Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about renting in phibsboro

Options
  • 11-08-2011 4:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey so I'm thinking of renting out a room in phibsboro on berkeley road close enough to the mater hospital. I'm just curious as to how dangerous it would be to live there as I'm a student and I will be walking home quite late night at times any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Dangerous LOL

you will be living Dublin not the Jungle

Its fine around there - never seen any trouble in all my years of living and drinking in that area

It's like any place, as long as your not an idiot you'll be fine.

My boyfriend used to have a flat in Phibsboro, and as a 18/19yo girl I never had any trouble walking to/from his place at night on my own, so you should be fine. It's actually a really nice place IMO. The only trouble was that between the hospital and the fire station, there used to be a few sirens at night, but I never found it a problem, nor did his housemate, but he said he found it slightly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

You'll be fine! If you'll have a car though, I'd consider another area, it can be a nightmare to get parking around there at times because of all the hospital staff and visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I lived in Phibsboro for about 3 years and never had any bother. Its a good place to live, so close to city etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Phibsboro's great, I'm from the area though don't live there anymore. Was just passing by earlier in the week and thought how nice it would be to move back, esp around Berkeley Rd/the Mater. If anything around there might be a bit quieter - kinda older population and it's not really residential around the hospital/church stretch, so I'd say it's pretty safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Phibsboro always gets very favourable reviews in the many quiries here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Im living in Phibsboro, one of the worst spots in it, cabra park, lived across from the fire station last year, really like the area, there will be lots and lots of students in and around the area and seeing as your one yourself i will assume you will be going to either dit or trinity, in which case your only a short walk from either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Phibsboro is a strange place. Have worked there for the last 13 years.

It is very much flat/apartment living. Nice neighbours and you are sorted.

Plenty to do, plenty of nightlife, places to eat and a friendly fire station and Garda station thrown in for good measure.

Plenty of 'unusual' people around though but that is what you get with lots of rental accomodation.

Like any part of town just keep your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

I live just off Berkeley Road and I can safely say I always feel safe walking around here - day and night. As others have mentioned, you should keep your wits about you, but you could do a lot worse than living in this area.

I lived in Rathmines and Ranelagh before and I actually way prefer living in Phibsboro as there's a real sense of community around here that I never found in the other neighbourhoods. Neighbours say hi to you on your street and people chat in the shops and things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kennyja

Thanks for all the replys, well my mind has been put to rest so looks like Ill have a lot of fun living there moving in next week fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

I come from Phibsborough ,was abroad and then returned to live there from 2000 to 2002 .Its a great area but i did have 3 motorcycles stolen there over the years .The basin water storage area and Royal canal park are a great amenity .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

Nice place. Only have to worry about the random problems you may encounter in most parts of Dublin. In terms of safety, the main worry would be where you are walking from. e.g. walking from town you may pass some slightly dodgy areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭iant

Hey, I live there at the moment and never had any bother. Theres actually a room going in mine if your interested? On nelson st Heres a map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=nelson+st+dublin&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=53.432436,114.257812&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=addr

Advertisement