Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The perfect brownies...

Options
  • 10-08-2011 11:32pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I decided to try make some brownies today. Marshmallow Malteaser brownies to be exact.

I just used some normal brownie mix, 2 mini packets of malteasers, loads of marshmallows and all the other ingredients that the recipe looked for. Except instead of one large egg I added two medium ones, 20ml more water, and a 30ml instead of 90ml veg oil because all I had was that spray stuff and I knew that there was extra egg. I also had to use a shallow enough tray as well.

Unfortunately they ended up nearly burning on the top and being far too gooey on the inside.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I could make them better next time, I'm trying to work out where exactly i went wrong! I'm pretty much a complete novice when it comes to cooking and baking!
    And I am aware that I shouldn't have changed the recipe but I was trying to make it all work with what I had and the extra ingredients!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

emmmm... maybe follow the recipe!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

To stop them burning on top put tinfoil on top before they start to burn. They'll still cook in the middle but the top will be protected.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    emmmm... maybe follow the recipe!:p

If I follow the recipe I can't add the malteasers or marshmallows! That's why i had to try some tweaking!

That and I had no large eggs, had been told to add extra water before for the malteasers and didn't want to add too much vegetable oil!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Follow the recipe as normal, then stir in the malteasers and marshmallows at the end, then cook as normal.

Does anyone except Bobblehead Panda Thanks a mill! have some more constructive advice than follow the recipe. The whole point is that I couldn't really! I have explained all that!

I'm only trying to work out what I need to add/have less of! What made it so gooey like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Baking, unlike cooking, is a science, there are chemical equations, precise measurements and timings, so really the best advice is normally to follow the recipe. Substituting ingredients for other kinda-almost-similar ingredients doesn't work the way it does in cooking. Sorry if that's not the advice you were looking for but it's the only advice I can think of, just buy the proper ingredients and enjoy good brownies.

Also I don't know how good Malteasers would be in brownies, maybe google recipes that do include them and use them recipes instead of messing with a different one? Oh and just make them from scratch with flour, eggs, etc, brownie mixes (or any prepackaged mix) are shite.

The extra oil made it gooey, 30ml instead of 9? And extra egg.

Acoshla wrote: »
    Baking, unlike cooking, is a science, there are chemical equations, precise measurements and timings, so really the best advice is normally to follow the recipe. Substituting ingredients for other kinda-almost-similar ingredients doesn't work the way it does in cooking. Sorry if that's not the advice you were looking for but it's the only advice I can think of, just buy the proper ingredients and enjoy good brownies.

Also I don't know how good Malteasers would be in brownies, maybe google recipes that do include them and use them recipes instead of messing with a different one? Oh and just make them from scratch with flour, eggs, etc, brownie mixes (or any prepackaged mix) are shite.

I didn't substitute anything. Everything I changed was from actual advice and was still the same ingredients.

And I've made Malteaser brownies before (the same way as these) and they are amazing!

What kind of things would make them gooey though? Too much water, too little egg. That's what I'm trying to work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If it isn't something to do with the recipe, and it could be, it might be because they weren't finished baking.

Acoshla wrote: »

The extra oil made it gooey, 30ml instead of 9? And extra egg.

It was 90ml and I added 30. Because of the extra egg and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

It was 90ml and I added 30. Because of the extra egg and water.

You did substitute two eggs for one plus some oil, it's incorrect to say you didn't substitute.
    But mainly I reckon you added far too many marshmallows - ever seen what happens to melted marshmallows? Goo! And lots of it.
    Try again, be pedantic, don't add the extra egg, use the right amount of fat and add only a few marshmalllows, or none at all, and if u are a novice baker you'd do well to take the friendly advice above, many of these folks are kickass professionals!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I know nothing about baking and this will probably reinforce that. Could the oven have been too hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

In Nigellas 'kitchen' book she has a recipe for everyday brownies and it's so simple, if you want to use the recipe follow it exactly but perhaps put in half the amount of chopped chocolate and add some mini marshmallows and slightly crushed maltesers to make it up. As in if you took out for example 100g of chopped chocolate, add 50g maltesers and 50g mini marshmallows.

She recommends using a throwaway foil tin. I find they work better with things like brownies, although I do need to invest in a brownie pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I use this Jamie Oliver recipe for brownies all the time, and they turn out perfect. I bake them in a silicone dish so they're really easy to take out. You can leave out some of the butter and sugar and they're still lovely.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/bloomin-brilliant-brownies

Advertisement