Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Employment-based" Green card question...

Options
  • 10-08-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

So according to what I have read, in order to be eligible for an Employment-based green cards you have to be qualified in some way. I was looking here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_residence_(United_States) and I was looking at the five types available.

I was wondering which of these categories would a BSc (Level 8 Honours) degree fall under?

Thanks for the help :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Pretty sure you would need at least a PhD for those visas, unless you can get a company to sponsor you on a J or HB1 visa and then work your way up to a greencard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

avalon68 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you would need at least a PhD for those visas, unless you can get a company to sponsor you on a J or HB1 visa and then work your way up to a greencard.

If you start on a H1B and your employer sponsors you you are getting an EB visa as described above. There are 2 reasons why people end up going H1B -> EB visa instead of straight to EB: 1. there is a backlog of a number of years for some EB categories, H1B bridges this gap; 2. employers sometimes want to see how the employee settles in before going the greencard route.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

If you start on a H1B and your employer sponsors you you are getting an EB visa as described above. There are 2 reasons why people end up going H1B -> EB visa instead of straight to EB: 1. there is a backlog of a number of years for some EB categories, H1B bridges this gap; 2. employers sometimes want to see how the employee settles in before going the greencard route.

Agreed, I am a H1b, but could have applied for a straight up GC (even with a bachelors). You would typically be EB3 with a bachelors. The processing time is 3-5 yrs according to my lawyer, so a H1b is usually the way to go followed by a GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Ok and would a masters degree be enough to secure the EB2, which has no backlog (apparently)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

A Masters in what?

• Advertisement

silja wrote: »
    A Masters in what?

uhh...Let's say Computer Science

Yes, but will it says no time it till takes quite a while to process...

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Yes, but will it says no time it till takes quite a while to process...
    I understand that but I mean with a master's you probably wouldn't be looking at the 6-9 years quoted for the EB3, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Im not sure its as simple as just having a masters.......Several friends of mine with PhDs have done it (not sure which type they ended up with), but in order to qualify they had to show excellence in the field ie publications in high ranked journals. In addition they had to provide references from academics in their field (about 10 I think), which stated that they were experts etc. And all of them had H1B visas first. It took them about 2 years from applying to getting the greencard. So many people have masters and phds now that I think you need to go above and beyond that really. The US doesnt really have a shortage of home grown graduates either.....getting sponsored by a company would probably be your best option if you can do that

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

Im not sure its as simple as just having a masters.......Several friends of mine with PhDs have done it (not sure which type they ended up with), but in order to qualify they had to show excellence in the field ie publications in high ranked journals. In addition they had to provide references from academics in their field (about 10 I think), which stated that they were experts etc. And all of them had H1B visas first. It took them about 2 years from applying to getting the greencard. So many people have masters and phds now that I think you need to go above and beyond that really. The US doesnt really have a shortage of home grown graduates either.....getting sponsored by a company would probably be your best option if you can do that

Any idea in what gerneral field the PhDs were in?

From what iv read a masters should be enough for a EB2. In reality this may be (probably is) different.

• Advertisement

The US doesnt really have a shortage of home grown graduates either.....getting sponsored by a company would probably be your best option if you can do that

Not true, Engineers are in high demand/short supply. As I am aware a masters in Engineering gets you EB2, according to my lawyer last time we spoke (2-3 years ago). With the green card cap eliminations for nations such as India and China, times etc are going to start changing.

Advertisement