Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NQT looking (unsuccessfully) for work

• 10-08-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I just qualified this year and have applied for about 10 positions but have heard nothing back from all but 2 of these. The 2 that did reply said I was not shortlisted becuase I had no experience.

Am I just being ruled out for all becuase I have no PQ experience or could it also be because it's 15 years since I completed my Primary degree?

Any advice on how to get that first job - unfortunately I can't move to England as I have a young family but I don't mind travelling a bit within Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

To be honest with you, I would say the main reason you may not be shortlisted is because of the candidates you are up against.
    For example, I have a friend who is a qualified maths teacher with 7 years teaching experience. She lost her job in school this year due to cuts.
    There are so many qualified teachers with such experience applying for jobs that it is making it nearly impossible for NQTs to get a foot in the door.
    Schools have their pick of teachers.
    That is not to say that you won't get something and by something I mean, maybe a few hours in a school(like 6/7/8) or a bit of subbing. A lot of the time, the key is actually getting a foot in the door in some way!
    Hope this explains it somewhat. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Unfortunately competition is fierce now. I gather you're talking about Secondary teaching. I'm a Primary Teacher with 4 years teaching experience, have applied for over 130 jobs and only one interview so far. All you can do is keep trying and hope that your application stands out eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There just aren't many jobs out there at the moment. I have a friend who has 10 years teaching experience who lost her job at the end of the school year. She's applied for plenty of jobs, and got called for one interview. After the interview she was told the job was already gone (a whole different story). She hasn't heard anything back from anywhere else.

Advertisement