Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet for Triathlon

• 11-08-2011 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi guys can anyone reccommend a good helmet to use in Triathlons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

This one looks fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have one like this. It looks ridiculous. The prices have gone up since Sky started using them.

Lumen wrote: »
    I have one like this. It looks ridiculous. The prices have gone up since Sky started using them.

That one has to be faster since it costs more, so I'd go with the one Lumen recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

òr just use any road helmet not much in it apart from more money usually means less weight unless you really want one of the above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭johnnyb1

If theres not much between an ordinary helmet and an aero id go for the ordinary helmet as budget is restricted to around 100/150euro any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Aero is faster, but you want to be fast in the first place in order to justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It depends how serious you are and how good you are. An aero helmet IS faster, significantly: according to the graph linked here more so than an aero frame, deep section wheels or a rear disc. I picked one up second hand for €50, keep an eye out.

ITT-Time-Savings.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Do aero helmets offer any crash protection?
    This is not a helmet debate kickoff, I'm just curious if the aero helmet needs to be set up the same way as a 'normal' helmet with regards to whatever those helmet regulation/standards are.

Again, I need to stress this is NOT an invitation to start a helmet debate!
    (My opinion that a regular bike helmet offers very limited crash protection will not be mentioned again on this thread... in fact, forget you've just read this).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Unbelievable, a triathlon thread gaining traction in the Cycling forum. Mods please!

shaungil wrote: »
    Unbelievable, a triathlon thread gaining traction in the Cycling forum. Mods please!
    Yeah sorry bout that, I posted a rediculously expensive noddy hat with the hopes of endthreadding but Blorg jumped in constructively :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Blorg I'm not angry just disappointed.....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaungil wrote: »
    We welcome triathletes here - it's the best way to convert them to real cycling

However if it is causing such consternation amongst former triathletes (is it a craving shaungil? are you concerned you may be drawn back to the dark side?), I could amend the title to "pointy hats"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Doesn't they type you should use (spermy or roundy) depend on whether you look forward or look down during the TT?

Doesn't they type you should use (spermy or roundy) depend on whether you look forward or look down during the TT?
    Is that not more to do with skydiving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Triathlon without absurd costumes is like lemonparty without the old people.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Some shorter ones have appeared this year, although on the track for sprint racing they are now using "rounded" helmets, which I guess allow you to turn your head without interfering too much with airflows

casco-warp-ii-track-helmet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

yes that too. What i mean is... is there any point in having a pointy hat if you'll be cycling like this.....

notaero.jpg

That's probably how I'd be if I ever tried to go aero. I dunno how people can stay looking forward. Well I do. Felixibility innit? It was a figure of speech.

Advertisement