Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More oulfolk on t'internet

Options
  • 11-08-2011 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

Dublin City Council helping make it possible for more of us to go cybering n' stuff. I know that all of us here are au fait with the puters and things but it's good to see programes reaching out to bring our (age)peers on board.
    ICT training centre opens on Merrion Road
    Dublin City Council, in partnership with Age Action Ireland, has, for the last four years, provided IT training in 16 sheltered housing complexes as part of the ‘Getting Started Project’. These complexes were equipped with computers and broadband by the Community and Enterprise Section and the IS Department. Training classes are available in each complex for residents and members of the surrounding community. More than 1,000 people have received training in internet and e-mail skills from over 100 volunteers through this very successful partnership.
    Heskin Court, on the Merrion Road recently became the 17th and largest centre to be equipped and has the added advantage of the availability of WiFi for all residents. There has been an enthusiastic response to the classes, which have been organised by Robert Carroll of Age Action Ireland and Sheltered Housing Liaison Officer, Beatrice Casserly.
    Classes will resume in all complexes in September and new students are welcome, particularly in the Ballyfermot, Poppintree and Finglas areas.
    For more information on the Getting Started Project, contact Oliver Hickey, T. 222 5448.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Great idea, maybe we should send them a welcome or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Start cyber speed dating in the pension queue? Oulwans have to carry a laptop? Oulfellas have to remember a password? (Well us guys can not multitask so carrying the laptop as well could be tricky)

Overall though helping us oulfolks to use the net is a great idea. I applaud the council for giving it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

We are the lucky ones of our generation having had the interest in messing about with PC's (Acorns, Spectrums, Commadores, ZX81's et al) and learnt the basics. All of our peers who didn't get in on the first step languished behind and are now left in the (communications) dark. Nice to see them getting the offer of help.

I could really do with a few refresher courses myself. As I concentrate on one aspect of computing the rest of the field carries on in leaps and bounds and leaves me floundering. Thanks the stars for legacy systems and the need for PASCAL/COBOL programmers because if someone asked me to create a phone app I'd be totally flumexed as to how to go about it.

I can only imagine how difficult it is for those who have yet to master the rudiments of email/word prscessor/spreadsheets/internets.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

My husband has absolutely zero interest in technology, including computers, so he has no idea of how to do anything. A couple of days ago he saw me doing a digital jigsaw, which caught his attention. So I set up a 20 piece jigsaw and showed him how to use the mouse to move the pieces. Which he did with great muttering and swearing and accusing the mouse of being broken. He managed it eventually though, and went off convinced he was a computer genius! He hasn't been back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

My Mam and Dad are 78 and 80 respectively. My eldest teen 'teaches' her Grandad how to use his mobile phone. :) He was an aircraft engineer back in his hey day so catches on quickly... Mam recently has expressed an interest in computing. I must ask around her locality as to what course she might attend. She is sharp and still interested in everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

OldGoat wrote: »
    We are the lucky ones of our generation having had the interest in messing about with PC's (Acorns, Spectrums, Commadores, ZX81's et al) and learnt the basics. All of our peers who didn't get in on the first step languished behind and are now left in the (communications) dark. Nice to see them getting the offer of help.

I could really do with a few refresher courses myself. As I concentrate on one aspect of computing the rest of the field carries on in leaps and bounds and leaves me floundering. Thanks the stars for legacy systems and the need for PASCAL/COBOL programmers because if someone asked me to create a phone app I'd be totally flumexed as to how to go about it.

I can only imagine how difficult it is for those who have yet to master the rudiments of email/word prscessor/spreadsheets/internets.

Its very difficult :( I dont know how to use the computer or internets to their fullest. Im only learning bits and pieces by being on here and asking google.

looksee wrote: »
    My husband has absolutely zero interest in technology, including computers, so he has no idea of how to do anything. A couple of days ago he saw me doing a digital jigsaw, which caught his attention. So I set up a 20 piece jigsaw and showed him how to use the mouse to move the pieces. Which he did with great muttering and swearing and accusing the mouse of being broken. He managed it eventually though, and went off convinced he was a computer genius! He hasn't been back though.

Id love to know about the digital jigsaw :)

My hubby is jigsaw mad and used to do them in his workshop,but since his illness its not a good idea to be sitting out in the cold. Hes not good with the computer,only uses it to google car stuff and a couple of more things.
    Id love to show him he could still do his jigsaws :)

chucken1 wrote: »
    Id love to know about the digital jigsaw :)

My hubby is jigsaw mad and used to do them in his workshop,but since his illness its not a good idea to be sitting out in the cold. Hes not good with the computer,only uses it to google car stuff and a couple of more things.
    Id love to show him he could still do his jigsaws :)

Brilliant idea Chucken, perhaps he would get interested in other types of puzzles too. Then he will be on the computer all the time.

Hang on that would mean you wouldn't get a look in.:(

Keep him the heck away from that keyboard you hear? It's addictive.:D

LOL good luck with that hon I think he will enjoy it.

http://www.jigzone.com/

The jigsaws are quite small, but you can do them as a timed challenge.
    There is also a good assortment of different cut types, so you can do the same puzzle as a simple 20 piece standard or 48 piece with difficult cuts.

That is a wonderful site hon

• Advertisement

:D There is one of coloured pencils in the 'things' section which is a good starter one.

I just showed him the website..hes thrilled,thanks a million :D

...and Rube,we have 2 computers so no worries on that score! ;)

chucken1 wrote: »

...and Rube,we have 2 computers so no worries on that score! ;)

You posh little Oulwan you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Well done everyone! I am a volunteer "teacher" of di'internet for Age Action and have done a bit of training now. I'm an oul'wan myself. The students are really good. I get a great buzz when they send their first e-mail. There is a beginners and intermediate course. The intermediate course does a bit more on the social media thing.

As well as Dublin City Council, you can also contact Age Action directly yourself:

http://www.ageaction.ie/getting-started/getting-started-programme

The manuals are all on this website too, so you might be able to teach yourself.

I think the government are part-funding these programmes as they want us all to conduct our business on-line.

I only joined Facebook and Twitter myself there in March. I haven't asked my 25 yr old son to be his "friend", I'll let him have his privacy. He's good at keeping me up to date anyway.

Good for you Travel.

I could have done with some help with Faceache myself. I accepted nieces and nephews and cousins etc as friends and now I am swamped by kids I can't really understand.

I also have photos that seem to be stuck in my profile that I don't want but can't get rid of. Bloody things are like a disease.:D

Advertisement