Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss?

Options
  • 11-08-2011 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello folks. Some of the very hawk eyed of you may have seen me here a few times in the past year. For those who haven't - I'm moving to Australia in 2 weeks on a 457 sponsored visa to start a 4 year graduate engineering contract.

This thread has a dual purpose. Firstly it is so you Irish abroad can reminisce about the things you miss from Ireland. This could then help me to figure out what to pack/request to be sent over.

Also, any other general advice on what not to forget when packing is welcome (aside from the obvious passport, ticket, clothes, wallet etc.).

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think this thread was already done, may have been two separate threads, ie one about food people miss from home (superquinn sausages), and one about handy stuff to bring from home (an irish 4 plug extension lead)

Do a search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SuperSocks

I did a search on missing things before starting the thread, The topic your referring to was actually started about taytos, and briefly extended to sausages.Not exactly a comprehensive list, I reckon people miss more than that. Plus it was done 7 months ago so I'm sure there are new readers who might like to share.

Regarding the packing topic I admit I didn't search that, but only because I tacked the question on as I wrote the post.

If it is too arduous to type out "I miss lazy sarcastic Irish people and freddo bars", then I apologise for troubling you.

I was pointing out the other thread to help you, but given your attitude I really wish I hadn't of bothered tbh. Ironic that you called other lazy when you didn't bother to search.

BTW. They have Freddo bars here. Birdseye potato waffles are surprisingly (given some of the oher foods) absent from australian freezer aisles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SuperSocks

The "lazy sarcastic" bit was a referral to myself, although I must point out again that I did do a search and deemed that another thread wasn't a bad idea.

Apologies for the defensiveness, but I miss-took your post's meaning to be chastising rather than helpful, which was annoying after I had actually searched for the topic.

Thanks for the heads up on the Freddos. Waffles are gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I miss a decent media and sports commentary.

• Advertisement

SuperSocks wrote: »
    The "lazy sarcastic" bit was a referral to myself, although I must point out again that I did do a search and deemed that another thread wasn't a bad idea.

Apologies for the defensiveness, but I miss-took your post's meaning to be chastising rather than helpful, which was annoying after I had actually searched for the topic.

Thanks for the heads up on the Freddos. Waffles are gross.
    Most irish chocolate bars are availible, caburys are pretty universal. But they are all slightly different, even the freddos :( , I've been told that this is due to the higher average temp in australia that the chocolate includes a natural waxy compound so it melts at a higher temp. Could be boll0x tbh.

Top deck is available here but discontinued in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

After a few years you think that is what chocolate tastes like.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Mellor wrote: »
    Top deck is available here but discontinued in ireland.

Whats top deck?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

man1 wrote: »
    Whats top deck?

cadbury_top_deck.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

mandrake04 wrote: »
    cadbury_top_deck.jpg

They must have discontinued that in Ireland before the 1970's.:D Never remember that. Looks nice though:pac::pac::pac:

Golden crisp is my fav!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

When I lived abroad I missed Lyons teabags, Manhattan popcorn and cheapo crisps (Meanies, Banshee Bones etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

That waxy taste in cadbury chocolate is probably the vegetable oil or palm oil that they make it with here. Doesn't taste like chocolate at all. The cadbury snack bar is the one that my family at home always request. It is the one with the different fondant flavours. Whittakers from NZ is superior chocolate, made the way that cadbury used to make theirs once upon a time.

I have been here so long I miss nothing. Probably helps that I don't drink tea, teabags are the only thing that my OH misses.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gnilhsa

I miss suasages!! like sexy denny sausages that we get at home!! not very keen on the chicken and beef sausages!! i didnt even really like suasages much at home, but man i'd love some, with a heap of heinz (not watties, YUCK) tom sauce!! YUMYUM!!

Heinz are only a dollar at present .

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Try the british lolly shop when you get over for some home stuff, theres a few in Sydney not sure where else.
    Unfortunately no sausages tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

couple of very detailed threads about where to find decent pork sausages - there are lots of gourment butchers around and have decent ones.

Coles/Woolies are pure muck when it comes to pork sauages!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Food-proper Cadburys,Barrys Teabags, Chocolate Kimberleys, Tayto, pork sausages, waffles, bagels, brown bread. Got some of these posted over and discovered Paddy the Irish butcher in Kew, Melbourne who stocks alot of these. Havea great brown bread recipe which I make regularly. So actualy missing waffles the most!

Non-food-family and friends, good radio stations

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

Hello folks. Some of the very hawk eyed of you may have seen me here a few times in the past year. For those who haven't - I'm moving to Australia in 2 weeks on a 457 sponsored visa to start a 4 year graduate engineering contract.

Hi supersocks.

Totally not related to the original post, but if you dont mind me asking, how did you go about getting the job? I have never heard of anyone getting a job like that so if you could pass on any useful information either by posting it or by PM if that would suit better, then that would be great.

Im hoping to get back to Australia asap.

Thanks,
    Tom

Your asking supersocks how he got his foot in the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

gnilhsa wrote: »
    I miss suasages!! like sexy denny sausages that we get at home!! not very keen on the chicken and beef sausages!! i didnt even really like suasages much at home, but man i'd love some, with a heap of heinz (not watties, YUCK) tom sauce!! YUMYUM!!

The closest to Irish sausages i've found here are the Italian style pork sausages in Aldi. Never use to shop in Aldi back in Ire but find it great value here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Found these in David Jones in CBD

Not exactly sure how they are 'irish pork sausages' and also have a label saying 'local product' ;)

But they were pretty tasty!

Coles are selling a new brand of sausages also labeled Irish Poker sausages - avoid them they are muck

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Never knew there was an Irish butcher in Kew, must give that a try some day. Coles/Woolworths sell cumberland sausages made by the british sausage company and they are actually pretty nice $5.95 for a pack of 6.

I miss waffles, superquinn brown bread, nice sausages, white pudding. I think the chocolate here is fine but some friends think it's different. I love that they have top deck which they don't at home.

Can I ask how you got sponsored for a graduate engineering job from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

sonic.trip wrote: »
    Never knew there was an Irish butcher in Kew, must give that a try some day. Coles/Woolworths sell cumberland sausages made by the british sausage company and they are actually pretty nice $5.95 for a pack of 6.

I miss waffles, superquinn brown bread, nice sausages, white pudding. I think the chocolate here is fine but some friends think it's different. I love that they have top deck which they don't at home.

Can I ask how you got sponsored for a graduate engineering job from Ireland?

Paddy the Butcher (what else!) is on Cotham Street. Make their own Irish pork sausages, thick and thin. Have Irish bacon too, and black and white pudding. They also sell Barrys and Lyons teabags, club orange, chocolate kimberleys, Bisto gravy, Taytos, Snax, Chipstix etc. Wouldn't be doing my weekly shop there but nice every once in a while for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Pugins wrote: »
    Paddy the Butcher (what else!) is on Cotham Street. Make their own Irish pork sausages, thick and thin. Have Irish bacon too, and black and white pudding. They also sell Barrys and Lyons teabags, club orange, chocolate kimberleys, Bisto gravy, Taytos, Snax, Chipstix etc. Wouldn't be doing my weekly shop there but nice every once in a while for a treat.

Been here since January and never once heard anybody mention it, I'm so excited :) I can just hop on a 16 to Kew outside my door too! I assume it's expensive though from your comment about the weekly shop?!! I have the barrys teabags from home so might take a trip there this week for some sausages and white pudding :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I really want to enjoy my time here in NZ but I cant.
    I find myself spending my days balling my eyes out.
    I cry throughout the day and fall asleep at night eventually after I've worn myself out from crying.
    Why??? Why Christ? Why cant I get Irish sausages here??
    If there is a god, how could he let me suffer so greatly?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Looking to get into the CelticKoala shop in Brisbane before Christmas to get some fine saussies and White pudding for the big fryup,anyone tried their products?
    Expensive albeit!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 whosyour_daddy

This thread has a dual purpose. Firstly it is so you Irish abroad can reminisce about the things you miss from Ireland. This could then help me to figure out what to pack/request to be sent over.

Also, any other general advice on what not to forget when packing is welcome (aside from the obvious passport, ticket, clothes, wallet etc.).

Cheers!

A little off topic but how did you land a sponsored 4 year engineering contract in Oz as a graduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

The missus, Tayto Crisps, Proper pints of Carlsberg, proper burger and chips, taco chips.
    miss all them.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

I miss my girlfriend.

Don't forget to bring your girlfriend!!

Seriously though I don't miss anything in particular. My roommate used to buy Barry's tea for $20 a box in an expatriate shop which I always taught was mental.

People just let the sausages go & find something else! :)

Advertisement