Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is a Gynecologist visit considered in term of health insurance?

Options
  • 11-08-2011 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi,

I see that health insurances pay back visits to GP, consultants,...., depending on the plan. Now, If my wife choses to visit the gynecologyst once per month, how is that visit considered, as a visit to a consultant? Is this covered at all in normal out-patient health insurance plans?

I haven't seen any health insurance plan specifying gynecologist cover, which for women is pretty important.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Visits to a gynecologist would be covered like other consultant visits, so whatever your insurer offers for consultant visits is applicable here.

FYI, most gynecologists are also obstetricians (doctors who deal with the delivery of babies). If the visits are regular check ups before a baby is born, then those visits are covered differently, usually as part of your plan's out-patient maternity benefit.

One small point of clarification in case you don't already know; your wife would need a referral from a GP or a hospital out-patient department before being able to see a consultant in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 julio_delg

Thanks,

So that means that as soon as we move to Ireland she has to visit a GP, and he will "prescribe" a number of anual checks? Or that everytime she "feels like" visiting the gynecologist she has to pass first through the GP (and its bill :()?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes, the GP has to refer you. I wanted to see a Gyn in a private clinic here and had to get my GP to refer me. The first time she charged me as part of another consult the 2nd time, she just sent the letter for me after I contacted her over the phone.

My other half just called up the consultant dermatologist a few years ago and went in to see him though.

Well, thanks a lot for the information.

I am sure now my wife will feel a lot more confident about the whole process. You know, every country kind of works in a different way, and thanks to you guys we are learning the ways of our new "home" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Well, welcome and make sure to invite us to the house warming :D.

If you want to know a bit more about health insurance in Ireland, there's a state agency called the Health Insurance Authority. They're one of the market regulators, and their website has some information about picking a health insurance plan, and what to expect, etc. It also has a very handy plan comparison tool, so you can look at a couple of plans side by side. The website is www.hia.ie.

• Advertisement

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Well, welcome and make sure to invite us to the house warming :D.

If you want to know a bit more about health insurance in Ireland, there's a state agency called the Health Insurance Authority. They're one of the market regulators, and their website has some information about picking a health insurance plan, and what to expect, etc. It also has a very handy plan comparison tool, so you can look at a couple of plans side by side. The website is www.hia.ie.

Thanks, in fact I've been using the tool today, trying to understand the system. To be honest me and my wife we are both in early 30s and never ever been hospitalized, so I am tempted to take a plan including only out-patient stuff.

Where we come from the system is totally different (and compulsory) and it takes a while to trasnlate the concepts :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

julio_delg wrote: »
    Thanks,

So that means that as soon as we move to Ireland she has to visit a GP, and he will "prescribe" a number of anual checks? Or that everytime she "feels like" visiting the gynecologist she has to pass first through the GP (and its bill :()?

Many thanks.

not sure where you are coming from, but please don't think that the system here is anything like the system on the continent in terms of regular gyno checks. They do not exist. Usually, you will only be referred to a consultant IF you suspect a problem. It's not like you rock up every 6 months for a regular check up. Waiting times can also be very long.

Just to make it clear - I'm 6 months pregnant, and have not had any physical 'hands-on' checks here AT ALL (and was met with a baffled look when I asked for it since I thought it would be normal). Previously, any 'checks' required for a pill prescription were done by my GP - and again, no internal checks etc, just a quick breast check. Nothing else. You are entitled to a smear test every 3 years (I think) when you're between 25 and 54 (again, must check exact dates). Bit of a joke when you used to get them every 6 months, but better than nothing I guess.

For peace of mind, I usually fly home once a year for a proper gyno check - something you should consider if feasible for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

You can buy a plan that will give some money back for consultants visits with VHI or Aviva without having to have inpatient cover. You may consider a plan that covers inpatient cover. You will most likely be subject to waiting periods. Have a gander on the hia website for info on waiting periods. If you do visit the gynae regularly you may find that the complete cost of the policy, both in and outpatient would be covered in refunds for consultant visits. Some policies offer €100 back per visit.

Advertisement