Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors letters being received

Options
  • 11-08-2011 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I changed from eircom to vodafone a few months back and my last bill from eircom was not paid :( due to oversee on my part

I received a letter from a solicitor (E.G Hall & Company) going back about 6weeks now in which I replied and advised I was in no position to pay out the €93 euros in one go as I am currently a single parent on illness benefits (receiving €217pw) which goes on rent food etc which leaves approx €20 left a week which I offered to pay to them in 5 installments.

Heard nothing from the solicitors company until this morning (obviously my letter which was sent to them has been totally ignored)

Letter advised if I do not pay within 72hrs they will be referring my matter to a debt collection agency.

What can I do in this situation?

I have approached them offering to pay what I can afford - not like I dont want to pay, I do, just cant afford ta pay in one go.

Surely I done the right thing in contacting them...but was ignored.

What is my next step?

They cant get blood out of a stone :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Hi
    firstly dont worry. I also got one of these letters.They seem to be a generic letter they send out, dont bother replying to the letter, just ring eircom and talk to somebody there in the accounts dept ,Tell them you will pay them X amount over the next few months ...I found they will be happy to accept your arrangement.
    Lar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi,

I changed from eircom to vodafone a few months back and my last bill from eircom was not paid :( due to oversee on my part

I received a letter from a solicitor (E.G Hall & Company) going back about 6weeks now in which I replied and advised I was in no position to pay out the €93 euros in one go as I am currently a single parent on illness benefits (receiving €217pw) which goes on rent food etc which leaves approx €20 left a week which I offered to pay to them in 5 installments.

Heard nothing from the solicitors company until this morning (obviously my letter which was sent to them has been totally ignored)

Letter advised if I do not pay within 72hrs they will be referring my matter to a debt collection agency.

I have approached them offering to pay what I can afford - not like I dont want to pay, I do, just cant afford ta pay in one go.

What is my next step?

Hi kerchunky2010,

Can you PM me with your eircom account number and I will look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

What is my next step?

Hi kerchunky2010,

I got your details thanks, I should be back with an update in a few days.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kerchunky2010

Hi Mark,

Yet to hear back from you or Eircom in relation this matter and still receiving solicitor letters.

Will i contact the solicitors directly to arrange payment in installments or wait to hear back from you??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Why don't you just go ahead & pay what you can, when you can, directly to your Eircom account?

The bottom line is that the money is still owed by you to them.

Your Eircom account would still be open to accept payments, unless you have been informed that it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

send the soliticors a postal order, once it is recieved it changes the the amount owed, they then need to change the bill to a new charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

What makes you think you're a stone ?

;)

Seriously though, the money is owed by you & you're willing to pay it, I don't think there's going to be a problem.

Just a word of advice, a debt collection agency, no matter what they say or represent themselves as, have absolutely no more power than an ordinary individual or the company you owe money to.

They can't trespass on your property, confiscate anything in lieu of payment, affect your credit rating (only the original debtor can after a judgement granted in court), threaten you or do anything that your next door neighbour (for example) could.

And as for credit ratings being affected... Screw it. The entire country's credit rating is affected (literally). Pay them a fiver a week for 20 weeks or more if you can afford it, but don't stress about it.

Postal order advice above is partially incorrect. The PO would have to be credited against your account to do that & they may not accept it. Pay direct using online banking or through the post office/bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

You have to make a hard choice here. I'm sure things are tough but you need to prioritise and deep down a landline/broadband is not essential. Just get rid of the phone line and get a ready to go mobile phone. Then use the money you are spending on vodafone landline to pay off eircom. After a couple of months it will be paid off and you will have one less bill coming in. A pay as you go mobile means you are still contactable and if you really, really need broadband then go to your local library/college/hotel with free wifi OR at the most look for a pay as you go 3G dongle where you can control what you put on it at any given time.

Hi Mark,

Yet to hear back from you or Eircom in relation this matter and still receiving solicitor letters.

Will i contact the solicitors directly to arrange payment in installments or wait to hear back from you??

Thanks

Hi kerchunky2010

Apolgies, I have re-sent your mobile details and your should recieve a call this afternoon.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement