Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Track season Results

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

walshb wrote: »
    Just an observation, that is all. Just amazed that 40 years' ago we had men who were running that fast.

And jumping long, that was Bob Beamon's time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    And jumping long, that was Bob Beamon's time too.

Yes, the altitude was a big factor. I seem to recall that Lee Evans, was it, that ran the 400 m record that year too. 43.85 secs? That record was untouchable for many years until Butch Reynolds broke it in 1988.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Meadows out in semis :( Tomlinson out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Meadows out in semis :( Tomlinson out

Vessey is one of the most infuriating runners around. So much potential but is so inconsistent. Glad to see this years change of approach seems to being benefiting her though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

ecoli wrote: »
    Vessey is one of the most infuriating runners around. So much potential but is so inconsistent. Glad to see this years change of approach seems to being benefiting her though

She was talking this week about uppin gher aerobic work this season and it paying off.

Semenya looks to be back in her unbeatable form of 2009. Very strange considering the season she has had. The rumours about her tanking circuit races on purpose do not seem as ridiculous to me now!

Anyway, come on Vivian Cheruiyot in the 5k!! Do the double of Kenya!

• Advertisement

Not usually a field event fan but this is a cracking competition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Brilliant stuff alright in the javelin, pity it doesnt have more coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Brilliant stuff alright in the javelin, pity it doesnt have more coverage

Javelin is amazing, and best thing is both Abakumova and Spotakova are part of my fantasy team!

Dan man wrote: »
    Javelin is amazing, and best thing is both Abakumova and Spotakova are part of my fantasy team!

Nice, i get 12 points twice for Cheryuiot after she wins the 5k now right? :)

Was half tempted by the 4/9 but i've my money made on her

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Dan man wrote: »

Second last throw from Abakumova was something else.

• Advertisement

s half tempted by the 4/9 but i've my money made on her

1.55 - 1.60 on betfair. Heavily involved. Come on Vivian.

1.55 - 1.60 on betfair. Heavily involved. Come on Vivian.

Got 100 on in the end at 1/2. 20 on VCB then at 7/2 :p, sorry i didn't have more on.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

Anyone else notice that the Russian lass Abakumova who won the javelin isn't a bad looking bird????

Anyone??

No???

I'll get me coat..........

Knew I should have posted this in AH!!!!!

Anyone else notice that the Russian lass Abakumova who won the javelin isn't a bad looking bird????

Anyone??

No???

I'll get me coat..........

Knew I should have posted this in AH!!!!!

Something about a woman with a spear kinda scares me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hands up anyone who's spotted an ugly Russian 'bird' this week?

I'm telling ya, Maria Sharapova would have difficulty making this Russian team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pherekydes wrote: »

Maybe in the shot?

I have a well tested theory that all Russian womens athletics teams are made up solely of either hot blonde women or middle aged looking women with badly dyed hair. Usually the balance tips in the favor of middle aged women like a big fat girl on a see-saw opposite a dwarf. Happily, this championships seems to be very much in favor of good looking ones.

EDIT: Perfect picture to prove my ridiculous theory.

russiaa.jpg

800m runner Maria Savinova looks a bit rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

Am I going to get in trouble for making this thread look like it should be in AH???? The one on the right is very nice........

Am I going to get in trouble for making this thread look like it should be in AH???? The one on the right is very nice........

i probably get banned for de-railing it fully (pics included)!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did anyone get splits for the 1600m relay girls?

I had a try on youtube and my effort is:

Mrs Heffernan 53.5
    The Med Student 49.9
    Bergin 52.2
    Carey 51.9

Take them with a pinch of NaCl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Managed to get into the press conferences tonight. They had a thing with Seb Coe, Segei Bubka, Frankie Fredericks etc before the evening session. Frankie looked like he didnt want to be there. A bit miserable looking to be honest.

Afterwards got to sit in on all the press conferences. Got to ask some of the athletes a few questions: Meseret Defar, Allyson Felix, Dwight Philips, Bershawn Jackson, Angelo Taylor and then a banter question to the South African relay team about who was going to win the Rugby World Cup. Ly Van Zyl said that Ireland haven't a prayer!!

Enjoyable evening. I wasn't going to ask questions as I am not working in the media for the championships, but the questions that were asked by most of the journalists were so poor and cringeworthy, that I felt I could do a better job, even with a few beers in me!:)

Felix looked pretty pissed off and didn't hang about after the press conference!

Cracking 4x4 race. Best one i've ever seen actually. Can't remember the last time the Americans were pushed so close. Just a shame it was Merritt who won it for them!

Oh and we were sitting in the athletes section just at the end of the finish line and Allyson Felix had the American flag in her hands just after her 200m final even though she was clearly pissed off. From about 10 metres away I shout at the top of my lungs "WE LOVE YOU ALLYSON" and no joke at that moment, she smiled very briefly before going back to looking pissed off again! :) Good oul craic!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

04072511 wrote: »
    Managed to get into the press conferences tonight. They had a thing with Seb Coe, Segei Bubka, Frankie Fredericks etc before the evening session. Frankie looked like he didnt want to be there. A bit miserable looking to be honest.

Afterwards got to sit in on all the press conferences. Got to ask some of the athletes a few questions: Meseret Defar, Allyson Felix, Dwight Philips, Bershawn Jackson, Angelo Taylor and then a banter question to the South African relay team about who was going to win the Rugby World Cup. Ly Van Zyl said that Ireland haven't a prayer!!

Enjoyable evening. I wasn't going to ask questions as I am not working in the media for the championships, but the questions that were asked by most of the journalists were so poor and cringeworthy, that I felt I could do a better job, even with a few beers in me!:)

Felix looked pretty pissed off and didn't hang about after the press conference!

Cracking 4x4 race. Best one i've ever seen actually. Can't remember the last time the Americans were pushed so close. Just a shame it was Merritt who won it for them!

"Hi <medal winner> I'm 1234 reporting for Boards.ie, could you tell me....????"

Go on, what did they say, or do we have to wait to hear you on the news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

robinph wrote: »

0404545538 writes for theRunningReview, I'd imagine they'll have the scoop. (Hate to see his expenses bill:D)

0404545538 writes for theRunningReview, I'd imagine they'll have the scoop. (Hate to see his expenses bill:D)

$04,072,511 at a guess.

robinph wrote: »

Haha, I had no laptop or anything. Wasnt taking notes. None of that. Just wanted to ask some proper questions rather than hearing the same dumb questions about how special is this moment, and when did you realise you had the talent to go all the way! I thought that being at the press conference I would get a good insight into the athletes thoughts on how the races went, their preparations etc but was getting none of that, so the only way was to ask a few questions myself!

The Rugby World Cup question was just purely for banter though as it was pretty much at the end of the press conference! Nobody else in the room had a clue what myself and Van Zyl were sh1teing on about!

Derval has been given a great chance of making the final thanks to a very kind semi-final draw. Still, top two will be tricky, but it's the easiest semi that I can recall her being in.
    http://daegu2011.iaaf.org/ResultsByDate.aspx?racedate=09-03-2011/sex=W/discCode=100H/combCode=hash/roundCode=sf/startlist.html#detW_100H_hash_sf

• Registered Users Posts: 55,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wow. Highlight of the day was Merrit in 4x400. What a run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Did anyone get splits for the 1600m relay girls?

I had a try on youtube and my effort is:

Mrs Heffernan 53.5
    The Med Student 49.9
    Bergin 52.2
    Carey 51.9

Take them with a pinch of NaCl.

Yes a few people got her sub 50, nice even on a roll.

Advertisement