Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord entering room without permission

Options
  • 11-08-2011 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is renting a room in a house with other people. A few times the landlord has just entered the room while she was in bed, to tell her something or to let her know he would be showing people the room later, cos there are other similiar rooms in the house.

Surely he cannot do this, and as a tenant, surely she has rights on this. Can anyone clear this up? Also could anyone direct me to the actual law on this as well. She really wants to know what her rights are on this, because it has upset her a lot that he does this now and again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

What way is the house rented? - Does each tenant have their own lease or are all nthe tenants on the one lease? And I presume the landlord or a member of his family is not resident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

According to citizens information:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/landlords_rights_and_obligations.html

"You [Landlord] do not have the right to:

Enter your tenants’ home without permission".

But this brings up a separate issue - are you legally a tenant or are you a licensee? You are only a tenant if you have a direct agreement with the landlord rather than a direct agreement with someone who is renting off the landlord.

Regardless, just tell him to stop entering the room as it is unwelcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Even if your friend is renting as a licensee (i.e. renting a room in a house in which the landlord lives) rather than as a tenant they should still be afforded some privacy in the house (i.e. their room). The landlord entering somebody's room should only be done with consent - even if it's stated in the agreement between landlord and licensee - they definitely shouldn't enter the room while the licensee is in bed! That's just going too far!

If your friend is renting as a tenant (i.e. the landlord does not live there), then the landlord has no right to enter the house without prior permission/arrangement, unless in case of emergency.

ETA: And regardless of the living arrangements, the landlord should provide adequate notice that they will be showing the room - 24 hours would be the minimum acceptable notice. Also, is there any reason why her room is shown as opposed to the room that is actually for rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Tell your friend to stop being a doormat and stand up for herself. For your landlord (or anyone else) to barge into someone's bedroom uninvited is well out of order. You do not need legislation in order to use the phrase "get the f**k out of my room".

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Tell your friend to stop being a doormat and stand up for herself. For your landlord (or anyone else) to barge into someone's bedroom uninvited is well out of order. You do not need legislation in order to use the phrase "get the f**k out of my room".

I like you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement