read the entire thread as you obviously just read my last post and assumed i was condoning the behaviour. Do you always jump in at the end of topics and add your tuppence worth?

I was simply pointing out that signs the owner puts up will not work as he is powerless to enforce them (unless he stands guard at the entrance all day) and people are not committing any traffic offence by using his forecourt to skip queues. Please keep up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Listen up lads. Can we just leave the issue of whether it's legal or not to drive through a forecourt and get back to discussing the topic. Thanks.

byte

Traffic lights are surely not that expensive? Heck, there's 2 schools a few hundred yards between each other in Donegal town, but they are getting a set of traffic lights each, where one would've done.

Maybe the fact the main junction is also close to the exit of the filling station and the turn off to mill brae is why there are no lights?

Funny enough, I thought traffic went smoother the time the street was forced one way due to pipe/cable laying a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement

According to todays Donegal News over €100,000 was made available a few years back from the NRA to help alleviate the problem at the corner but the council in their infinite (lack of) wisdom decided to spend it on footpaths and Meeting Street resurfacing or something like that instead. Who ever made that decision should be sacked. Money was specifically set aside for the junction more than likely on the basis of some report submitted by the council to the NRA and then someone decided to use it elsewhere!

Thousands has been wasted on surveys and BS over the years and now theyre at it again looking for ways to sort the problem which inevitably means more surveys and reports. It reports that traffic lights have been suggested but that local businesses have protested saying that they will cause traffic to back up and effect their businesses which IMO is complete bull****, if people are going to stop and go into a buisiness premises, traffic being backed up will have absolutely no bearing on that whatsoever and TBH i dont think traffic can get any more backed up than it already is.

Advertisement