Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N13 roadworks again!

Options
  • 10-08-2011 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

And here we are again rolleyes.gif

The roadworks have started again, they have been doing surveys for a good few weeks now, and have started the piping, then they plan to join up the 2 stretches they done last year, from letterkenny side of the school to murry motors. I don't see why they didn't just do the whole thing when they were at it last year. They done the survey on the whole thing last year only to re-do it again ( I know because can see the road out my window, and drive it daily) ....

Always long story short the nice tailbacks have started already not quite at the 35 min level they were last year yet, but at 10 minutes its still a dam hinderance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Havent been out the derry road recently, where are they doing now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

CJC999 wrote: »
    Havent been out the derry road recently, where are they doing now?

Seemingly from magerabeg school to murry motors, started piping and clearing the side of the roads this week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I wish they'd do that straight from colm dillons to sharon glebe...its like a ploughed field and everytime they do their marvellous patchwork on it they make it worse!!!

I wish they'd do that straight from colm dillons to sharon glebe...its like a ploughed field and everytime they do their marvellous patchwork on it they make it worse!!!

Yeah ano its a balls isn't it. every year they seem to come along and put loose chippings on it... its needs dug up and retarred like the rest of the road, i didn't even think the road was that bad before the roadworks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I don't see why they didn't just do the whole thing when they were at it last year.

The NRA didn't have the money so they chose the worst stretches and surfaced them first.
    Always long story short the nice tailbacks have started already not quite at the 35 min level they were last year yet, but at 10 minutes its still a dam hinderance.

That was only for the two days that Stop/Go boards were being used for the culvert works - the rest of the work should be done whilst still maintaining two-way traffic flows (restricted to 60kph).
    Seemingly from magerabeg school to murry motors, started piping and clearing the side of the roads this week :(

That's Phase 1.
    I wish they'd do that straight from colm dillons to sharon glebe.

That's Phase 2 ;):D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »

That was only for the two days that Stop/Go boards were being used for the culvert works - the rest of the work should be done whilst still maintaining two-way traffic flows (restricted to 60kph).

Really 2 way traffic? I hope your right, any other time the major works have been done on this road they have used traffic light's!

Really 2 way traffic? I hope your right, any other time the major works have been done on this road they have used traffic light's!

They didn't use lights on the stretch from the Manor roundabout up the hill last year.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

They done the survey on the whole thing last year only to re-do it again

The council set it out and surveyed it last year so that they could design the new carriageway. It's the contractors that are setting it out and re-surveying it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Slim_Bob

Involver wrote: »
    It is no wonder you call yourself Homer-Simpson because you have about as much brains as the cartoon character in questions.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Charming chap. I banned him for a week after reading only the first line of his post but having time to read all of it he wont be back.....ever.

• Advertisement

.... it is ******* like you that have this country the way it is !

Well you've heard it here first folks, the country is F'd because of me, if anyone has any banks looking for money send them my way cos it's my fault...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well you've heard it here first folks, the country is F'd because of me, if anyone has any banks looking for money send them my way cos it's my fault...

lol...:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Home-wrecker :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Always did have my doubts about that Homer chap.

;)

Yeah whats the story with that road. They seem to be constantly digging it up at some point along its route. Are Donegal CoCo trying to spend the remander of this years budget again just incase they dont get as much funding next year?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

I have just read a number of Homer-Simpson's comments in relation to the N13 Pavement Strengthening Works at Manorcunningham. It is no wonder you call yourself Homer-Simpson because you have about as much brains as the cartoon character in questions.

You are a typical Council basher shouting your mouth off about everything from NRA funding to Traffic Management at Roadworks to Setting out and levelling. It is quite clear to me that you don't have a ****ing clue what you are talking about and what is worse you actually add to your ignorance by throwing in a few lies for good measure.

Believe me when I tell you that I do know what I am talking about in relation to the N13 Works, so let me fill you in on a few FACTS in relation to Pavement Strengthening.

Funding:

Donegal County Council is bottom of the NRA’s list when it comes to funding due to our geographic location and lack of strategic importance to the rest of the country. Typically the Council will get money late in the year because some other Counties cannot get it spent in time. We are therefore working with the scraps from the table in terms of funding and that is why roadworks are late in the year not for the bull**** reasons you came up with.

Speed Limit:

A Road Works ‘Speed Limit Order’ is applied for under the road traffic act to the NRA and Gardi to reduce the legal speed limit through road works from 100 kph to 60 kph. This was advertised in the Donegal News and Derry Journal last week, the regulatory speed limit signs will be erected at the start and end of the road works and the Gardi have the power to enforce this speed limit if they wish. The speed limit applies for the duration of the works.

Traffic Management:

Two-Way traffic was maintained through the N13 at Manor at all times last year for the duration of the works in two 3.5m wide lanes. You stated that traffic Lights were in operation as you seen it from your window, that is a blatant lie.

Setting out

The Council did not set out and level the same stretch of road two or three times, this year and last. Again you display your ignorance, I am not even going to get into the design process involved in Pavement Strengthening because I doubt if you would have the comprehension to understand but believe me the road will not be set out or levelled a single time more than it needs to be.

Other Statement

You stated that the same contractor carried out the works at Newtown & Manor last year (Whitemountain), you went on to explain how the contractor left
    Newtown to come and start at Manor. I honestly cannot believe the bull**** that come from you. For your info. The contracts at Manor and Newtown were two completely separate contracts mutually exclusive of each other. The main contractor in Newtown was Whitemountain and the main contractor in Manor was Northstone, therefore Whitemountain never carried out any work in Manor last year.

I suggest you get a new pair of glasses for looking out your window in Manor and get your ****ing facts straight before you start spreading bull**** all over this forum !!!!!!

By the way not one mention of how good a job the road turned out, it is **** like you that have this country the way it is !

coolstory.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'd imagine its a case of never being given an allocation to repave the entire road in one go, it cant be cheap with two/four wide lanes and a high quality pavement so they have to work with whatever money theyre given. Obviously there are other roads in more need of an upgrade but for probably the busiest road in the county some sections are in real need of a repair.

They do seem to be constantly working on it and you have to ask why the government dont just get it over and done with but at least its being worked on which is more than most roads in the country at the moment

I have just read a number of Homer-Simpson's comments in relation to the N13 Pavement Strengthening Works at Manorcunningham. It is no wonder you call yourself Homer-Simpson because you have about as much brains as the cartoon character in questions.

You are a typical Council basher shouting your mouth off about everything from NRA funding to Traffic Management at Roadworks to Setting out and levelling. It is quite clear to me that you don't have a ****ing clue what you are talking about and what is worse you actually add to your ignorance by throwing in a few lies for good measure.

Believe me when I tell you that I do know what I am talking about in relation to the N13 Works, so let me fill you in on a few FACTS in relation to Pavement Strengthening.

Funding:

Donegal County Council is bottom of the NRA’s list when it comes to funding due to our geographic location and lack of strategic importance to the rest of the country. Typically the Council will get money late in the year because some other Counties cannot get it spent in time. We are therefore working with the scraps from the table in terms of funding and that is why roadworks are late in the year not for the bull**** reasons you came up with.

Speed Limit:

A Road Works ‘Speed Limit Order’ is applied for under the road traffic act to the NRA and Gardi to reduce the legal speed limit through road works from 100 kph to 60 kph. This was advertised in the Donegal News and Derry Journal last week, the regulatory speed limit signs will be erected at the start and end of the road works and the Gardi have the power to enforce this speed limit if they wish. The speed limit applies for the duration of the works.

Traffic Management:

Two-Way traffic was maintained through the N13 at Manor at all times last year for the duration of the works in two 3.5m wide lanes. You stated that traffic Lights were in operation as you seen it from your window, that is a blatant lie.

Setting out

The Council did not set out and level the same stretch of road two or three times, this year and last. Again you display your ignorance, I am not even going to get into the design process involved in Pavement Strengthening because I doubt if you would have the comprehension to understand but believe me the road will not be set out or levelled a single time more than it needs to be.

Other Statement

You stated that the same contractor carried out the works at Newtown & Manor last year (Whitemountain), you went on to explain how the contractor left
    Newtown to come and start at Manor. I honestly cannot believe the bull**** that come from you. For your info. The contracts at Manor and Newtown were two completely separate contracts mutually exclusive of each other. The main contractor in Newtown was Whitemountain and the main contractor in Manor was Northstone, therefore Whitemountain never carried out any work in Manor last year.

I suggest you get a new pair of glasses for looking out your window in Manor and get your ****ing facts straight before you start spreading bull**** all over this forum !!!!!!

By the way not one mention of how good a job the road turned out, it is **** like you that have this country the way it is !

You obviously know your stuff...however, I feel that your rant ^^^ was somewhat misguided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Funding:

Speed Limit:

Traffic Management:

Setting out

Other Statement

Yeah that is correct that Northstone carried out the works at manor and whitemountain/lagans carried out the work near newtown. Also there were no traffic lights at Manor, it was a 2 way system. At newtown there was stop/go boards for a time but no traffic lights.
    The road turned out first class and once this years phases are complete it will be a mighty job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

So long as they don't drop the limit and keep it dropped for a few months after they're finished again! Idiotic having that limit when wee small back roads not wide enough for a horse and cart are 80.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    So long as they don't drop the limit and keep it dropped for a few months after they're finished again! Idiotic having that limit when wee small back roads not wide enough for a horse and cart are 80.

The reason the speed limit is lowered is in the interests of the safety of those working there. The reason the limit was in place for a prolonged period last year was to allow all works to be completed after the main surfacing ie fencing, safety barriers, side casting, etc

• Advertisement

yourpics wrote: »
    Yeah that is correct that Northstone carried out the works at manor and whitemountain/lagans carried out the work near newtown. Also there were no traffic lights at Manor, it was a 2 way system. At newtown there was stop/go boards for a time but no traffic lights.
    The road turned out first class and once this years phases are complete it will be a mighty job

There was lengthy stops on the manor works too. I ended up late for, therefore missing, a hospital appointment because of it. I also disticntly remember Q'in on the dual carrigeway on the way to price a job while working one day.

Saying there was no stop / go is just plain wrong!

There was lengthy stops on the manor works too. I ended up late for, therefore missing, a hospital appointment because of it. I also disticntly remember Q'in on the dual carrigeway on the way to price a job while working one day.

Saying there was no stop / go is just plain wrong!

Yes there was a stop/go in operation, just not lights. There was an extremely long delay one morning in particular due to a breakdown in comms between the flag men.

yourpics wrote: »

Good attitude. People complain about the state of the roads and then complain when they're being fixed.
    Idiotic having that limit when wee small back roads not wide enough for a horse and cart are 80.

It's for the workers safety. It's not idiotic at all.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Good attitude. People complain about the state of the roads and then complain when they're being fixed.

It's for the workers safety. It's not idiotic at all.

Yeah when there is workers, cones and just general work ongoing fair enough, it'd be stupid to blaze through that at 100kph. However the stretch from the manor roundabout towards manor was 60kph for months after. Idiotic.

Yeah when there is workers, cones and just general work ongoing fair enough, it'd be stupid to blaze through that at 100kph. However the stretch from the manor roundabout towards manor was 60kph for months after. Idiotic.

Possibly, maybe. I don't have all the facts to hand, therefore I'm not qualified to comment. I'm sure there was some reason for it...

Like I already mentioned there was ancillary works going on for a few months after the main works ie erecting safety barrier, side casting, lighting etc.
    The Donegal Co Co made good use of that speed limit order as they also carried out extensive hedge cutting near Newtown at the same time as the surfacing works.

Can't say I saw any changes after they had packed up and gone two or three weeks. I drive the road daily so I'd notice, and I was looking out for it because I wanted a reason. They did a good job in the end up, not that I had any complaints about the road beforehand.

They'd really want to work on sections of the Lifford road though. I presume thats the main route to Dublin so it ought to be a better road than it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I never thought the N13 was especially bad anyway, it seems like they're resurfacing a big chunk of it there at the moment. There are much worse roads around imo.

I see they cut the grass and hedges on the central median on the Dual Carraigeway (part of N13) today. Very fast work, started at around 10am, wrapped up at 2.30pm. 3 tractors and hedgecutters from Vance.

• Advertisement

The work seems to be going well. Looks like it's almost finished. The stretch from Colm Dillions is going to be a race track though...

Advertisement