Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus policy?

Options
  • 11-08-2011 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Aerlingus have a refund policy if their rate changes within a day or two of booking your flights?

I booked flights to Rome on Tuesday night - they had one left which came to 105euro pp (before handling charge etc). I booked 2 together and I think they were both at the higher price of 125 pp (before handling charge etc).

I had a look at their website just to see if they had gone up and they have gone down by 40euro! Two tickets are now at the cheaper price.
    Do aerlingus have a rates policy does anyone know?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No, why would they? Rates change all the time, comes with the territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Well I was just wondering as I know many companies now have a policy where if the rate changes or you find a better deal within a specified amount of time they offer you the difference back. But thank you so much for your helpful answer........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Airlines have never had any such policy. Their rates change day to day, depending on capacity and demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

and it all done by a computer program - not someone sitting at a desk.

Its optimized to fill the plane to capacity. - If it reckons there are only 10 seats left and 2 weeks to go, the price shoots up, but if there are 40 seats left, the price drops, then rises as they fill up and then possibly drop again with 2 days to go - or go to a huge figure.

Most airlines in the world use similar software.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

For anyone having a similar problem with aerlingus -
    They are actually really helpful- I could not praise their customer service more - they apologized and suggested I purchase 2 more tickets at the cheaper price. Once I had that done they gave me a full complete refund on the dearer ones.

So always worth phoning as they are actually helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jen_23 wrote: »
    They are actually really helpful- I could not praise their customer service more - they apologized and suggested I purchase 2 more tickets at the cheaper price. Once I had that done they gave me a full complete refund on the dearer ones.

lol ...

I don't believe you.

If an Airline gave refunds on tickets in this fashion they would go bust in no time, everyone would just buy a ticket and then get a refund later on.

Is this some sort of ploy to get everyone to ring Aer Lingus because the fare went down in price ?

Must remember that one for Car Rental, Flights, Hotels and Train :D:D:D:D

Even if you purchased a flexible ticket:
    http://www.aerlingus.com/help/help/feesfares/
    Full refund less 15% of flight fare and administration fee (applicable per person, per one-way flight) when cancelled prior to the flight scheduled departure time.

No point in buying Flex Fare tickets then !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

it doesn't sound right OP, even a death cert would have difficulty being refunded money

jen_23 wrote: »

Find this very hard to believe TBH. I had to practically draw blood from a stone to get any sort of a refund off AerLingus in December for cancelled flights due to snow, even though they were Flexi-fare tickets I had booked too. Did manage to get my money back 4months later, after I don't know how many emails and letters. Different scenario I know, but just cannot believe you.
    I know it's not the same thing, but when you purchase goods in general at a particular price (say furniture, clothing etc,) then see they're half price in the sale, then 75% off at the end of the sale, you can't go back looking for a refund when you've paid full price in the first place so that you can now purchase these goods at the new lower price, businesses could never function if that were the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I would guess the only reason you got a refund is because they charged you the higher price for both tickets, even though one of them should have been at a lower price. Regular tickets are always non-refundable, and they would never let you swap them back to buy at a cheaper price. The circumstances of how they charged you wrongly the first time must have played a part in this. I can see no other way that Aer Lingus would entertain a refund on them.

Just make sure you do actually get the refund too. Check your credit card statement as soon as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

as per jor_el - there was a anomaly in the booking in that one ticket should have been at €105 and the other at €125 and the op was charged €125 for both.

Grey area, but Aer Lingus do have a very good customer service record and in this situation they allowed for the tickets to be changed / refunded but because there was a probelm on the original booking. They will not refund you or allow you change for just the reason that the fare has changed.

Btw - I wonder if the OP had booked with another airline that has blue as their primary colour, what would the answer have been?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've had similar good experiences with Aer Lingus - I made a complete haymes when booking once, and when I rang them to fix it (fully expecting to be charged service fees), they fixed free of charge. Perhaps it depends who you speak to?

(BTW I am a top-level Gold Circle member, so maybe that helped).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dudara wrote: »
    (BTW I am a top-level Gold Circle member, so maybe that helped).

Is the Pope a Catholic?

The s/w that manages seats & fares to optimize profit is generically known as 'load balancing', virtually every airline in the world uses it. It's very expensive s/w but more than pays for itself.

Advertisement