Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Delay

Options
  • 10-08-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody else experiencing mad delays in getting a licence?

Almost two months later and I am still waiting for a licence for a 22A to come through. This possible three month wait for a licence is ridiculous (seeing as I already have another firearm licence).

Imagine taxing and insuring your car and then being told that it is possible that you mightn't be allowed to drive it for up to three months - crazy.

I just don't understand how it can take so long. I have a .22 rifle licence which was renewed just six months ago so I am on the Pulse system already. Obviously they don't think I am a criminal or a nutter because I've had a gun licence for the past 20 years.

I have done everything required such as provide proof of membership of a target club, bought the gun, improved security, installed a safe etc.

I just find it frustrating because a fair bit of cash has been forked out and my membership is ticking away unused while I wait for the Super to either go yes or no.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

I posted a similar thread a while ago.

I thought the MAX waiting period was 2 months, I ended up getting the cert after nearly 3 months.
    Make a call to the FO and see if he/she received the paperwork, I done this and she eventually found the paperwork on some lads desk.

Dont worry you'll get it shortly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

mac80 wrote: »
    I posted a similar thread a while ago.

I thought the MAX waiting period was 2 months, I ended up getting the cert after nearly 3 months.
    Make a call to the FO and see if he/she received the paperwork, I done this and she eventually found the paperwork on some lads desk.

Dont worry you'll get it shortly :)

I phoned the District Office about two weeks ago to see if there was anything that I could do to speed up the job and the girl on the other end of the phone said that the application was in the system, not decided upon yet but that she'd get him (The Super) to put it to the top of the pile. That was the last I heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Two things not helping you at the moment a, one would be holidays - things tend to go in drawers and not be looked at til after people holidays for fear of turning into work

The other is that it is a pistol - so malevolent and evil - which tends to make it get shuffled to the 'not today' pile quite a bit

Fear not - refusals tend to be a bit quicker

I was over 5 months waiting for the license for my browning buckmark and I already hold a license for a Glock 34 in 9mm

Bananaman wrote: »
    Two things not helping you at the moment a, one would be holidays - things tend to go in drawers and not be looked at til after people holidays for fear of turning into work

The other is that it is a pistol - so malevolent and evil - which tends to make it get shuffled to the 'not today' pile quite a bit

Fear not - refusals tend to be a bit quicker

I was over 5 months waiting for the license for my browning buckmark and I already hold a license for a Glock 34 in 9mm

I thought that if it went over three months, it was to be taken as a refusal?

In a strict interpretation yes - but you must have patience in these matters a, it often simply takes longer than three months

That 'clause' was initially intenxed to be the same as any other license - which was that after three months, if you have heard nothing, you can take it you are licensed - it was the window in which more info could be sought etc.

However, late drafts of the bill changed from granted to refused and here we are

Do not panic - just keep a record of who you spoke to and when - what you asked them and what they told you

it will come eventually - you've only been waiting two months - i had my security inspection (3rd time) at three months - met with the super (1st time) at 4 months - got the grant letter at 5 - import license applied for and still do not have the gun yet at 6

So patience is a virtue - go shoot some Sporter Benchrest with the rifle while you're waiting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

i bought a new shotgun 2 weeks ago got the licence changed over that night,and recieved the new licence yesterday in the post so not to bad
    :D

Spare a thought for the hundreds of CF Pistol owners who are still awaiting their licenses after over two years.

Spare a thought for the hundreds of CF Pistol owners who are still awaiting their licenses after over two years.

Some guys have had their CF Pistol licences renewed. I was in the club a few weeks ago and the three guys beside me were all shooting their 9mm pistols. Some Supers seem to be more inclined to issue them than others.

I was in a Firearms Dealer's premises last month and he had over 500 pistols in storage for people.

Another guy working in a Firearms Dealer's premisis has a 9mm that's in storage there because his licence hasn't been renewed yet and he is well pissed off cos he is selling 9mm ammo to guys who have been sorted out.

Crazy setup.

Please do not identify the location of anyone or anything in a public forum.

Nothing special about 9mm - it is just a low power calibre - although an inherently evil one from fluidic space - it is only one of many calibres suitable for CF Pistols - don't forget .25, .32, .38, .357, .357sig, 10mm, .40, .44, .45, etc, etc.

Very few have been issued their licenses (I was - and having attended most of the CF Pistol comps this year it is pretty obvious that very few more have).

The vast majority (Hundreds) have been unable to practice or compete with their firearms for over two years now. I was just pointing that out to show the degree of patience that some have been required to show - having been previously licensed and having paid for their equipment already - in light of your having had to wait only two months so far.

B'Man

PS: Supers do not issue CF Pistol licenses - the Commissioner does.

PPS: Not back seat modding with my initial line - just offering some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

BattleCorp hadn't walked up to rule five of the charter there B'man, the advice wasn't really necessary. And you know we'd have edited it out and pointed out rule five to him if he'd slipped.

Also, just for clarification (and I know you know this B'man, I'm clarifying for those few who would read here who might not be aware of it), the Commissioner is indeed the licencing authority for restricted firearms (of all kinds), but the function is delegated to Chief Superintendents in day-to-day practice.

• Advertisement

Please do not identify the location of anyone or anything in a public forum.

You are right, I don't have much to complain about compared to the CF guys sitting around twiddling their thumbs instead of being out there competing for the past few years.

You are safe enough, no sensitive info will be made public, I've more cop on than that. I was just emphasising your point about the ridiculous situation with CF licences not being renewed.

Advertisement