Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laurel and Ivy

Options
  • 11-08-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I recently planted some Laurel hedging and I was told to maybe put some manure on them in October.
    As you will probably guess, I'm new to this gardening lark :), but does it matter what kind of manure? If I can't source some manure is there a good alternative that I could get from a garden centre?

Also planted some Ivy to climb a wall and it's growing nicely, just wondering should I also feed them with manure or substitute in October?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I had several laurel plants nearly die on me (frosts this year didnt help i think) but making the soil more acidic with the iron salt powder seems to have saved most of them, I think manure does something similar lowering the alkalinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think it is necessary to feed ivy, it is well able to look after itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

I recently planted some Laurel hedging and I was told to maybe put some manure on them in October.
    As you will probably guess, I'm new to this gardening lark :), but does it matter what kind of manure? If I can't source some manure is there a good alternative that I could get from a garden centre?

Also planted some Ivy to climb a wall and it's growing nicely, just wondering should I also feed them with manure or substitute in October?

Thank you
    Hi Hunter Mahan,
    The usual procedure with a new hedge would be to keep it watered well while its is establishing, a seep hose can be a great help here as it will save you time and labour. A top dress of any general purpose manure/feed will suffice any time from now right into winter. Ivy as a rule will make its own way, but a feed will do it no harm whatsoever. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Is it possible to grow Ivy from clippings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

zipzoc wrote: »
    Is it possible to grow Ivy from clippings?

It should be, I've sometimes missed some clippings on the ground when I've trimmed my ivy and it has started to root in the soil by the time I've noticed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Thanks Irushe. I'll give it a try so.

Advertisement