Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming related things to do in New York?

• 11-08-2011 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I'm flying out on Tuesday and would love to know if there are any decent spots worth checking that you know about? :)

So far there's Barcade and the Nintendo store. Any other arcades? Or good retro game stores?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

The last arcade in China town.

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=3570

5443889714_deba4ae35e.jpg

good blog there with stuff to do, i was going to head over a few months back but just didnt have the sheckles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

:eek: exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks! :)

That bit about the 'dancing' chicken is so odd. I'm glad it's gone, but somehow sad I missed it.

"boss, the plane the plane"

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=4202

5958280564_dac6bf040b_z.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only managed to fit in the Nintendo store in terms of gaming misadventures. I bought a t-shirt just to say I'd been there: it's not amazing by any stretch, but worth a gander.

Nice to pop into Katz's deli if you're there. They do monster sandwiches (but I went for the pancakes), plus is the place Meg Ryan faked it in When Harry Met Sally ;)

Also discovered this place online: http://www.toytokyo.com/index.php/page/content/id/23 Not directly gaming, but equally geek-tastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

safetyboy wrote: »
    The last arcade in China town.

Chinatown Fair is closed now, it was a major hub for fighting games on the US east coast, a real shame.

There's a short documentary here about it, worth a watch.

• Advertisement

Master of the Universe

Nooo!! Was really looking forward to that :(

I was in Videogames New York the last time I was over there. Really great selection! Just the prices weren't really to my liking and I don't collect any US NTSC games really.

But yeah, good for a browse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

One thing id do in New York is take a walk in the park then stop for a game of Chess:D

New%20York%20chess%20players.JPG?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1251974638750

Master of the Universe

I think the results would be something like this..minus the Spanish of course!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah, double post

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sparks43 wrote: »
    One thing id do in New York is take a walk in the park then stop for a game of Chess:D

New%20York%20chess%20players.JPG?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1251974638750

Yeah, and keeping the retro gaming theme you could whip this bad boy out as well!
    super_mario_chess_game.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Lol something seriously wrong with Luigi taken the place of the Queen:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I can recommend the Nintendo store at Rockerfeller. Pick up a Mario energy drink there for a couple of dollars. I haven't really ventured anywhere else game/retro related in New York city itself.

There's a place I've been to in Yonkers but you'd want at the least a coach or taxi out there. Can't remember for the life of me the name of the gaf I went to out there though. You can get a coach from town that heads out to the shopping malls in New Jersey though, there's some stuff out that way if you're prepared to leave town.

Sorry if the above has been a bit vague!

Master of the Universe

I'll be staying in New Jersey for half of the trip, so will make sure to check out some malls. Has to be a Neo Geo MVS in one somewhere.

Also just realized I'd be able to head to Atlantic City. There has to be arcades there!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

have a go at Dave & Busters.

Its pretty much a grown up arcade with beer and food served also. we just stumbled across it. my wife wouldnt be a big computer r game person at all but we both really enjoyed it albeit after a few beers.

they have a mario kart 2 arcade setup with 12 driving cabs linked. great crack.

the usual skeetball; and basketball hoops games etc.

brilliant fun.

its next to ridleys believe it or not off time square.

Al.

Advertisement