Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best old mans pub in Wexford Town centre?

Options
  • 11-08-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Any tips for nice old fashioned grubby old mens pubs in Wexford Town centre? No chrome or cocktails please!

Also, is there any indie clubs/pubs of the non meat market style?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

get into macken's as the locals call it in the bullring...or its known as "the cape" ...there is a big sign for an undertakers over the bar as well...dead centre of town ...a mix of people but mostly older people... good crack, conversation and music at weekends... nice windows looking out on the the main street or tables and chairs outside... none of that chrome flashy lights business.

also you can try mary's bar up by the art centre... a small place but full of character and characters for an old skool irish pub with no hd tv's and alot of good conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

i was in "Marys Bar" recently, just up from the bullring, near the arts centre, doesnt get any "older man" than that

sorry forgot to add... you should check out sky and the ground for some nice foreign beers, indie crowd with good guitar music every weekend...really a great pub! you could stay in there all night...few different sections to it and guaranteed a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Agree to the above, or the Sky & the Ground, which usually has a good atmosphere but also may have a tv. No chrome or cocktails though

marys bar is a right spot! always guaranteed laughs up there let me tell ya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Spins wrote: »
    Any tips for nice old fashioned grubby old mens pubs in Wexford Town centre? No chrome or cocktails please!

Also, is there any indie clubs/pubs of the non meat market style?

Which would you want to be grubby, the pub or the old men? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Thanks everyone, great stuff, looking forward to a great night in Wexford.

tell ya what spins you can also try "bugler doyles" on main street as well .. thats down by the sky and the ground as well...south main street. might be worth a gander.

Thanks WexfordWarrior. One last thing, can't find Mackens or Marys on Google earth, you don't have a Street name for each do you? We're staying in Whites hotel, is it anywhere near there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Both are within a 2 minute walk of Whites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Spins wrote: »
    Thanks WexfordWarrior. One last thing, can't find Mackens or Marys on Google earth, you don't have a Street name for each do you? We're staying in Whites hotel, is it anywhere near there?

Mackens aka Con Makens aka The Cape aka The Cape of Good Hope aka the Oldest Pub in Wexford is in The Bullring and Marys Bar is in Johns Gate Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Anybody remember the Crown Bar in Monck Street in its original incarnation in the late 1970s? That was a real old man's pub. The gents was outside, across a yard and the latrine was a white washed wall with nasturtiums hanging down it. The sit-down toilet had squares of a Sunday tabloid hanging on a string instead of loo paper. Part of the tiny front bar still exists in the large watering hole that is the Crown today but gone is the wonderful character of the place, the locked back bar which Aidan Kelly would open to show select visitors his collection of guns and republican memorabilia - if he took a liking to you, you might even be asked to sign the visitors book. You tell young people today...:D

spins...mackens is two minutes around the corner to your left as you walk out of whites front doors... marys bar is past the roundabout , past the art centre and to the right on the hill...literally 30seconds away from you...

also you could try "chaz bar" on the quay who have good music every night and a mix between young and old in there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 welshmisfit

Loving this thread! :D My sis and I are coming from Wales to Wexford on the 19th August for 2 nights and we were looking for some traditional Irish pubs rather than clubs/bars. Can't wait to sit down with the locals for a chat and listen to some traditional Irish music! We are celebrating my 40th birthday so it might be messy! lol :D

great stuff welshmisfitt!!! for trad sessions try T-MORRIS on monck street, the centenery stores do a trad session on sunday mornings which is nice... there is also a trad trail ongoing in the town at the moment so its one pub to the other all week long.

heres a link to the pubs night and times where the trad trail is on :

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Arts-Culture-Heritage/wexford-trad-music-trail/82740

hope you enjoy !

Thanks for the tips everyone.
    We had some craic in Wexford, great town, lovely people.
    Marys Bar was the highlight of the weekend though, crazy little pub!!!
    Thanks again!

Thanks Wexford Warrior! Am so looking forward to coming over. Been desperate to visit for years but never got round to it. We always try and get to Cardiff for the Wales v Ireland rugby matches and we have an absolute ball with the Irish peeps. The banter is brilliant! :D I have Irish blood in me on my dad's side, so it will be lovely to come over and see where my ancestors come from! :)
    Glad you had a nice time Spins, will definitely be checking out Mary's Bar! :D

no probs welshy. hope you all have a great night and plenty of the old craic agus ceol.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Allways a great night in wexford when theres a few welsh people about,

Murtinho wrote: »
    Allways a great night in wexford when theres a few welsh people about,

I shall try my best not to let the side down! lol :D

• Advertisement

oh yeah love the bit of llandudno accent ! the htv cymru wales !

Merthyr Tydfil ...abergele... pontypridd, pontefract... bring em all on !! :) hahaha

and of course we cant forget about the legendary Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyllllantysiliogogogoch what a place AND name !

get stuck right in ! :)

spins... marys bar is some place for meeting people... every time i have been in that place i have fell out the door laughing at what has gone on in there talking to people and having the craic... youd meet some characters in there too...

I don't have quite the same accent as the Pontypridd area I'm afraid. I'm a Carmarthenshire gal, which probably makes me sound even more Welsh, although many people tell me I sound posh Welsh :rolleyes: Not sure how that works out to be honest. I always think we sound thick! :eek:
    The Irish accent on the other hand is to die for! I could listen to you talking all day!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

The Irish accent on the other hand is to die for! I could listen to you talking all day!! :o

Looking for a date? I'll show you the world Welshmisfit! From Marys Bar to Bugler Doyles! :D

griffin get off...looks like its down to me and you vying for welshmisfits attention...oh and maybe judgementday as well .. he was in quickly commenting on how nice the welsh accents were...

welsh misfit we will all meet you by the premier on the main street..its the local chipper...ill have a rissole waiting for ya....

i dont think the others could beat that ! :)

griffin get off...looks like its down to me and you vying for welshmisfits attention...oh and maybe judgementday as well .. he was in quickly commenting on how nice the welsh accents were...

welsh misfit we will all meet you by the premier on the main street..its the local chipper...ill have a rissole waiting for ya....

i dont think the others could beat that ! :)

Ah damn you WexfordWarrior. A rissole is a hard one to beat. I'll show her a fight in Harveys Field (do they exist anymore?) or bring her drinking flagons on the quay!

...always was a classy guy me. ;)

its a tough one but i just remembered there is two posh welshy's coming over! maybe we can go 50-50 :)

and were talking like the hallowed welsh ones are'nt even here :D

Lol@ you two! The rissole is awfully tempting, I am very partial to one after a night on the tiles. I once asked for one in Blackpool and they had no idea what I was talking about! Not sure if that was because they don't have rissoles in England or whether they just couldn't understand my accent! :D:rolleyes: And a guy who offers a lady a drink in this day and age, let alone a flagon of the stuff? Wow! lol As a single lady, I would be well up for meeting you both but my sis, being happily married, would kill me!

I would be well up for meeting you both but my sis, being happily married, would kill me!

Right Wexford Warrior, there is only one on the market. Lets have ya! :cool:

• Advertisement

You know it's my 40th birthday that we're celebrating dontcha? I'm probably waaaay older than both of you! :rolleyes:

Advertisement