Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move in Date - Campus Accommodation

Options
  • 11-08-2011 6:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering- when are we allowed to move our stuff into campus accommodation? I've got a room in Glenomena and my first day of lectures is Monday 12th September.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

You're free to move in any day from the 5th.
    Check in is from 8am to 8pm, and you have to go to Merville first to collect your access/student card and whatnot (I think). :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

According to an email I got, you can apply for 'early check-in' on the 3rd or 4th of September if you wish, but the actual moving in date is the 5th.

I also noticed that we have to get a new student card despite having a student card already - what a stupidly organised system. And everyone staying in Belfield has to go to Merville first, and then to their actual accommodation, meaning that queues will probably be huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Thanks a mill guys- looks like I can go straight from the airport!

Just one last question- would it be ok to come on the 6th instead, even if it's not the official arrival date?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Siuin wrote: »
    Thanks a mill guys- looks like I can go straight from the airport!

Just one last question- would it be ok to come on the 6th instead, even if it's not the official arrival date?

Yes, you'll be fine on the 6th! The 5th is just the earliest day that you can move in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Phew! Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

According to an email I got, you can apply for 'early check-in' on the 3rd or 4th of September if you wish, but the actual moving in date is the 5th.

I also noticed that we have to get a new student card despite having a student card already - what a stupidly organised system. And everyone staying in Belfield has to go to Merville first, and then to their actual accommodation, meaning that queues will probably be huge!

Early check in will help international students who may have earlier flights. Not a bad thing really. I'm sure you can check in early too, there'll be parents who can only drive their sons/daughters up on the weekend who'll apply for early check in.

The new system will be much better IMO. Plus before last year, everybody had to get new cards every year, so count your blessings! They are rolling out smart cards according to this:
    Your new student card will be used not just as ID, but also as your residence access card and smartcard purse for use in the main restaurant, laundry, and other outlets.
    http://www.ucd.ie/residences/newsevents/resnewstitle,99262,en.html

So the new card will be of benefit. Plus handing them out at the residences and the pre-printing of cards all help reduce waiting times. You really are the set of students with the least to complain about in terms of waiting times and whatnot! Not in my day I tell ya :pac::P

Ah yea maybe it's a good system, I'm only going into second year so all I've known is the 'new' student card system.

Does this mean we will have two student cards - one to get into our residence, and the other to get into the library and student bar etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Does this mean we will have two student cards - one to get into our residence, and the other to get into the library and student bar etc.?

No just the one AFAIK. That's why they are making you get a new card. It will be a one stop smart card. I'd have both liked and disliked that system. Carrying around 2 cards was a pain, but only caused half the damage if you lost it or locked it in your room (as I was known to do!).

Advertisement