Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McClays Corner Stranorlar

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I notice they have cables down at all the approach roads so another traffic survey seems to be under way.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I saw a snippet in the Donegal Times (Editor's Diary), where "the problem of the junction that causes the worst back-ups in the county is about to be solved. According to reports, traffic lights are, at last, to be placed on McClay's corner in Stranorlar."

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

byte wrote: »
    I saw a snippet in the Donegal Times (Editor's Diary), where "the problem of the junction that causes the worst back-ups in the county is about to be solved. According to reports, traffic lights are, at last, to be placed on McClay's corner in Stranorlar."
    That will be interesting.

On a side but associated note I was driving in from Kilross last Friday and was behind a lorry which, when approaching the junction (at the turn in where Foys shop was) he was straddling both traffic lanes and then decided to go left.

When he got as far as Reids he swung in through the forecourt and out the other end to turn right to go towards Ballybofey thus avoiding the little bit of waiting (as he thought) behind the few cars that were in the right hand lane.

I turned left on the Main Street just as he was about to pull out of the forecourt. He was a good bit out on the road and was expecting me to stop and let him out but the muffler was having none of it. I deliberately accidentally ;) stalled the car right in front of him and kept him there for another wee while. He wasnt happy :(

But to show there was no road rage or the likes on my part I saluted him by waving my fingers as I was driving off again.......something like this \ /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Have seen that a few times Muffler. I tend to go left then right and... Eh come out at the church on the main St I think, just before the bridge. Dunno if it saves anytime but I really can't stand sitting in traffic, stems from my time working in Dublin city centre :o 30 mins for 30 metres

Back on topic, does the traffic get bad enough to need traffic lights? Usually only 4-5 cars at most turning right when I'm there but that wouldn't be rush hour so it probably gets alot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

If they do go for lights, I hope they don't use the same people who designed and installed the system at Killygordon. So if you are reading this DCC, if you want someone to stop at a stop line, put the light adjacent to it, and NOT THIRTY METRES DOWN THE ROAD!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

muffler wrote: »
    That will be interesting.

On a side but associated note I was driving in from Kilross last Friday and was behind a lorry which, when approaching the junction (at the turn in where Foys shop was) he was straddling both traffic lanes and then decided to go left.

When he got as far as Reids he swung in through the forecourt and out the other end to turn right to go towards Ballybofey thus avoiding the little bit of waiting (as he thought) behind the few cars that were in the right hand lane.

I turned left on the Main Street just as he was about to pull out of the forecourt. He was a good bit out on the road and was expecting me to stop and let him out but the muffler was having none of it. I deliberately accidentally ;)stalled the car right in front of him and kept him there for another wee while. He wasnt happy :(

But to show there was no road rage or the likes on my part I saluted him by waving my fingers as I was driving off again.......something like this \ /

Disgraceful behaviour by all involved

yourpics wrote: »
    Disgraceful behaviour by all involved
    Thats the kind of response I expected from you.

Now then, back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

By stalling your car on the main road (as you said you did ) then you were impeding the traffic on the main road just to prove a point , no medals here I'm afraid, I think we should let the owners of the petrol station deal with their own abuses and not impede or endanger other road users in our heroics. I hate bad drivers and have seen this junction abuse many times , not only here but also at Kilross where some traffic will turn left to avoid the queue and then turn around and head towards Stranorlar again, I would have loved to have done what you did and applaud your intentions however misguided or testoserone, Patience my friend , just like when your stuck behind a cyclist or a tractor, take a breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

puffdragon wrote: »
    not only here but also at Kilross where some traffic will turn left to avoid the queue and then turn around and head towards Stranorlar again, I would have loved to have done what you did and applaud your intentions however misguided or testoserone, Patience my friend , just like when your stuck behind a cyclist or a tractor, take a breath.

Kilross is a ridiculous junction. The convoy road (R236) is a regional route, the Letterkenny > Ballybofey road (N13) is a National Route, yet traffic has to give way to traffic continuing onto a minor road resulting in major delays in the mornings/evenings....Only in Ireland!

A roundabout is required at that juntion badly.

Sorry for going Off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

muffler wrote: »
    Thats the kind of response I expected from you.

Now then, back on topic please.

lol, the ironing !:rolleyes:

Traffic lights are the least of what's needed.

That junction would've been solved years ago if it wasn't for the NIMBY-ism of the locals (and probably greed in some cases, holding out for more money from the CPO).

Their town is now doomed to be choked with traffic for the next 10 years I expect.

Small-town Ireland illustrated beautifully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Have the blue prints for the original bypass - date 1956 !!

Stanirish wrote: »

:eek: 1956 !!! Post it up if you can. Pleeeze ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Little did they know back in 1956, we'd have flying cars and people living on the moon before the bypass got built:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Ah so thats why they ripped up the railway line back then...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

why no roundabout.

there is a mini roundabout just outside Derry heading for Killea using far less space than is available at McClay's corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ftnbase

By stalling your car on the main road (as you said you did ) then you were impeding the traffic on the main road just to prove a point , no medals here I'm afraid, I think we should let the owners of the petrol station deal with their own abuses and not impede or endanger other road users in our heroics. I hate bad drivers and have seen this junction abuse many times , not only here but also at Kilross where some traffic will turn left to avoid the queue and then turn around and head towards Stranorlar again, I would have loved to have done what you did and applaud your intentions however misguided or testoserone, Patience my friend , just like when your stuck behind a cyclist or a tractor, take a breath.

I agree
    Always drive as if your child is in the other car.

ootbitb wrote: »
    why no roundabout.

there is a mini roundabout just outside Derry heading for Killea using far less space than is available at McClay's corner.

Trucks wouldnt be able to turn there if there was a physical roundabout and if they simply painted one of those white spots on the road it would be ignored like all the rest of them. They need lights or else toss McClays old store and make a proper roundabout (which wont happen) so its lights or nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

CJC999 wrote: »
    Trucks wouldnt be able to turn there if there was a physical roundabout and if they simply painted one of those white spots on the road it would be ignored like all the rest of them. They need lights or else toss McClays old store and make a proper roundabout (which wont happen) so its lights or nothing.

trucks ignore the roundabout at old Dunnes , Letterkenny, but this roundabout works well on an equally busy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Would have been more sensible not to have allowed the planning for the petrol station years ago and forward thinking would have earmarked that site for a proper setup. But that's local politics in Ireland, lack of planning and planning for those in the know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

<SNIP>

• Advertisement

<SNIP>

McClays corner is the topic. Can we stick to that please?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for the council to buy the old furniture/toy shop opposite the petrol station and demolish it to make room for a decent roundabout or is that innevitable.

Does anyone else think it would be a good idea for the council to buy the old furniture/toy shop opposite the petrol station and demolish it to make room for a decent roundabout or is that innevitable.
    Indeed. The idea crossed my mind a few times.

The property is quite valuable and i cant imagine the council getting sanction or having the money to buy it and on the other side McClays (or who ever owns the building) may not want to sell it.

A set of smart traffic lights and a yellow box is what is needed there.

Advertisement