Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software/DB Issue - help needed

Options
  • 11-08-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently trying to install an old software package onto a windows 7 machine. The application is based on an SQL DB. The application will install and run ok when I use the domainname\administrator account.

But when I use another account (which is a local admin) on the same machine, the application throws up the following error when opening in MSAccess:

"The OpenForm action was canceled.

You used a method of the DoCmd object to carry out an action in Visual Basic, but then clicked cancel in a dialog box. For example, you used the Close method to close a changed form, then clicked Cancel in the dialog box that asks if you want to save changes you made to the form"

The company who designed this software for us originally have since gone out of business, but I have been assured by somebody familiar with the product that it does work on Windows 7 (also it is working correctly under Domain Admin account). I have tried it on Access 2003, 07, 10 but the same error occurs. The application using perfectly on Windows XP using Access 03 or 07.

Any idea what could be causing this error. I'm not a programmer so haven't tried looking at code and neither am I familiar with the error message. Could this problem be permissions based?

Any help appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

You can get a Windows XP virtual machine from the MS website and run it in Windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    The company who designed this software for us originally have since gone out of business, but I have been assured by somebody familiar with the product that it does work on Windows 7 (also it is working correctly under Domain Admin account). I have tried it on Access 2003, 07, 10 but the same error occurs. The application using perfectly on Windows XP using Access 03 or 07.

There is a world of difference in security between xp and win 7. The fact it runs under the domain admin account would suggest that there is issues with the security required to run the app. If the company that made the app for you have gone to the wall I hope your company had an escrow agreement for the source code. If you do then I'm sure you can find someone to help you out.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode that is what amen is on about...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Does the application install it's own local instance of SQL Server or connect to an existing central one? There's a good chance the non-administrator account doesn't have access to SQL which is causing the error. The way around this would be to use SQL Server Management Studio (you should be able to download the express version for free) to add it as a user to SQL Server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

stevenmu wrote: »
    Does the application install it's own local instance of SQL Server or connect to an existing central one? There's a good chance the non-administrator account doesn't have access to SQL which is causing the error. The way around this would be to use SQL Server Management Studio (you should be able to download the express version for free) to add it as a user to SQL Server.

Thanks for the replies lads.

- Thanks for the suggestion re the virtual machine but I'd rather if the end user didn't have to do that.

- The application connects to an exsiting central db server via ODBC connection.

The behavious is kind of funny:

There are two Domain Admin accounts - Domain\Admininstrator & Domain\myusername

If I install with my account it works ok for both me and the admin account but no one else

If I install with the Administrator account it will work only for the admin and no one else (not even my own username account)

If I install with a user account (local admin) it won't install properly. There is an error relating to dll's (but if I right click and run CMD as an administrator I can register them manually ok).

The .exe for the application itself resides on the server and they connect to it via a shortcut on the desktop.

So It's looking like it is a permissions based problem but I'm fairly stumped as to what it might be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That's a tricky one, it sounds like the installer might set something as it runs. One idea could be to give the other user local admin rights on the PC temporarily to allow the install to complete under their account, then see if they can run it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement