Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

Options
  • 11-08-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭

A nice shiny new thread for all news, discussion and results from the 2011 edition of the biggest championships of our sport. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Pherekydes wrote: »
    A nice shiny new thread for all news, discussion and results from the 2011 edition of the biggest championships of our sport. ;)

Think this could be a shiny new thread which deserves to replace the Outdoor Sticky considering domestic season is over at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Taking the week off work for this and planning on watching every single race :o which will involve some late nights! No other sport comes close imo.

A few crackers;

Womens 400m; Felix vs Richards-Ross and possibly Kapachinskaya, Russian nationals form rarely stands up in the big champs though. I'd have to give Richards the slight nod being the defending champ and she will be more determined than the others after what she's gone through the last 2 years.
    Mens 800m; Rudisha vs Kaki. Rudisha had the edge in London but championship finals are unpredictable and i wouldnt be surprised to see the result reversed.
    Mens 110m hurdles; Oliver looked imperious early on but Robles has taken over at the top now. And what about Xiang, toughest race of all to call.
    Mens 100m; by no means a walkover for Bolt. he hasnt been on top form since Berlin '09 and is as beatable imo. If Powell runs his best race i can see a huge upset.

Taking the week off work for this and planning on watching every single race :o which will involve some late nights! No other sport comes close imo.

A few crackers;

Womens 400m; Felix vs Richards-Ross and possibly Kapachinskaya, Russian nationals form rarely stands up in the big champs though. I'd have to give Richards the slight nod being the defending champ and she will be more determined than the others after what she's gone through the last 2 years.
    Mens 800m; Rudisha vs Kaki. Rudisha had the edge in London but championship finals are unpredictable and i wouldnt be surprised to see the result reversed.
    Mens 110m hurdles; Oliver looked imperious early on but Robles has taken over at the top now. And what about Xiang, toughest race of all to call.
    Mens 100m; by no means a walkover for Bolt. he hasnt been on top form since Berlin '09 and is as beatable imo. If Powell runs his best race i can see a huge upset.

Dont forget Richardson who has scalped Oliver at the last two diamond league meets. Has the capibility of going sub 13 after running new PB into a -.06 headwind. To me i think this could be one of the most exciting races of the who championship

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

For me, Amantle Montsho is joint favourite with Felix, but Richards returning to form just in time augurs well for a great race.

Just to be contrary, I'm tipping Liu to win the Highs, though Robles is obviously the bookies' fave.

In the 100m, Bolt doesn't look his best, while Powell is prone to choking. Look to Yohan Blake to provide the upset of the championships.

Look for Christophe Lemaitre to medal at 200m.

I know field or multi events don't get much of a look in, but one of the most intriguing events in Daegu is the Decathlon, with Ashton Eaton and Trey Hardee going head-to-head, with the Cuban kid waiting to take advantage of any slip-ups.

Pherekydes wrote: »

I know field or multi events don't get much of a look in, but one of the most intriguing events in Daegu is the Decathlon, with Ashton Eaton and Trey Hardee going head-to-head, with the Cuban kid waiting to take advantage of any slip-ups.

Brian Clay has also been added to the mix. Meaning you have the US team of NCAA champion (and WR indoor Heptathlon holder) World Champion and Olympic Champion all competing for US. I am going out on a limp but a US clean sweep is very possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Planning to take the week off work to watch this too. Haven't worked out what the sleeping pattern will be yet, looks like there's a lot of sessions in the wee small hours, then more first thing in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

anyone reckon ireland are in with a chance of getting a medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

pa4 wrote: »
    anyone reckon ireland are in with a chance of getting a medal?

Slim to none, IMO. The best hopes, as before, are probably in the Walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Women's High Jump and Pole Vault should be keenly contested. On current form, one can't assume Vlasic and Isinbayeva to claim gold. There could be a surprise in one if not both events.

Men's 10,000m should be good. Farah looks in great shape to win it, but plenty of things can go wrong in a championship race like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

wgtomblin wrote: »
    Slim to none, IMO. The best hopes, as before, are probably in the Walk.

Chances are we wont get a medal but I certainly wouln't write off Derval, Olive or Rob. All 3 have the potential to medal on their day.

I'm getting excited about these championships now. I'm heading over for them and have tickets to all 8 evening sessions and 2 of the 6 morning sessions.

I've been a bit out of the loop with regards the Diamond League etc as I've been travelling Oz, and have had no internet of late, so I'll have to do a bit more homework before getting to Daegu.

• Advertisement

Irelands Team for worlds

Jason Smyth (City of Derry) 100m
    Paul Hession (Athenry AC) 200m
    Joanne Cuddihy (KCH AC) 400m
    Derval O’Rourke (Leevale AC) 100m Hurdles
    Ciaran O’Lionaird (Leevale AC) 1500m
    Fionnuala Britton (Kilcoole AC) 3000m Steeplechase
    Stephanie O’Reilly (Sli Cualann AC) 3000m Steeplchase
    Alistair Cragg (Clonliffe Harriers) 5000m
    Deirdre Ryan (DSD AC) High Jump
    Tori Pena (Finn Valley AC) Pole Vault
    Robert Heffernan (Togher AC) 20km Walk
    Olive Loughnane (Loughrea AC) 20km Walk
    Colin Griffin (Ballinamore AC) 50km Walk
    Women’s 4×400m Team from
    Joanne Cuddihy (KCH AC)
    Marian Andrews-Heffernan (Togher AC),
    Claire Bergin (DSD AC)
    Michelle Carey (Dublin Striders AC).
    Jessie Barr (Ferrybank AC)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

Are rte gonna be covering these championships?

gfgfgf14 wrote: »
    Are rte gonna be covering these championships?

I don't think they are. Might get highlights show at night if we're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, after top class boxing, no sport compares to throwing, jumping and running!

Delilah DiCrescenzo from the song "Hey There Delilah is on the US team in the 3k Steeple. I remember telling everyone that song was about a runner when it came out and no-one believed me :rolleyes:

Just looking at the timetable again and there's gonna be some late nights, goes on till 4:30am some nights and back up for Midday :eek:

Delilah DiCrescenzo from the song "Hey There Delilah is on the US team in the 3k Steeple. I remember telling everyone that song was about a runner when it came out and no-one believed me :rolleyes:

Just looking at the timetable again and there's gonna be some late nights, goes on till 4:30am some nights and back up for Midday :eek:

As far as I know she pulled out in the last few days

ecoli wrote: »
    As far as I know she pulled out in the last few days

Didnt spot that, a few dropping out recently. I ownder has it anything to do with the new drug testing procedure in place for Daegu (testing everyone) or is it just coincidence.

Didnt spot that, a few dropping out recently. I ownder has it anything to do with the new drug testing procedure in place for Daegu (testing everyone) or is it just coincidence.

YOu are always gonna get withdrawals i think now they are more publicized there is a bit of a witch hunt going on. I think also the fact the new passport system which is being discussed that feigning injury would be a short term fix personally I would be more suspicous of " suprising early retirements" rather than injuries over the next few years.

Injuries are part an parcel of the sport and to be expected coming up to a major championship

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

It is a great thing that these blood passports have been introduced, it is re-assuring to know that those drug cheats are finding it harder and harder to hide these days. However, I hope the world championships in Daegu are remembered for great athletic performances rather than failed drugs tests and witch hunts. Anyway, really looking forward to the champs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The testing sounds great alright, but as usual, I am sure the red herrings and sad excuses wil be rolled out, and each country will defend their own and not much will change.

• Advertisement

Whatever about Mulaudzi, no Vlasic would be a big loss to the championships.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/14564605.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭runjb

At press conference today, Vlasic confirms she's in for the Worlds. She won't be at full throttle but claimed she doesn't want to have any regrets as she looks back on her career etc.

Christina Vukicevic is out for Norway, one less opponent for Derval!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/06/12/02/61202_PDF_English.pdf

Provisional start list.

Why are there 4 americans down for the Womens Hurdles and only 3 Jamaicans? Shouldn't it be the other way around as Jamaica have the defending champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭james1992

Suppose but not many jamicans have met the A entry standard...
    USA probely just entered 4 incase 1 got injured before it starts so they can put ginnie crawford in then.... she is there reserve..

vukicevivc on the list as well but has confirmed she will not compete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

These are going to be a low key champs but being on the right timezone for them, I'm really looking forward to it.

Hopefully Jessica Ennis sparkles again. This woman will be the star of the show in London next year if she stays fit. She is precisely the type of athlete and person the sport needs as a 'poster girl'. She ran 12.79 to beat Derval in Loughborough. How good could she be at the hurdles if she wasn't training for 6 other events too!!

From an Irish point of view, I think we will see another NR for Derval as she appears to be in great shape without having competed to her full potential. That's pretty much exactly the situation she tends to excel from. Also would like to see Fionnuala Britton approach the NR and make the steeple final as she has been having an excellent season while flying slightly under the radar.

I'm fascinated to see how O'Lionaird goes too.

^ You're right, with the evening sessions on during the day it will be fairly low key. Doesnt stop it being the worlds largest sporting event in 2011 :) Rugby fans don't like hearing that but it's true.

Good previews here;

http://daegu2011.iaaf.org/NewsEventPreviewsList.aspx?page=1

I'm just waiting for the bookies to release their odds. Only the 100m so far. Yohan Blake 12/1 with Skybet looks tasty. They have me limited to a max profit of £50 per bet on athletics after i cleaned them out during the summer though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

^ You're right, with the evening sessions on during the day it will be fairly low key. Doesnt stop it being the worlds largest sporting event in 2011 :) Rugby fans don't like hearing that but it's true.

Good previews here;

http://daegu2011.iaaf.org/NewsEventPreviewsList.aspx?page=1

I'm just waiting for the bookies to release their odds. Only the 100m so far. Yohan Blake 12/1 with Skybet looks tasty. They have me limited to a max profit of £50 per bet on athletics after i cleaned them out during the summer though :p

Did you lose money on the women's 800m at nationals? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Tangle2

Did you lose money on the women's 800m at nationals? ;)

Let it go! Its getting boring. :rolleyes: That thread was closed so try keep this one on topic not the the worlds are upon us.

I must say I'm looking forward to the mens 400 and 800. The standard in the 400m is not what is was previously but will it re-ignite in Korea?
    Its fascinating to see if Rudisha can convert his grand prix dominance into championship success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

So we have 13 athletes going ???

Just said id list them as i couldnt find one. (maybe i am blind though)

Deirdre Ryan : high jump
    Tori Pena : Pole vault
    Jason Smyth : 100 meters
    Ciaran O Lionaird : 1500m
    Joanne Cuddihy : 400m
    Fionnuala Britton : 3000m SC
    Colin griffin : 50k walk
    Stephanie Reily :3000m SC
    Alistar craig: 5000m
    Robert Heffernan: 50K, 20k walk
    Paul hessian : 200m
    Olive Loughnane :20k walk
    Derval O Rourke :100mH

Am I missing any?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

BobMac104 wrote: »
    So we have 13 athletes going ???

Just said id list them as i couldnt find one. (maybe i am blind though)

Deirdre Ryan : high jump
    Tori Pena : Pole vault
    Jason Smyth : 100 meters
    Ciaran O Lionaird : 1500m
    Joanne Cuddihy : 400m
    Fionnuala Britton : 3000m SC
    Colin griffin : 50k walk
    Stephanie Reily :3000m SC
    Alistar craig: 5000m
    Robert Heffernan: 50K, 20k walk
    Paul hessian : 200m
    Olive Loughnane :20k walk
    Derval O Rourke :100mH

Am I missing any?

Jessie Barr is in the 4 x 400 metres relay I think. I can't remember which event, but I know she's on the start list. Her name sticks out as she's so incredibly hot :P

Advertisement