Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeman Megamerge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Is this because - in your opinion - people feel that justice will be perverted by real time reportage or what?

I know this is pretty common worldwide, but never really understood the mindset behind it...

There is a fear in the mind of many judicial systems in relation to real time reporting and many other countries have no problem with it. I suppose you are correct in your idea that it it may pervert the course of justice. My own view is that the courts being public that should include in most cases live TV or internet reporting from inside the court room. But doubt it will happen here any time soon.

Maybe they are not as interested in you as you are in them;)

No just High Court judges are too busy to spend time on boards, lol.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

There is a fear in the mind of many judicial systems in relation to real time reporting and many other countries have no problem with it. I suppose you are correct in your idea that it it may pervert the course of justice. My own view is that the courts being public that should include in mosts cases live TV or internet reporting from inside the court room. But doubt it will happen here any time soon.

I don't actually agree that it will, FTR, just that that's what I've heard people say about e.g. the US Supreme Court - and it's well known antipathy towards cameras, recordings, etc.

Thanks!

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    I don't actually agree that it will, FTR, just that that's what I've heard people say about e.g. the US Supreme Court - and it's well known antipathy towards cameras, recordings, etc.

Thanks!

Yup I agree, as i stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Whatintheworld

Can I ask for views on the Affidavits in this case as reported, should there be latitude shown in relation to errors and omissions or should the Rules of the Superior Court be applied rigorously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Can I ask for views on the Affidavits in this case as reported, should there be latitude shown in relation to errors and omissions or should the Rules of the Superior Court be applied rigorously?

I wouldn't want to comment on specific errors for a hearing that is currently sub judice but I would say on a general point....

Errors happen all the time in affidavits. A spelling mistake here, a copy and paste error there. A corrective affidavit can always be filed clarifying the situation or as appears to have happened herre, evidence was clarified on cross examination. Such clarifications happen all the time and where they do not affect the substantive evidence, they are of no consequence.

e.g. I give evidence that I saw John hit Joe and say I was waiting on a taxi at the time. If it's clarified later that I was actually waiting on a bus, this does not affect my evidence in any material way...

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

An issue was raised about my live reporting apparently. I only got in near the end of the afternoon session but in deference to Ryan J I'm not going to do it anymore.

Will give end of day reports.

Judgment to be delivered on April 29th

I'm slightly confused how this has taken so long but, in a nutshell, what does this mean for Ben now. I have heard Bens supporters (yes, I know) claim the whole case has gone brilliantly but reading here and elsewhere would lead me to believe he really is in trouble. Forgive my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

regardless of the outcome the DDI and their cohorts will be claiming a victory of some sort. They have already been claiming that the case should have been thrown out already and that if it isn't in Ben's favour it is proof of systemic corruption !!!

The sooner ben is captain of his own ship the sooner he can make up the laws to suit himself !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

This post has been deleted.

don't you know all law is admiralty law !!! we are living in the oceans and the land beneath our feet are just a matrix type trick the overlords are playing on us !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

whippet wrote: »
    The sooner ben is captain of his own ship the sooner he can make up the laws to suit himself !

'Cos he hardly ever sinks at sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

Seems Jerry Beades is still doing his bit for the oppressed here
    Mr Beades said they were looking for a commitment from Knight Frank that it will not sell family homes, or any farm or home that is the subject of a dispute, prior to that dispute being resolved

Not entirely clearly written, but is he trying to prevent the sale of all family homes?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mrs vimes wrote: »
    Seems Jerry Beades is still doing his bit for the oppressed here

Not entirely clearly written, but is he trying to prevent the sale of all family homes?
    As I've previously posted here, I think the objective of this is to get the commitment from the auctioneers and then to manufacture a dispute. Possibly connect to this has been an alleged mass registration of lis pendens by the disciples of these charlatans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Robbo wrote: »
    Possibly connect to this has been an alleged mass registration of lis pendens by the disciples of these charlatans.

That's what I figured when I first heard of the commitments they were looking for. How deep is Jerry in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

jd wrote: »
    That's what I figured when I first heard of the commitments they were looking for. How deep is Jerry in for?

High court search shows at least four different financial institutions have issued proceedings for debt collection. Haven't searched the Circuit court but it was reported that two institutions sought the commercial court which requires that the claim is of at least €1,000,000.

Safe to say that it's likely that his debts are in the seven figures bracket....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

News from our "Sovereign Citizen" friends across the pond:
    Child star-turned-’sovereign citizen’ sentenced in tax scam following bizarre Jesus diatribe

A former child star-turned-“sovereign citizen” was sentenced to more than eight years in federal prison for scamming the Internal Revenue out of $36 million.
    Unger held a Bible as he delivered a rambling speech about his devotion to Jesus Christ, whose death he described in graphic detail, and called his criminal prosecution the best experience in his life.
    The self-proclaimed “sovereign citizen” recalled watching syndicated talk shows such as Jerry Springer and Maury Povich with his fellow inmates at the Rensselaer County jail and explained his introduction to the term “baby mamas.”
    Unger disseminated his anti-tax message on Internet broadcasts and during seminars teaching tax fraud schemes in Albany under the name “Dr. Sam Kennedy.”

He attracted FBI attention in 2010 after the sovereign citizens group he co-founded, Guardians of the Free Republic, sent letters warning each U.S. governor they could be “removed.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/22/child-star-turned-sovereign-citizen-sentenced-in-tax-scam-following-bizarre-jesus-diatribe/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The IRS in the states are worse than the boys that run Guantánamo. Was watching a documentary recently about DB cooper the sky jacker who stole $210,000 and jumped out of a plane. The F.B.I said if he came forward now he'd be ok cause of the statute of limitations. The IRS said he'd owe over $5m in taxes,charges and penalties on his ill gotten gains. 40+ years later and they'd nail him still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Fantastic quote from the land league.
    He said the turnout yesterday was phenomenal. "We expected a few hundred people but there were 350," he said.
    So. He got a few hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

ken wrote: »
    The IRS in the states are worse than the boys that run Guantánamo. Was watching a documentary recently about DB cooper the sky jacker who stole $210,000 and jumped out of a plane. The F.B.I said if he came forward now he'd be ok cause of the statute of limitations. The IRS said he'd owe over $5m in taxes,charges and penalties on his ill gotten gains. 40+ years later and they'd nail him still.

Do you think they should excuse the taxes owed because he did a runner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Beano wrote: »
    Do you think they should excuse the taxes owed because he did a runner?
    No, but if there's a statute of limitations preventing a prosection, then there's no conviction. What evidence is there that he has the money at all?

Interesting scenario to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Oh I don't think he should get off. I was just saying in relation to Milanpan!c's post you do not piss off the IRS in the states. You'd be less harassed if you took a shot at the president.

ken wrote: »
    Oh I don't think he should get off. I was just saying in relation to Milanpan!c's post you do not piss off the IRS in the states. You'd be less harassed if you took a shot at the president.

Saying that... The IRS is one of those bureaucratic orgs that can be easily "fought" with enough money/lawyers. All they REALLY want is their money. If you don't pay they'll use the weight of the US gov to track you down, and if you still refuse, they'll lock you up.

Unless you're a corporation. ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I was told that if you're to have an affidavit "expertly drafted" by a certain enterprise within spitting distance of the Four Courts, you'll be relieved of €300 (cash, of course). More substantial drafting is available for €1,000 and I believe "appearances" on your behalf run at €400 a day.

I was told that if you're to have an affidavit "expertly drafted" by a certain enterprise within spitting distance of the Four Courts, you'll be relieved of €300 (cash, of course). More substantial drafting is available for €1,000 and I believe "appearances" on your behalf run at €400 a day.

Excuse my ignorance but have the staff of this "enterprise" been called to the Bar or have they come from a bar?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

The hub?

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭BenRowe

Is the protest in Cork just freemanism or is there a real legal challenge to the water meters possible?

BenRowe wrote: »
    Is the protest in Cork just freemanism or is there a real legal challenge to the water meters possible?

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive ;)

There's very dubious aspects of how the water meter mess is being pursued, from a consumer standpoint, and I would assume at some point someone will try and challenge it in a meaningful way again, but... this sort of protest tends to bring out the loons in Ireland... and probably everywhere...

• Advertisement

BenRowe wrote: »

Anytime you hear gardaí being asked for oaths you know a freeman isn't too far away.

Advertisement