Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar Alarm with Magnet home phone

Options
  • 11-08-2011 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I am in an estate where the only option for telephone/broadband is Magnet. I have a house alarm, but it is not monitored, and at present, I have no way of knowing if it is going off as there is no text dialler installed.
    According to a friend of mine who installs alarms, it is not possible to install a text dialler on anything other than an Eircom line. He said my only option is to get a GSM dialler which is about €300.00 and uses a prepaid sim card which would have to be topped up.
    Is this realistically my only option? I was hoping to find a more cost effective way of doing this.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can only text via Eircom or Vodafone lines.
    You can connect a voice dialler to any system that you can connect a normal phone to.
    GSM is not a secure option as it can be easily jammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Kgrant1

KoolKid wrote: »
    You can only text via Eircom or Vodafone lines.
    You can connect a voice dialler to any system that you can connect a normal phone to.
    GSM is not a secure option as it can be easily jammed.

What sort of cost is involved with a voice dialler. Is it something that I can connect myself or wouuld I need an alarm installer to look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Texts can be sent on any phone line with the right equipment.
    The galaxy g2 will send texts on any phone line as will texecom.
    The reason being you can change the formats etc to allow you to use other message service centers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Kgrant1 wrote: »
    What sort of cost is involved with a voice dialler. Is it something that I can connect myself or wouuld I need an alarm installer to look after it.
    There are some generic units from €70-€90.
    Very easy to self install.
    Look up the suppliers sticky for a source for these.

Jnealon wrote: »
    Texts can be sent on any phone line with the right equipment.
    The galaxy g2 will send texts on any phone line as will texecom.
    The reason being you can change the formats etc to allow you to use other message service centers

Is the Galaxy G2 a full alarm system? I already have an alarm, but am looking to get something that can be fitted retrospectively and cheaply

• Advertisement

Get yourself a texecom speech and text unit.
    The g2 reference was posted in relation to the misinformation given out in post#2

The g2 reference was posted in relation to the misinformation given out in post#2

thanks for the advice

Can you clarify who is billing you for these texts or how they are charged.
    All providers say they have no billing agreements with any message centers.

i dont have anyone billing me right now, i dont have any text device installed

i dont have anyone billing me right now, i dont have any text device installed

Hi kgrant1,
    I was asking who bills for these calls. I have contacted a number of providers on this & I have always got the same information.
    The message centre you use must have a billing agreement in place with the provider where the message originates. If a message centre receives a message from a number belonging to a provider where there is no billing in place then the centre will reject it as it has no one to bill for the text.
    Either way , unless you are using , text for remote access I would recommend voice over text every time. I voice dialler will look for confirmation a call has been received & understood. Texts just send & that's the end of if. I have often got texts many hours after they were send. I certainly wouldn't like my house to be broken into on new years eve..:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

I am in an estate where the only option for telephone/broadband is Magnet. I have a house alarm, but it is not monitored, and at present, I have no way of knowing if it is going off as there is no text dialler installed.
    According to a friend of mine who installs alarms, it is not possible to install a text dialler on anything other than an Eircom line. He said my only option is to get a GSM dialler which is about €300.00 and uses a prepaid sim card which would have to be topped up.
    Is this realistically my only option? I was hoping to find a more cost effective way of doing this.

That is not true, you can get Magnet to install an analog line from there system in your home to use with your alarm for voice messages. Just ring and ask :D

altor wrote: »
    That is not true, you can get Magnet to install an analog line from there system in your home to use with your alarm for voice messages. Just ring and ask :D

thanks for all of the advice, I will ring Magnet now and check it out

In relation to this I notice you still havn't answered my query.
    If you are going to accuse users here of posting misinformation please back up your remarks with facts. To simply say it can be done is not acceptable when making such allegatiuons.

Wouldn't be the first time wrong information was posted on here.
    I simply stated that I have a few jobs with this set up and it works fine.
    I have posted details of equipment that you can purchase to make it work

And I'm sure it won't be the last.
    I gather this method involves using private message centres using tap format. These possibly would not be regulated. I would imagine that's even less reliable than the Vodafone or Eircom center's. Perhaps that explains the reluctance to post any details.
    Give me voice, which looks for a confirmation of delivery, over text anyday.

Yes they are tap, baud rates vary and they are usually in the format of 8 bits, no parity bit, and 1 stop bit. Eircom etc use 7 bits, maybe 1 parity bit and 1 stop bit.
    Reliability of the servers I use would be good but some especially the vodafone UK servers have a lot of down time.

People like text, sure it's unreliable but voice diallers are a lot of hassle especially when customers forget how to acknowledge a call

There is certainly plenty we'll agree on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

thanks for all of the advice, I will ring Magnet now and check it out

Your welcome, hopefully it will help you get some sort of monitoring on your security system.

Advertisement