Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get a puncture fixed North Dublin?

• 10-08-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend anywhere in North Dublin that is good to get a punctured tyre repaired? I live in Portmarnock so anywhere near by that I can drive to with the bike in the back :D I am clueless about bikes so I wouldnt even attempt to try fix it myself.

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Seriously, this is something you should learn to do yourself. What would you do if you get a puncture a few km away from home? Call a taxi?

It really is not difficult. Most cyclists don't even bother patching their punctured inner tubes nowadays - they replace it with a new one. A couple of tyre levers, a spare tube and a puncture repair kit should really be part of your cycling "kit"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    I am clueless about bikes so I wouldnt even attempt to try fix it myself.
    Any shop should do the trick but what damage could you possibly do if you tried it yourself? All you need is a tube, a couple of tyre levers and a bit of muscle. Look for instructional videos on Youtube if you feel the need.

Edit - dammit Beasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Forgot to say Im new to cycling have not been on a bike in years and most likely I will only be cycling to and from the shops not so far away and a leisurley cycle on a nice day. So not much point in me buying all those tools as Ill probably rarely use them. This is me putting to use a bike my sister bought a few years ago and rarely used that is now sitting in our shed :rolleyes:

So if someone is a little more helpful thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

If its urgent I'm sure the lads in Eurocycles in Airside would sort you out. This will give you the time to learn how to do it yourself, tons of vids on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

There's also a bike shop in Howth, near McGuirks Golf.

• Advertisement

Wibbles19 wrote: »
    If its urgent I'm sure the lads in Eurocycles in Airside would sort you out. This will give you the time to learn how to do it yourself, tons of vids on youtube.

Thanks Wibbles never even noticed there was one in airside. I just seen theres one in Howth so might try there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

Yes, that's right Bike Hut in Howth is another one, suppose it depends which end of portmarnock your in as to which is closer

There's also a bike shop in Howth, near McGuirks Golf.

Just googled it there, looks good thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There's also Duff Cycles in Donaghmede Shopping Centre or any branch of Halfords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    Forgot to say Im new to cycling have not been on a bike in years and most likely I will only be cycling to and from the shops not so far away and a leisurley cycle on a nice day. So not much point in me buying all those tools as Ill probably rarely use them. This is me putting to use a bike my sister bought a few years ago and rarely used that is now sitting in our shed :rolleyes:

So if someone is a little more helpful thanks :)

Here's a little more helpful... All those tools will cost less than getting someone else to fix your first puncture. You've already had the most helpful advice and you didn't realise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

Being both poverty-stricken and unbelievably tight-fisted I use the bike repair kit from the €2 shop. The levers are a bit bendy, though I can usually get the tyre off without too much trouble. The solution and patches seem to do fine too.
    I had a bike in the UK I got for 40 quid (ebay) and I patched the tube several times and it never sprung a leak in the same place twice. Eventually had to bin the whole kit at the airport when an eagle-eyed bomb-spotter noticed the tube of solution and fancied me for a terrorist.
    Fixing a puncture is one of those things like being able to change a light bulb, you really should know how to do it, just for your own ego :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

When you do go in to get the puncture repaired, ask them to teach you how to do it rather than just doing it for you. It'll probably cost a little more but will be a saving in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Also richies bike store in swords.

Youtube is your friend, thats how i learned once you do it a few times its simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Repair kit is only a few bob, but if it is a road bike then a new tube (€6) is better as it will hold the pressure - as everyone says, just practise changing it and check all around the tyre that your tube isn't sticking out before inflating.

When I first started cycling, once or twice I stopped for a quick break and changed a tube for no reason other than to practise on the side of a road in the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

aquanaut wrote: »
    When I first started cycling, once or twice I stopped for a quick break and changed a tube for no reason other than to practise on the side of a road in the rain.

Bet you were a boy scout too? :rolleyes:

RPL1 wrote: »
    Bet you were a boy scout too? :rolleyes:
    I think he's got some kind of water and rubber fetish ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Beasty wrote: »
    I think he's got some kind of water and rubber fetish ...

On Saturday evening I caught out in a feckin downpour and rode into a pothole disguised as a river on a hill near Killincarrig! Of course I got a puncture and fixing it really was a miserable experience ....... I just can't imagine doing that voluntarily!

No - just wanted to make sure I could do it, would rather have problems doing it by myself then get caught out on a club spin. It was during a cloud burst so I sheltered under some trees to wait it out - nothing better to do, anyway - point is that it's good to know that it's easy enough to do it when you have to - nothing worse that finding out that you have a hard time getting your tyre back onto the rim with bendy levers 40km into a spin!

EDIT - Yeah, I know you shouldn't need levers to get the tyre back on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Most shops will do it for you OP, but like it has been pointed out, a new tube or punture repair kit and a couple of leavers would be cheaper (used to use the spoon handles as a kid, surprised my ma didn't kill me :D). You say your only going to be using the bike to go to the shop, or if on a leisurly spin, what if you get a punture on one of those spins?

If you want to go down the repair shop route, get the mechanic to show you how to do it.

Thankfully I have only ever had to change my tube by the side of the road a few times, you will be surprised how quick it can be done if its pouring with rain and cars flying by at 80kph, once you do it once, you wont forget how do to it.

irish-stew wrote: »
    (used to use the spoon handles as a kid, surprised my ma didn't kill me :D)
    We certainly didn't have tyre levers when I was a kid - It was my dad that showed me how to use spoon handles to remove a tyre

• Advertisement

We certainly didn't have tyre levers when I was a kid - It was my dad that showed me how to use spoon handles to remove a tyre

Oddly it was my Day who showed me as well to use them. My mum didn't share his idea.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

EDIT - Yeah, I know you shouldn't need levers to get the tyre back on ;)

funny you should mention that...I got a puncture on my first ever cycle on my new bike :rolleyes:
    when i was changin the tube at home i was about 30 mins pulling and dragging the tyre to get it back on the rim...I eventually had to use the levers to get it back on. Is there a technique to this or is it the tyre/rim combo...or was i just making a balls of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

In our day we used four candles ...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Can't see a bicycle mechanic giving tutorials on mending punctures although they are a helpful lot and not too expensive for repairs.
    I'd find it hard to fix a puncture on a busy footpath in town (especially the rear wheel) but I'd try it at home. I have fixed punctures myself in the past but now I'd probably end up standing on my spectacles so I leave it with the bike shop these days, even if I have to walk a little with a flat tyre.

funny you should mention that...I got a puncture on my first ever cycle on my new bike :rolleyes:
    when i was changin the tube at home i was about 30 mins pulling and dragging the tyre to get it back on the rim...I eventually had to use the levers to get it back on. Is there a technique to this or is it the tyre/rim combo...or was i just making a balls of it?

Start at the valve with a thumb either side of (fingers on back) and move around both hands simultaneously pinching the tyre bead between thumb and fingers. when you get to the bottom where it starts getting suck, let the wheel fall away from you (in a controlled manner) so that the last bit of tyre is closest to you. Continue pinching till both hands meet, try and roll the tyre from the edge into the rim just to get that last bit. - The pinching part means that the tyre sits deeper into the rim making it a bit easier. You shouldn't need levers.

EDIT - forgot - put tube in at beginning slightly inflated makes it easier, always check inside rim SLOWLY for foreigners, when pinching the bead all the way round be careful no tube is trapped or you might nick it. At the end, they say washing up liquid helps, but I find a gob of mars bar filled spit just as handy (don't carry washing up liquid rouind with me!)

Thats the way I do it, but everyone is different (Kudos to Liam in Spokes who showed me how to do this the first time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Repair kit is only a few bob, but if it is a road bike then a new tube (€6) is better as it will hold the pressure
    Traditional patches stuck on properly with vulcanising solution will hold the pressure just as well, they are as strong as a new tube. The only reason people stick in a new tube is that it is quicker and for the cost of a tube they can't be bothered patching- or if you have a puncture at the valve that can't be patched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'll do it for a cup of tea* and a packet of jaffackes. On the northside. BYOT**.

*Very strongly brewed (lean on the bag), average milk, no sugar. Thanks.

**Bring your own tube.

blorg wrote: »
    Traditional patches stuck on properly with vulcanising solution will hold the pressure just as well, they are as strong as a new tube. The only reason people stick in a new tube is that it is quicker and for the cost of a tube they can't be bothered patching- or if you have a puncture at the valve that can't be patched.

Side of the road, its a new tube. Might patch it then when I get home.

carthoris wrote: »
    In our day we used four candles ...
    One of my all-time favourites ....

It's close enough to Friday;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TeachMealog

there is a social entrepreneur company http://www.rothar.ie/ who run classes in bike repair and upkeep it may be worth a punt..
    it featured on capital D or nationwide on rte a few months back

But a new tube is only a few bob anyways... good to have a spare one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TeachMealog

http://www.rothar.ie/ is in phibsboro by the way

Advertisement